Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #61
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's why I use this with my Android tablet. The developer is a member here and made it for his wife's Kindle Fire. It's available at the Amazon app store as well.

I use it on all my Android devices.
Cool. I wonder if we will see a "choose your color"-feature on newer e-readers, with multi-colored LED's or something, so you can mix up your own front light color. I'd really love to put a faint yellow in there (One reason I don't like to read in complete darkness is because the Kindle is then pure white. At least it is to my eyes.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If, if, if if, if.

The point is: the battery life on a lot of newer tablets is perfectly adequate for a large (and getting larger) subset of the reading public. The subset of readers that the battery life is NOT sufficient for is getting smaller (and a lot more "iffy"). It's not exactly the dealbreaker it used to be in choosing a reader.

But... 'nuff said. Reading is the important part.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #63
evanft
Connoisseur
evanft can extract oil from cheeseevanft can extract oil from cheeseevanft can extract oil from cheeseevanft can extract oil from cheeseevanft can extract oil from cheeseevanft can extract oil from cheeseevanft can extract oil from cheeseevanft can extract oil from cheeseevanft can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The screen. I can't even use a front-lit reader without getting some eye strain, so you can imagine what it's like to try and read on a tablet.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #64
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Battery life isn't an issue-if you're smart enough to buy a tablet with replaceable batteries. For me, software is the deal killer. Or rather the inability to manage the software. Some day I might take a look at the Windows Surface tablets-but from what I've read I don't expect them to be much more user-friendly than Android. At least not the RT version. Probably better than iPad though.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #65
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Maybe a better question than the OP is "why *have* you chosen a tablet for ereading?"
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #66
Sydney's Mom
I Bleed Cubby Blue
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Fire HDX and Samsung Tab 2 and Note 8
Too many distractions.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #67
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Nook STR, Nook HD
I have both, an ereader (NOOK STR) and a tablet. I use my tablet for reading PDFs for work and downloading documents, articles, etc. I also have it so that my daughter can watch movies while traveling or play games.

I use the ereader for reading because 1) backlit screens give me headaches and as a person who gets migraines, anything that might increase the likelihood of a headache is a no-no 2) the e-ink reader doesn't have distractions like email, web browsing, etc 3) I can hold the ereader in one hand for much longer than the tablet 4)I can forget the charge it for quite some time and it is still usable, the tablet needs to be charged nightly if I use it every day.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #68
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite
Your last one purple, I read a real long time each work day, on the bus and the subway to the office, lunch time and the bus and the subway home. If I used my Kindle first generation for that the battery would never last.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #69
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Touch
for me.

1: Battery life
2: the tablet screen is irritating for my eyes after a while.
3: It's too heavy to carry around or read in bed.

however I DO use it to read PDFs of game books (for tabletop Roleplaying games). But that's to use for reference in the middle of a game, rather than read from cover to cover.
danskmacabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I had to make a business trip - a long weekend- a month or so ago, and it was a royal pain finding outlets in airports to plug in my iPad so I could use it. and the hotel I was in, although it had recently been remodeled, only had one outlet that wasn't being used for in-room lights, tv, fridge, microwave... and those other outlets were hidden behind heavy furniture. I usually travel with a powerstrip, but didn't this trip, and had to decide whether to charge my phone or my ipad over night.

Over Christmas, my family went to visit my folks. We had a nice hotel room, but with four people having to charge phones, ipads, hand-held game systems. and all, I was glad that my kindle didn't need recharging over that trip!
When my wife and I go away and bring out gadgets, we also bring a small power strip that has 3 plugs and two USB. The USB are fine for iPhones and my 650, but not iPads. And, the plug on the small strip can be rotated for best placement. It means we have two extra plugs at the least and maybe more if we are using the USB to charge our phones or my 650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #71
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 3 (Keyboard), Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Too many distractions.
This is the #1 reason I haven't purchased a tablet yet. Why would I read when there's the internet at my fingertips? (Rhetorical question - I would read sometimes, but the temptation to surf, email, game, etc would cut into my reading time.)

Secondarily is the weight. They're all so much heavier than my kindle & not as comfortable to hold.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #72
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
hi,

A tablet... hmmm, it's just too bright for me, like reading on my computer for a long time. I have tried it, and a Pandigital, but I just didn't like it. Plus the hours were shorter. So I don't see my myself ever getting a Kindle Fire or anything like that... unless they can fix it!
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #73
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
I have read books on LCD (laptop, smartphone) but prefer eInk. Placebo effect or not, it feels much easier on my eyes.
fratermus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #74
Teknikal
Evangelist
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Nexus-7
I've been giving tablet reading a go last few weeks since I got my first tablet a 32gb Nexus 7 now I have read happily on LCD devices before even going back as far as reading on the PSP and even an iPod Touch but truthfully I can't find reliable software on the Nexus and it's pretty frustrating to have to keep checking you haven't skipped a page.

I've given up with Moon + reader completely which seemed to be the most popular of the reader programs on Android I've found it pretty terrible and just can't trust it, compared to what I used to use on my old iPod (i2reader) Moon+ is a complete mess and believe me I'm no fan of Apple.

So I'm back to my Sony for now which I'm not particularly happy with either lately but at least I know it will forward a single page at a time and not randomly skip one or go backwards every few swipes, I do believe good reading is possible on a tablet but most of the software seems to be overly complicated junk.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #75
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
1. Can't read outside on LCD screen, 2. Tablet batteries would drain too quickly, 3. most important I can't afford to buy one at moment.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote