Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
Quexos
In limbo
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Ipad Mini Retina
I keep all my books in my Aura and Glo library, alphabetically sorted too.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Sorted by place of purchase, stored in the cloud, a backup of this file kept on a different cloud.

On my reader I use shelves, organized by genre and / or author.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 AM   #18
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (first gen), Kobo Aura HD
Organising your ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
On my Kindle I put them into Collections by genre and by series.
My books on my Kindle are organized exactly the way you do it. It's more manageable and easier to find a book that way than having to scroll through a long list.

Last edited by Gazella; 05-12-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
crossi
Fanatic
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Calibre library in Dropbox organized by author and series. On my Kindle in collections of Authors's names with a few in general genres. My one wish is that the collections were alphabetical instead of by last opened. Better yet I wish I could choose how I wanted my collections sorted.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, T2; KPW2; iPad Mini Retina; Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I use Calibre to organize and remove the DRM. I also use tags and series to have collections created for me on my 650. No need to jailbreak/hack or not have it work at all for creating collections.

I bought a cheap nook STR from Radio Shack and I cannot use Calibre to manage collections. Also, the fonts are lighter then on my 650. I'm serious considering returning it.
I don't bother with Collections on my Nook STR & Glow. Use calibre's save template for send to device to organize your books into folders based on your existing tags /columns / series and then browse them on your Nook using My Files. Here's a post with further explanation.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=20

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 05-12-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T3, Kindle 3, iPad2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I use Calibre.
After disinfecting them, I'll assign genre & series tags, as well as editing covers if missing.
Quote:
I use Calibre to organize and remove the DRM. I also use tags and series to have collections created for me on my 650. No need to jailbreak/hack or not have it work at all for creating collections.

Yep, I do the same. Calbre with a sprinkling of Alf is one of those tools I cannot go without when it comes to ebooks and reading.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T3, Kindle 3, iPad2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
And if any go out of business, so go your eBooks.
Oh I know about that one Learned my lesson when the Agency 5 saga begun and Diesel denied me access to 3/4 of my purchased ebooks.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #23
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW; Nook HD; HTC Rezound
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I use Calibre.
After disinfecting them, I'll assign genre & series tags, as well as editing covers if missing.
This exactly.

On my kindle I have 5 folders: "Modern and Classic Lit", Mystery & Thriller", "Nonfiction", "Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror" and "Favorites". The odd YA, western, historical fiction, etc. I'll stash in one of those folders. The books I'm currently reading plus the next few I want to read are kept outside of those folders.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I use Calibre to manage my books including using tags to set up the collections on the Sony. I use the Reading List plugin in Calibre to send the books and get the books off of the device.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I made my own software, as i need to put my books where I want them, not where some software decides to put them.
I sometimes have different version of a book, i keep just in case (minor edits usually).

Folder sometimes author name, name of the series, and an "other" folder.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #26
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G/WiFi
Calibre library in Dropbox, and the local Dropbox folder is backed up by Carbonite. I keep only unread books and a few favorites and reference books on my Kindle, loosely organized into collections. With the Calibre library in Dropbox, I can download any book from that anytime via the Kindle web browser, as long as I have internet access.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #27
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Who does NOT use Calibre?

For people who read more than a handful of books a year, programs such as Digital Editions are very inadequate.
Katsunami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre is fantastic.

but most of the time I simply download into Aldiko from Feedbooks or Gutenberg. afterwards, I sync. specially to merge with whatever I pull from amazon
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #29
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
On my PC I use Calibre. On my Kindle I put them into Collections by genre and by series.
This.
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #30
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I used to work in a library so I have a "Fiction01" folder on my hard drive where I have sub-directories by author <last name>, <first name>. Every few months I take my un-sorted folder and organize things by dropping the various files into the author directories.

I have imported some of these into Calibre which is a great program, but I have not made it my central repository of all things yet.

I have ... 2 main e-readers. The kindle I share with my wife, daughter, mother and mother-in-law. A semi-steady diet of Pratchett, Reichs, Brown, etc. go here. All the popular/best sellers are on the Kindle.

The PC files I blip over to my Nexus 7 where I read using Moon+ Pro. The initial load of 150 books has been whittled down since Christmas, but I still have months of reading to do before I am ready to transfer new files. The PC files are back-fill of my SciFi library, Military, some technical and some like "Fifty Shade of Grey" which might make for awkwardness at the next family gathering.

Tech Note: I use an On-The-Go cable and "Nexus Multimedia Importer" to import files from a flash drive. No need to root my Nexus tablet. One file I wanted on the nexus was simply sent to "MyDrive" on my gmail account and copied down by the gmail client on the nexus.

BACKUPS

I have not quite filled up 4.6 gigs of space in my "fiction01" folder, but when I do I will start a new "Fiction02" parent folder. I occasionally burn a DVD and make a backup.

I probably should sign up for cloud backup because I know eventually this HDD will fail. But I buy Western Digital Black edition hard drives and the hard drives tend to last longer than the PC so I just pull the HDD, and hook it to another computer to recover my files. In .. 20 years I have never actually lost anything on a hard drive.

Last edited by FatDog; 05-19-2013 at 05:07 PM.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote