Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Jmirko
Mostly a scribbler
Jmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue
 
Jmirko's Avatar
 
Posts: 146
Karma: 22197
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Device: Asus EeeNote, Irex Iliad & DR's, Hanvon N800, Wexler FlexOne
Question M92 - Scribbles on pdf template remain even after merging annotations

A few weeks ago I started using my M92 for taking handwritten notes at meetings at the office. Due to the limitations of the Scribble function (no search, no sorting, troublesome archiving), I am using the workaround of scribbling on blank pdf templates.
Until a few days ago, it was fine: I created a single, 10-page, lined pdf as my template. I wrote my notes on this pdf, and at the end of the meeting I used the "merge annotations" function. This created another pdf with a similar file name (adding the date and time at the end of the filename), and automatically cleared the original template. I then renamed the second (merged) pdf using my own convention. When I opened the original pdf template, it was blank again, so I could re-use it.

A few days ago, this changed. After merging, the original template was not cleared, but still had my notes from the meeting.
At first, I manually erased the notes and re-used the template, but the problem remained - after the next meeting, my notes would not be cleared from the template after merging.
When I connect the M92 to a computer and open the pdf template, it looks blank. This is because the scribbles are actually stored in a .sketch file in the folder ".onyx". If I delete this file, the template becomes blank again (also when viewed on the M92). However, after the next use the "merge" function again fails to clear the template.

Can anyone offer any advice about how to fix this? (The device is from Booxtor and runs firmware 1.8 20130425)

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Please do not suggest these workarounds:
- install file manager to manually delete the .sketch file each time;
- prepare several templates and use a different one for each meeting.
I am irritated enough that the Scribble function is unusable for its purpose. I am not happy with the limitations of the pdf workaround (no page insert/delete, need to merge scribbles before re-using the template, inability to edit the writing after merging). Any more inconvenience and I will migrate back to my EeeNote, my Iliad, or my Hanvon N800, and put the M92 on the shelf/ebay. But I would rather find a solution and keep using my M92, because the hardware is gorgeous...
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
FMP
Enthusiast
FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
Posts: 28
Karma: 5106
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
A few weeks ago I started using my M92 for taking handwritten notes at meetings at the office. Due to the limitations of the Scribble function (no search, no sorting, troublesome archiving), I am using the workaround of scribbling on blank pdf templates.
Until a few days ago, it was fine: I created a single, 10-page, lined pdf as my template. I wrote my notes on this pdf, and at the end of the meeting I used the "merge annotations" function. This created another pdf with a similar file name (adding the date and time at the end of the filename), and automatically cleared the original template. I then renamed the second (merged) pdf using my own convention. When I opened the original pdf template, it was blank again, so I could re-use it.

A few days ago, this changed. After merging, the original template was not cleared, but still had my notes from the meeting.
At first, I manually erased the notes and re-used the template, but the problem remained - after the next meeting, my notes would not be cleared from the template after merging.
When I connect the M92 to a computer and open the pdf template, it looks blank. This is because the scribbles are actually stored in a .sketch file in the folder ".onyx". If I delete this file, the template becomes blank again (also when viewed on the M92). However, after the next use the "merge" function again fails to clear the template.

Can anyone offer any advice about how to fix this? (The device is from Booxtor and runs firmware 1.8 20130425)

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Please do not suggest these workarounds:
- install file manager to manually delete the .sketch file each time;
- prepare several templates and use a different one for each meeting.
I am irritated enough that the Scribble function is unusable for its purpose. I am not happy with the limitations of the pdf workaround (no page insert/delete, need to merge scribbles before re-using the template, inability to edit the writing after merging). Any more inconvenience and I will migrate back to my EeeNote, my Iliad, or my Hanvon N800, and put the M92 on the shelf/ebay. But I would rather find a solution and keep using my M92, because the hardware is gorgeous...
What I do is to open a blank template (with an imperceptible dot at the top right corner so that it can be merged) that I open and immediately merge to produce a new blank pdf file on which I take notes (by closing the template and opening the new file, which conveniently has the date and time). This is a workaround with the minimal amount of overhead that I could come up with. Hope it helps.
FMP is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue
 
Mono's Avatar
 
Posts: 699
Karma: 13333
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Boox M92
Also you may use peterx's scrible app. Also the suggestion with dot and merge is quite cool... It is possible to edit scribles in merged pdf on PC. And also delete and add pages... Or merge several pdf's.

The behaviour of pdf merge scribles always worked as you describe and i consider it correct behaviour. The scribles should not disapear/be erased after merge.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Jmirko
Mostly a scribbler
Jmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue
 
Jmirko's Avatar
 
Posts: 146
Karma: 22197
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Device: Asus EeeNote, Irex Iliad & DR's, Hanvon N800, Wexler FlexOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMP View Post
What I do is to open a blank template (with an imperceptible dot at the top right corner so that it can be merged) that I open and immediately merge to produce a new blank pdf file on which I take notes (by closing the template and opening the new file, which conveniently has the date and time). This is a workaround with the minimal amount of overhead that I could come up with. Hope it helps.
Thanks FMP, that's a great idea - I should have thought of it myself. As you say, a minor inconvenience, but acceptable. A workaround for the workaround, as it were :-)
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Jmirko
Mostly a scribbler
Jmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue
 
Jmirko's Avatar
 
Posts: 146
Karma: 22197
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Device: Asus EeeNote, Irex Iliad & DR's, Hanvon N800, Wexler FlexOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Also you may use peterx's scrible app. Also the suggestion with dot and merge is quite cool... It is possible to edit scribles in merged pdf on PC. And also delete and add pages... Or merge several pdf's.

The behaviour of pdf merge scribles always worked as you describe and i consider it correct behaviour. The scribles should not disapear/be erased after merge.
Thanks, Mono.
I installed the latest (?) version of peterx's scribble app (scribble_static.zip, from Jan 12, 2013), but it's very disappointing, probably due to incompatibility with my firmware. I will ask my questions in the relevant thread.
Of course one can edit pdf's on a pc (with the right software), but I think such simple operations should be possible on the M92 directly. The software of the $200 Asus EeeNote is very simple but should be studied closely by Onyx sw designers in this respect
Maybe you are right and scribbles "should not" disappear from the template after merging, however they did for my first 1-2 weeks of use, and I was very happy with this - so for me, that was the "correct behavior"
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue
 
Mono's Avatar
 
Posts: 699
Karma: 13333
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Boox M92
Try to ask Booxstor to get it (blank page insertion & page deletion for pdf) implemented.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
Jmirko
Mostly a scribbler
Jmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueJmirko can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue
 
Jmirko's Avatar
 
Posts: 146
Karma: 22197
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Device: Asus EeeNote, Irex Iliad & DR's, Hanvon N800, Wexler FlexOne
Good idea. I am actually working on a table comparing the handwriting functions of 5 devices. It shows that the M92 is lackluster when it comes to handwriting support. Based on this I plan to request several functions, and page insertion/deletion will be high on the list.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clear template, m92, merge annotations, scribble

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M92: Merging of Scribbles is unusable! Valec Onyx Boox 12 01-18-2013 02:45 AM
M92 PDF scribbles initx Onyx Boox 17 11-30-2012 05:26 PM
Boox M92 merging annotations problem Ulixes Onyx Boox 2 08-13-2012 06:52 AM
Problem with merging scribbles to PDF file MikeTr iRex 2 01-15-2010 04:45 AM
Merging Scribbles with Pdf jæd iRex 15 12-20-2006 05:40 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.