Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Sony PRS 350
Nook ST & Glowlight heavily discounted in UK

Argos, Currys, Sainsburys have all heavily discounted their Nook ereaders, is this a sign that a new one is going to be released or are these UK shops giving up stocking the Nook's due to poor sales?

Nook ST (£29) and the Nook ST GlowLight (£69) from the original £79 and £109 price, although the Nook ST has been on offer at £59 a fair bit.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Mort1997
Addict
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various models, K3, K4T, Nook Glow and Kobo Glo
The nook ST is £29 on the UK Nook site as well, the other models are described as TBD.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7, Nook ST
None in stock at any of those places that I can see.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs-650, KK3G, KPW1, Kobo Aura, Ipad Air, Ipad Mini 2, IPhone 5
In stock at Argos, and Currys. Argos also do a deal that gives a third off a case if you buy it with the Nook.

Question is why are they discounting so heavily. I am tempted as I have a large library with them now due to the Fictionwise transfer, but I don't know anything about the Nook or how the memory is split as I've heard it's restricted to the loading of non Nook books. I don't really want to go down the memory card route.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
In stock at Argos, and Currys. Argos also do a deal that gives a third off a case if you buy it with the Nook.

Question is why are they discounting so heavily. I am tempted as I have a large library with them now due to the Fictionwise transfer, but I don't know anything about the Nook or how the memory is split as I've heard it's restricted to the loading of non Nook books. I don't really want to go down the memory card route.
I guess it depends where in the UK you are. For 29 quid I'd have picked one up as a spare, but not available at any of the Argos or Currys near me.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2,Nook,ipad mini, galaxy note 3
I've ordered one from PC world but they don't have stock at the moment so not sure when I'll get it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Apparently they are discounting it for a limited time to celebrate the "Get London Reading" initiative (link).... sounds a bit like a good excuse for them to try and shift some units, but hey, why worry, it's a bargain whatever the reason for it.

You are right about there being limited space on the Nook itself, of the 2GB capacity only half of that is actually usable and of that only 250MB is available for non Nook books. The ability to expand the storage with an SD card is usually seen as a positive for an ereader though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I guess it depends where in the UK you are. For 29 quid I'd have picked one up as a spare, but not available at any of the Argos or Currys near me.
As Mort1997 posted, it's also available at the UK Nook website (http://uk.nook.com/tablets/nook-simple-touch) for £29 including delivery. John Lewis should also price match (not sure why they haven't discounted it too as it seems to be a Nook decision) if you have a John Lewis near you. At this price I would definitely buy one, but for the fact I already have to perfectly good ereaders for both epubs and Kindle books.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
As Mort1997 posted, it's also available at the UK Nook website (http://uk.nook.com/tablets/nook-simple-touch) for £29 including delivery. John Lewis should also price match (not sure why they haven't discounted it too as it seems to be a Nook decision) if you have a John Lewis near you. At this price I would definitely buy one, but for the fact I already have to perfectly good ereaders for both epubs and Kindle books.
Thanks, hadn't spotted that (sorry Mort).
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs-650, KK3G, KPW1, Kobo Aura, Ipad Air, Ipad Mini 2, IPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
You are right about there being limited space on the Nook itself, of the 2GB capacity only half of that is actually usable and of that only 250MB is available for non Nook books. The ability to expand the storage with an SD card is usually seen as a positive for an ereader though?.
Thanks for that information. The genre I read has its own publishers who sell DRM free ebooks so all of my books will be non Nook so that rules out the Nook for me, plus I have four Kindles so I already have spare ereaders. I don't need to go down the SD card route while Kindle doesn't seem to limit my non Amazon books so I'll stay where I am.

Thanks again.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

OK, ordered one from John Lewis (they are showing the discounted price now on-line). Will be ready to collect from tomorrow lunchtime.

Good price for a back-up reader.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Oh, and I popped into a large Currys shop in Birmingham today and both the Simple Touch and the GlowLight were on display at the pre-discount prices and staff hadn't heard of any price reduction. Strange.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #12
PeterLewis1709
PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos 101, Kindle 4NT
Asda also stock the Nook ST and Glow but had not discounted last night when I poped in, however managed to get a Glow from Argos at the discounted rate.
PeterLewis1709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I noticed the two Nook tablets have now also been reduced in price for a limited time as well.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
New nooks are released around June so I am thinking its more of them moving out the old stock.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
I ordered a NOOK ST on-line, but then I also picked up a GlowLight from Sainsbury's, since I had a Sainsbury's voucher. The GlowLight's a birthday present, so I won't be trying it out until next week!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote