Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #166
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Eh. Compared to a normal mass-market paperback (screw hardcovers and trade paperbacks - waste of money and waaaaaaaaaaaay too heavy), you lose just a bit less than a vertical inch on a Touch or Glo (same 3.5" width, though, assuming some idiot hasn't set fixed margins and the device doesn't override that setting like it should; ditto for line spacing and justiication)
Since I had a paperback handy (Hal Clement's The Nitrogen Fix), I measured the amount of the page used for text which came out at 9cm by 14cm. On my Glo, the area of the screen being used for text measured at 8.8cm by 11cm -- I don't believe in wasting much room on margins. The 14cm for the woodpulp book includes about .8 cm above the book text used for the author name/book title and page number.

For those who are interested, the book measures 10.5cm x 17.5cm when closed while the Glo measures 11.3cm x 15.7cm.

So not a major difference between the ereader and the paperback in terms of what I can see on the page at one time.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #167
simond
Addict
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD,Kobo Mini,iPad Mini,iPhone, Icarus HD, Nexus 7
FYI WH Smiths apparently just shipped my Aura with 3-5 working days delivery.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #168
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Nexus 4, HP Touchpad, Nexus 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Because people will insist on comparing to hardcovers and trade paperbacks rather than mass-market paperbacks in order to make the device look better than it actually is (like they do when defending high ebook prices).
I actually find hardcovers less tiring than paperbacks. Sure, they're heavier, but you don't have to maintain a constant pressure to hold the pages open. (I hate breaking book spines.)

eReaders win on both counts, of course.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #169
Willa
Groupie
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Oooh - exciting
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #170
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony (J) PRS 650, Kobo Mini and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
FYI WH Smiths apparently just shipped my Aura with 3-5 working days delivery.
Lucky you!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #171
ottdmk
Addict
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Blackberry Playbook
My local Chapters has an Aura on display. Me likey. Now if I could just justify blowing $170 + tax on a new e-reader...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #172
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
What color was on display?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #173
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad mini, HP Touchpad, Aura HD
If I have time tomorrow I'm going to see if my local Chapters has one!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #174
ottdmk
Addict
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Blackberry Playbook
Onyx. It looked nice.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #175
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7, 10, Kobo Mini, Aura HD, H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Onyx. It looked nice.
How about the resolution and front lighting? Speed?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #176
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
How about the resolution and front lighting? Speed?
Check here: http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd/techspecs/

1440x1080 screen is the item that catches the eye. My daughter is thinking about getting one to read her manga. Otherwise, pretty close to the Glo in specs with double the internal storage and more RAM (I think) -- the only number anyone seems to want to quote for the Glo is the size of the internal SD card

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #177
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7, 10, Kobo Mini, Aura HD, H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Check here: http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd/techspecs/

1440x1080 screen is the item that catches the eye. My daughter is thinking about getting one to read her manga. Otherwise, pretty close to the Glo in specs with double the internal storage and more RAM (I think) -- the only number anyone seems to want to quote for the Glo is the size of the internal SD card

Regards,
David
Thanks, but I am well aware of the technical specs. I am interested in a firsthand impression/report from someone that has actually seen it.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-18-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #178
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo, Asus MeMO Pad HD 7
An unboxing video from recombu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26TTg20uOu8
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #179
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My Aura has shipped. I have a tracking number and everything! Knowing Canada Post, 5-7 day shipping will no doubt be 7.

EDIT The tracking number didn't appear to be in the system yet. It was, however the link in the confirmation email had a leading '. Once I removed it and searched for a tracking number that was all numbers (without the initial '), all was well. It should arrive (or so they say) on the 25th.

Last edited by taming; 04-19-2013 at 11:54 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #180
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I ordered mine yesterday (Onyx) and it appears to be out for delivery for today (according to Canada Post Website). So here I sit... and wait...
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote