Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #31
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
I'll admit that Kobo could probably do somewhat better with the tracking system. I'm fairly sure that we don't ship out the devices ourselves, have a feeling Ingram is used to do the distribution, and it's possible that there may need to be some tightening up between our system and theirs to display things properly, get confirmation emails and such. It's not my area of expertise so I cannot really comment on it.

I think it's a little unfair to compare shipping something from Kobo with Amazon. I'd take a guess that Kobo's distribution is a little bit smaller than that of Amazon. It's possible this is because we only ship devices and accessories, whereas Amazon ships pretty much everything, up-to and including the kitchen sink, and therefore they have a very large existing infrastructure to deal with things, I believe they have many distribution facilities in the US and no doubt other countries too. I'm not sure on the size of our distribution setup, but it will probably be far smaller than Amazon.

There is also the fact of there being two countries involved here. If you're ordering from Amazon.com, then it is probable the item is shipping from within the US, so there isn't a border to cross, and everything that entails.

Oh, and how long has Kobo been shipping physical product vs Amazon, which could explain why things may be slightly in their infancy. It takes time to get up to speed and I'm sure Kobo is getting there, and learning from the experience. I wonder if you look back to the start of Amazon how many upset people there were.

Perhaps the real question is what part of the experience is the problem, is it the order process and notification of progress that is frustrating people, or is it the time taken between placing the order and it being delivered?

I've ordered various things, ranging from battery chargers, USB memory sticks, 11' umbrella covers, from Amazon, Dell, Costco, and others. I have had full processing and ordering information, tracking numbers from some, and for others, I've had the order accepted email, and then nothing, the product shows up at my door and two days later I get the full order history, tracking number et al.
I think what made me nervous was my credit card was charged right away and then nothing. No way to view my purchase from my Kobo account to check the status.

If my credit card had been charge simultaneous to being shipped, I would have been fine. Or if I had been able to check the order status in my account after the credit card was charged, I would have had no complaints. It was the fact that Kobo had my money and I had no way of knowing if/when my item would be shipped.

I did get an email notice right away when it shipped, so that was good and I felt fine after that, it was just before shipping notification when Kobo had my money that upset me.

Feel free to pass that on.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #32
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
To fill in the blanks...

Mine arrived on Monday, April 29
Espresso, no cover, shipped from Kobo in Mississauga, sent to Las Vegas, NV
Nice, I'm in Vegas too. Mine said it was delivered this morning at 8:19, but I didn't get anything. I realize this is a problem with usps with whom I haven't had a problem with before. I called them and they're checking into it.

Side note: If you need to talk to a human @ usps, dial their number and keep saying customer service over and over.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #33
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
I think what made me nervous was my credit card was charged right away and then nothing. No way to view my purchase from my Kobo account to check the status.

If my credit card had been charge simultaneous to being shipped, I would have been fine. Or if I had been able to check the order status in my account after the credit card was charged, I would have had no complaints. It was the fact that Kobo had my money and I had no way of knowing if/when my item would be shipped.

I did get an email notice right away when it shipped, so that was good and I felt fine after that, it was just before shipping notification when Kobo had my money that upset me.

Feel free to pass that on.
What bookworm70 said. I wouldn't feel worried if I could track a shipment. Or if I had a shipment notice. But my card was charged 5 days ago, and I've heard nothing since then. Not a good feeling. Feel free to pass that on as well.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #34
defygravity213
defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I ordered a Kobo Glo from the website yesterday. I am in California. About how long should it take to arrive?
defygravity213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #35
stoney77
Enthusiast
stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Elipsa 2e, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, iPad Pro, Kindle Oasis
defygravity213:

I ordered an Aura on May 1 and received my tracking number on May 8. I'm still waiting for my package (didn't arrive today) and there's been no update on the USPS Tracking site since the shipment arrived in Chicago on May 8. You might get yours sooner since it's a Glo.
stoney77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #36
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I ordered mine on 4/30 and received it on 5/8. I did email and live chat with them after I read the thread on here, because it seemed like my order floated in limbo for a few days. Then, I received a "mis-shipped" notification from the USPS the day before it arrived.

I had ordered my Glo from Powell's books and that process was quick and painless. I'm not really a fan of the Kobo ordering process, but I like the reader.

For those who haven't heard anything, I say give them a nudge. In my email, I politely stated that I was not pleased with their habit of charging your card right away. I also stated that Amazon does not do this. And yes, Amazon has more practice. But, I still think Kobo could use some help in the customer service department. That tier system is atrocious.

I do think the hardware has made great strides.

Last edited by voracious71; 05-11-2013 at 02:48 PM.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #37
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney77 View Post
defygravity213:

I ordered an Aura on May 1 and received my tracking number on May 8. I'm still waiting for my package (didn't arrive today) and there's been no update on the USPS Tracking site since the shipment arrived in Chicago on May 8. You might get yours sooner since it's a Glo.
One of my colleagues is experiencing the same. He told me he ordered on 02 May, received the USPS notification of a Chicago arrival on 08 May at 8:31p. No info since. I would not put much faith in the USPS tracking function as it is pretty useless. Typically there is only one entry (taking possession of package) and nothing else.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #38
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
AT least USPS is way better with tracking than it used to be. It used to only show if the item was delivered or not unless you paid about an extra $14 for tracking.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #39
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Well, IMHO, it is no better than it used to be. There is no real tracking and the postal "customer service" employees remain absolutely clueless regarding the status of customers' items. It's a joke, really.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #40
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Perhaps the real question is what part of the experience is the problem, is it the order process and notification of progress that is frustrating people, or is it the time taken between placing the order and it being .
In my case, it wasn't only the unreliable order tracking system & notification progress, but the complete, total incompetence of the Kobo customer service representatives. And don't get me started on the fact that there's no way to track a hardware order in my account - it's for ebook purchases only! WTF!!

My situation is thoroughly documented in the "Aura HD For U.S. Buyers" thread.

It's a good thing the Kobo hardware experience has been mostly positive because every other aspect of my 1st ordering experience with them was abysmal. Certainly not anything I would recommend to a friend or family member.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #41
defygravity213
defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.defygravity213 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I actually ended up cancelling the order because I found a store close to me with the Kobo Glo. Does anyone know how long it will take for the order to be officially cancelled?
defygravity213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #42
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think the problems must be country-specific because WHSmith in the UK didn't fail me. I selected free shipping (quoted as 3-5 working days from desp to deliv) for an Aura and a Sleepcover.

The Aura arrived on the 3rd working day and the cover, even faster, on the 2nd working day. I could have paid extra for faster delivery. I was able to see order progress on the website until despatch and I got timely despatch emails for both items. Order tracking would have been nice, but maybe that was only available for those who paid the extra for the 1st class delivery.
Jackie W, I think you are right. I ordered my Aura through WH Smith UK on 20th April. Had to use Parcel Motel (package forwarding service with UK delivery address in Northern Ireland) because WH Smith do not deliver to Ireland. Spent a couple of days waiting on stock, then my order shipped and arrived in Belfast, on the 29th April and for some strange reason it sat there for a whole day doing nothing. Dispatched at 11am on 30th April and I picked it up at 11.14pm that night at a Parcel Motel just down the road from where I live, having received an SMS text to let me know that it was ready for collection. Given the somewhat convuleted method of delivery that I had to opt for, I am impressed with the speed of delivery.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #43
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
Nice, I'm in Vegas too. Mine said it was delivered this morning at 8:19, but I didn't get anything. I realize this is a problem with usps with whom I haven't had a problem with before. I called them and they're checking into it.

Side note: If you need to talk to a human @ usps, dial their number and keep saying customer service over and over.
As I recall, my tracking used the phrase 'delivered to facility' which is their teasing way of saying it made it to your local point of distribution, next stop should be your residence.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #44
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Here's another datapoint for you:
  • Ordered Aura HD (Onyx color; no cover) on May 3rd. Order confirmation email showed up in about 5 minutes.
  • Credit card was charged on May 3rd.
  • ...crickets...
In case my location doesn't show up, it's headed to Pittsburgh, PA.

Xenophon
Update:

I got my tracking number by email this morning. Canada post picked it up on May 10th. USPS says it was processed through the sorting facility in Chicago today.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #45
stoney77
Enthusiast
stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Elipsa 2e, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, iPad Pro, Kindle Oasis
Xenophon, My Aura arrived today after leaving the Chicago facility on May 8. It took 4 days to get to Elk Grove Village, IL. from Chicago. It departed from there yesterday and I got it in this morning's mail.
stoney77 is offline   Reply With Quote