Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #31
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I got the same advert about the free book on their site. I read over the instructions, looked at the books offered, and just laughed. Way too many hoops to jump for books that aren't worth it.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #32
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The fiscal year is different. For many companies, the fiscal year runs October to October. I think it has to do with matching the Federal government and its contracting periods.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #33
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
We're overlooking two big US bookstores that are still in competition with Amazon. Google, for one, sells ebooks and tablets to read them on.

But my favorite is the independent bookstores. You can buy eBooks through a local store's web site. The Kobo eReaders they sell over-the-counter are very nice. All the other eReaders have a similarity of look-and-feel but Kobo's are unique--in a good way too. I think that as readers we have an interest in supporting the little local bookstores, supposing you're lucky enough to have one nearby.

You can find a nearby independent bookstore through Indiebound.com. Just click on the "Find Bookstores" button to start a search for something local.

http://www.indiebound.org/
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #34
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
We're overlooking two big US bookstores that are still in competition with Amazon. Google, for one, sells ebooks and tablets to read them on.

But my favorite is the independent bookstores. You can buy eBooks through a local store's web site. The Kobo eReaders they sell over-the-counter are very nice. All the other eReaders have a similarity of look-and-feel but Kobo's are unique--in a good way too. I think that as readers we have an interest in supporting the little local bookstores, supposing you're lucky enough to have one nearby.

You can find a nearby independent bookstore through Indiebound.com. Just click on the "Find Bookstores" button to start a search for something local.

http://www.indiebound.org/
The indies matter, at least in theory.
They'll matter more if the publishers switch to watermarking or, better yet, drop DRM altogether. Then they could fish in the kindle ocean. Until then, they'll be limited to the Adept DRM ecosystem and that runs in the single digits. And that is including Kobo, Sony, and Google.

By all reports the generic Adept ecosystem runs a distant fourth behind Kindle, Nook, and iBook. If Nook were to totally implode (instead of being sold and renamed) their 15% share would be fair game and the generic Adept camp would be the likely beneficiaries.

But that's jumping the gun.
Nook's share might be eroding as the market grows but their installed base remains. Poaching *that* is going to be a bit harder than capturing newcomers. My expectations are that the first device maker that brings eReader DRM support inside their gadget (and better yet, their ebookstore) is going to have a leg up on the rest of the field. Since Google doesn't have an ereader, that race is going to be run by Sony and Kobo.

In fact, if and when Nook goes up for sale Sony had better be front and center. They have wasted bigger sums on lesser efforts and their finances are actually looking sideways these days.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #35
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Olympus deserves death.
Seriously rotten inside and run like a criminal organization.
Of all the companies on this warning list they are the most likely to fall.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banya...lympus-scandal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal
O.K. hang the miscreants!

But some of us have used Olympus cameras a long time.
(Matter of fact I have quite a few.)

The only complaint I have against them is their use of the proprietary xD memory card which Fuji-film also uses. My wife has one of those cameras because I decided to be sure the cards in all the cameras would be interchangeable.

(Granted now, supposedly everyone is going to standardize on SD.).

Essentially I love the Olympus camera technology,

and I want it to survive!

(There have to be a lot of us out there too.)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #36
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have an Olympus camera that is made for underwater use. It is great. We love it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #37
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
So these are the Barnes and Noble instructions to get a free Nook book:

"How to Get Your FREE NOOK Book:
"1.From this list below, choose which NOOK Book you want to purchase and which NOOK Book you want to receive for free (the free NOOK Book will be the lower-priced). Then visit any Barnes & Noble retail store.

"Print a PDF of the qualifying NOOK Books here.

"2.At checkout, the cashier will ask for your email address. Your store receipt will feature access codes for the two (2) NOOK Books, and you will receive access codes via email as well.

"3.Visit BN.COM/redeem and use your access codes to receive your purchased and free NOOK Books."

I don't understand why there are so many steps. Why should you have to visit a B&M store at all? If you get this message in your e-mail then Barnes & Noble must already have your address and should be able to give you a discount code that way.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #38
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
B&N is trying to drive activity in their stores. I think they figure that, if you drive all the way to a B&M store, you'll at least look around, and maybe you'll buy something else in addition to their free book.

Also note, the BOGO deal is only for selected ebooks.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #39
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There is just no vision in that company, and some companies are like that. Go to the official Nook forum and it's so obvious. So a company with no vision aligns itself with another company with no vision. And that's suppose to work?
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
B&N is trying to drive activity in their stores. I think they figure that, if you drive all the way to a B&M store, you'll at least look around, and maybe you'll buy something else in addition to their free book.
Oh, they have a deeper vision than that.

Once you drive the 30 miles to the nearest temple of literature, you will be overcome by the smell of all those pbooks and you will fall to your knees and tearfully epent your sins against literary culture and swear never to buy an ebook again.

Or so they think...
Old 05-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #41
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
For Amazon a proprietary DRM makes sense--no adobe tax=competitive advantage--but Nook *is* paying Adobe to support their drm anyway!
Also, Amazon doesn't try to force it's customers to do business with the evil twins microsoft and apple.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #42
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Also, Amazon doesn't try to force it's customers to do business with the evil twins microsoft and apple.
Would you rather Nook had gone belly-up last year instead of (maybe) next year?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Would you rather Nook had gone belly-up last year instead of (maybe) next year?
What has that got to do with copying books to reader internal storage?

I can copy books from my various computers to my kindle, pocketbook, and onyx readers. nookhd+, not so much.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #44
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I can copy books from my various computers to my kindle, pocketbook, and onyx readers. nookhd+, not so much.
And what does that have to do with Apple and Microsoft?
That might be a Nook design decision but without some explanation it might be a non-sequitor to bring the oh-so-eeeevile ones into the conversation.
It certainly is none of their doing if Riggio and company think making ebook buyers jump through B&M hoops is going to earn them any extra retail business.
Other than MS throwing a truckload of cash at Nook, last year, they are not involved in this slomo trainwreck.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-27-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #45
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
Quote:

Really, because I can do it just fine using the cord it came with, dropbox, or with the calibre server. Not to mention a sd card that expands my HD+'s memory. I cannot figure out your problem. Please explain.
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote