Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #31
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Nexus 4, iPad 2, Notion Ink Adam Qi, Kindle WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I like to read outdoors, there are fewer distractions, and I don't like fussing over batteries.

Incidentally, I do use a 10.1" tablet for reading. I've never had much of an issue with weight. Then again, it isn't as heavy as the iPad (which seems to be what most people mean when they say tablet).
I think my Nexus 7 is too heavy to read on for an extended time period. I like to be able to read using only one hand and I change position often so the tablet cannot rest on a table or similar.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #32
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
I use to read on a tablet till I got my Kindle Paperwhite. I agree with a tablet being heavier than a eInk Kindle. I don't have problems reading on the screen as some. I use to read on mine for hours.

My main issue is my Kindle Fire Gen 1 is not made for a large library of ebooks. As my Archive grows close to 5000 I find the Kindle app database corrupting and losing books. I have to rebuild it weekly and this can take up to 4 tries before it syncs correctly. The covers still don't show on non Amazon books sent to the Kindle Fire unless I rebuild the database. It's just too much a hassle and there is still no collections and font choices are limited. I have only three background colors to choose from: white/black/sepia.

My Kindle Paperwhite has features that the Kindle Fire doesn't and it's stable and adapts to any lighting situation. It's really lightweight and I can use whatever font I want on it. I have zero cover issues which is my main peeve about my Kindle Fire.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #33
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
My eyes like e-ink better.

But I do read work PDFs on my tablet; that wouldn't work well on my Kindle, particularly as I have to discuss the documents (which have page and line numbers) with people who have a paper copy or who may be reading them online.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #34
SteveEisenberg
Wizard
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I need a single book and news reading device which I can take anywhere. Being a text-oriented person, my K3 fully meets the need.

I do generally carry an employer-supplied, locked down, cell phone as well. Three devices would be at least one too many.

Also, given some of the places I travel through, I'd be a little worried about an Apple device, or any flashy color tablet, being stolen.*

Years ago, I used the monochrome Palm IIIxe, and then the color LCD Palm Z22, for what I now use the K3. So I'm not totally wedded to eInk. But being able to read in bright sunlight is a plus.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 2
I read big-ass, long novels for hours on end on my Kindle Fire HD (in all the dark, quiet locations I prefer to do my reading) with no eyestrain (and quite often one-handed even). I never read for more than 11 hours straight, and there's always electricity in the vicinity to charge it back up (usually when I'm sleeping and don't really require the device's services). I feel very little weight difference between it and my Kindle 2. Did I miss anything?

I thought the thread needed a little balance.

I too thought my eInk Kindle was vastly superior to any tablet for reading purposes (not to mention being completely averse to Touch technology). I thought that right up until the time time I started reading on a tablet. Took me all of about two hours to commit to the switch.

Clearly I'm in the minority here on MobileRead, but hey!... to each their own.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #36
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
A 10" device is too big and heavy to be a book reader and a 6-7" device is too small to be useful as a tablet. If I want to read and don't have my reader with me I use my phone, not my tablet.

Besides, I still prefer e-ink screens over even the best LCD screens for reading text. And yes, battery life is a major concern since I travel a lot.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you travel away from electricity a lot?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #38
theinfamousj
Zealot
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Tablets are an awkward size and weight to hold. Plus, sunlight renders them hard to see if not impossible.

I read on my phone, my handlet (Samsung Galaxy Player 3.6), and my Kobo WiFi. Each has its place. Outdoors is the realm of the Kobo.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #39
AlbertaCowboy
Proud Daddy!
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300, PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"
I've tried to read on my Galaxy Tab, even going so far as to try to adjust settings and colours. I still get a headache after about twenty minutes of reading text on my tablet.
E-ink is definitely the way for me.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #40
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Do you travel away from electricity a lot?
You can easily be on the road for 20+ hours before you arrive at your destination. And to have to frantically search for an outlet at every opportunity, to lug the cable and adapter in the carry-on luggage (quite often you need another adapter for different outlets in different countries) is quite a pain. And then you get to your destination and instead of resting you have to search for the charger? No thank you.

And try to find a place to charge in the country side in South East Asia. Not to mention that "charge once and then forget about it for weeks" is wonderful.

Last edited by HansTWN; 05-04-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #41
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm so tempted to get one of these. Not that I travel that much, and not that I'd be anywhere that a solar charger would be useful, but... come the zombie apocalypse it would be nice to know that my kindle would still be useful.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I concede that a battery that lasts for weeks might indeed be a must-have feature for a busy, world-traveling, avid reader who often visits rural areas where electricity could be scarce.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #43
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I had to make a business trip - a long weekend- a month or so ago, and it was a royal pain finding outlets in airports to plug in my iPad so I could use it. and the hotel I was in, although it had recently been remodeled, only had one outlet that wasn't being used for in-room lights, tv, fridge, microwave... and those other outlets were hidden behind heavy furniture. I usually travel with a powerstrip, but didn't this trip, and had to decide whether to charge my phone or my ipad over night.

Over Christmas, my family went to visit my folks. We had a nice hotel room, but with four people having to charge phones, ipads, hand-held game systems. and all, I was glad that my kindle didn't need recharging over that trip!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #44
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I concede that a battery that lasts for weeks might indeed be a must-have feature for a busy, world-traveling, avid reader who often visits rural areas where electricity could be scarce.
And by the time they have the elusive all-in-one, a phone with a fast color screen that unfolds or unrolls into a 10" or larger full featured tablet, weighs less than 300g, with a battery that lasts at least a week I will be first in line to get one, no matter what the cost.

And coming back to your above comment. Even though they may have electricity that doesn't mean you have access to an outlet until you get to a hotel or something. And then you would be reading with a cable attached -- no fun either.

Last edited by HansTWN; 05-04-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #45
glnnjnsn
Enthusiast
glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Nook Simple Touch
I use my tablet (7") and e-ink reader pretty interchangeably for reading. They each have their own strengths in specific areas, but these aren't significant enough for me to seek one out over the other.
glnnjnsn is offline   Reply With Quote