Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Best practices for new Kobo users?

My Aura should be here tomorrow and I'm hoping some regular Kobo users can share their "best practices" to be a happy user. For example is it best to just keep everything on an sd card or is it better to use the main memory (or maybe it doesn't matter)?

I do have a pretty big Kobo library (363), but at this point my plan is to sideload my content as regular ePub's. Since I have 1,000's of books that aren't from Kobo I figure this will give me the most consistent reading experience.

I just figured I could use all of your experience to attain a better overall experience. Figured it might be useful for others too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
My practice is all sideloads because kepub handling bugs me and because I like to tweak my books; and main memory because I rarely travel, so I won't ever get stuck needing to do a reset and unable to reload my books. If I were to be going on a trip, I'd put a few books on an SD card just in case.

I maintain a reading list in Calibre so that if I needed to reload my books, setting up the reload would be quick and easy.

If you like to load your own fonts, read up on correct font naming - there are a few threads here. There is also a great tutorial on how to manage shelves with Calibre.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I use the sd card for sideloaded books. We have three readers on the go here, each with different epubs on them. When I got my Aura, I just pulled the sd card out of the glo I had been using, inserted it in the aura, and I was good to go. I read both kepubs and epubs--probably about 50/50. If I buy from Kobo, I always read the kepub.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kobo desktop software is not required anymore correct? Any advantage to installing/using it for anything?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Not really. I think it is slightly easier to use if you want to delete or sync a lot of kepubs to the reader. And I usually use it if I need to do a factory reset as it is easier to enter the userid and password. Plus the download seems to happen quicker. Because of that, I also use it is if I know a firmware update is coming.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I created a Kobo account for the sole purpose of device registration and firmware updates. I have a separate account for book purchases and I sideload everything. I prefer that Kobo does not sync my library to the device.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
My Aura should be here tomorrow and I'm hoping some regular Kobo users can share their "best practices" to be a happy user. For example is it best to just keep everything on an sd card or is it better to use the main memory (or maybe it doesn't matter)?

I do have a pretty big Kobo library (363), but at this point my plan is to sideload my content as regular ePub's. Since I have 1,000's of books that aren't from Kobo I figure this will give me the most consistent reading experience.

I just figured I could use all of your experience to attain a better overall experience. Figured it might be useful for others too.
Are your books currently organised in Calibre? If so that will give you some more options when sideloading.

I would recommend configuring Calibre's Kobo device plugin to send book covers, either with aspect ratio preserved or not as you prefer. As well as looking nicer it will speed up cover and thumbnail generation on the device. Sending black-and-white covers.will save some space too.

With earlier firmware versions there were some reasons to prefer keeping books in internal storage rather than on the external SD card, but with the latest (2.5.x) firmware and the latest Calibre version 0.9.28 (due out soon) those reasons probably no longer apply. As long as your card is not too slow (speed varies between cards, not necessarily in line with class rating) then it shouldn't make much difference where you keep your books anymore.

Unless it has changed in the latest firmware, Kobo devices only list the first author of a sideloaded book with multiple authors. If you want to see all the authors in your device's library listing then there is a plugboard you can set up in Calibre to make that happen. See this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=7

If you authorise your device for Adobe DRM then it is a good idea to make a copy of the .adobe-digital-editions directory (found in the device's root directory) for safekeeping. This way if you need to reset the device (either factory reset or logging out of your account) then you can just copy it back rather than reauthorising the device, which saves using up one of your limited number of authorisations.

I have never used the Kobo desktop software once, it is entirely your option to use it or not. I tend to think of it as just one extra thing that can go wrong.

Edit: Some other Calibre settings: When converting books, don't set Page_Setup-->Output_Profile to Kobo Reader, as this will size covers for the old Kobo readers and they will be far too small for the Glo or Aura. Set it to Tablet instead.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-25-2013 at 01:14 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I created a Kobo account for the sole purpose of device registration and firmware updates. I have a separate account for book purchases and I sideload everything. I prefer that Kobo does not sync my library to the device.
I think I'd prefer that as well. I assume that it would not be difficult to hook the reader up with my regular account if I changed my mind at a later date?
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Not difficult at all. You just have to log out (found in the device settings) and log back in to a different account.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
That's a great idea. It alleviates the worry if you lose your reader, anyone could log in and spend hundreds of $$ on books before you even get home to close the account.

What I just set up to sideload through Calibre that I like is listing all the books in one directory instead of in the root directory mixed around the device files. In the Device Interface Plugin for the Kobo, I use this for the template and all books are placed in Books\author name\title:

Code:
Books/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
I'm really curious about why you don't want your library synced to the device.

In regards to the OP.
I tend to keep perhaps 10 books on my "I'm Reading" list, which is what the devices / apps base their Library / All Content shelf from. When I finish a book I typically delete it via the website, which puts it on the Purchases list, from where I can restore it if I wish.
I don't have many non Kobo purchased books, and so they are side-loaded to the internal memory of the device. If I did have a large number I'd probably stick it on a SD card, just to keep things clean.

Last edited by Sharkus; 04-25-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If you need to deal with Kobo support, start repeating "serenity now".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That's a great idea. It alleviates the worry if you lose your reader, anyone could log in and spend hundreds of $$ on books before you even get home to close the account.

What I just set up to sideload through Calibre that I like is listing all the books in one directory instead of in the root directory mixed around the device files. In the Device Interface Plugin for the Kobo, I use this for the template and all books are placed in Books\author name\title:

Code:
Books/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
The problem doing it that way is that when you use the Reader's delete book, you'll be left with all those empty subdirectories. I would do it like...

Code:
{title} - {authors}
That way the Reader's delete won't leave behind the empty subdirectories.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
I'm really curious about why you don't want your library synced to the device.
I have bought many books from Kobo over the last few years and have read most of them. I only keep the next 20 or so books that I will read on the device (and of course the one I'm currently reading), syncing with Calibre about once a month.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you need to deal with Kobo support, start repeating "serenity now".
Been there, done that. The Aura is me giving them a second/third/probably final chance.