Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-29-2014, 03:59 AM   #1
Bolsa
Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle fire
Angry How much Mem on NOOK GlowLight ??

I just bought the NOOK GL , when I connect to my PC via USB cable , my PC can see the NOOK, but when I did the property I see my NOOK GL mem only 507MB, I thought I will have 4GB mem.
Bolsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Firstly, it's important to get terms right. You're talking about storage space, not memory. Memory is what's used to run applications, etc.

The Nook's storage space is partitioned. You're seeing the storage that's available to store your own books; the rest of it is internal storage that's used by books you buy from B&N.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-30-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; iPad air; Kindle PW2; Kobo AuraHD
As Harry said--the Nook is partitioned--allowing for a very limited amount of storage for side loaded books. In my opinion, a very unfortunate choice by BN--especially in the newer glowlights after the elimination of the external SD slot.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:12 AM   #4
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo H20/Glo, Nook Glow, Kindle Fire HD6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
As Harry said--the Nook is partitioned--allowing for a very limited amount of storage for side loaded books. In my opinion, a very unfortunate choice by BN--especially in the newer glowlights after the elimination of the external SD slot.
I have an older Nook Glow and without the SD card I could not have sideloaded the books I have on it. It's another reason why eventually I can see B&N dropping out of the ereader market. They just aren't making competitive useful devices anymore.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
rcentros
Guru
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST & NST w/Glow, Kindle 4(Black) & Touch 3G, Sony T2 & Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have an older Nook Glow and without the SD card I could not have sideloaded the books I have on it. It's another reason why eventually I can see B&N dropping out of the ereader market. They just aren't making competitive useful devices anymore.
I see they've dropped the price of the Nook Glowlight -- and they're not saying it's a sale, they're saying "Now Only." I'm worried this may lead to the end of E-Ink readers at Barnes & Noble -- if it goes by the old discount patterns and then eventual discontinuation.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Depends what you want to do with it, of course. Half a GB of storage is enough space for several hundred typical novels, which will be more than enough for most readers.

It is of course necessary to make an informed buying decision. Had the OP done a little research before buying, it wouldn't have come as a surprise that the nook's storage is partitioned.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
NickyWithNook
Fanatic
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GlowLight, Kindle PW2 & Fire HD 6, iPad 3, Nook Tablet & Color, R
The Nook Glowlight is an awesome reader, but it's really only best if you buy your books from B&N anyway. If you're planning on sideloading, you might want to return it and get something else, but be forewarned that B&N doesn't have great customer service. Make sure you bring your reciept and be prepared for them to potentially be more difficult than you might expect. The customer service reps in the store seem nicer to me than the ones on the phone by a long shot, so if you have the ability to return it to a store, I'd go with that. (If you indeed want to return it.)

Or of course don't have all of your books on your reader at all times. Like Harry said, you can hold enough to have tons of options even if you're on a long trip and will be reading a large number of books. I'ts just that if you have a large collection of e-books, it won't hold everything.

Last edited by NickyWithNook; 12-01-2014 at 02:03 PM.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
kalwisti
kalwisti began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Depends what you want to do with it, of course. Half a GB of storage is enough space for several hundred typical novels, which will be more than enough for most readers.
I agree with HarryT's statement about user storage space for sideloaded books. On my Nook Glowlight (purchased around Halloween), I currently have approx. 130 books and am only using 10% of the 500 MB storage. That's enough to keep me reading a long while.

I realize that some people like to have their entire collection on the device, but I prefer to have a smaller, more manageable number. Considering that I'm coming from the background of a Nook Simple Touch with only 225 MB (built-in, without an external microSD card) storage for sideloaded content, 500 MB sounds like the wide open spaces ...

One comment on sideloading: I've not found it difficult / cumbersome to do on the Nook; 99.9% of my library is from Project Gutenberg (PG), PG Canada, PG Australia and/or MobileRead. Using Calibre makes it even more convenient -- especially for deleting books -- and the program manages both my Nooks without a problem.

So I wouldn't let any concerns about sideloading be a factor in deciding whether to return your Glowlight or not ... Just my $0.02's.
kalwisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:47 AM   #9
rcentros
Guru
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalwisti View Post
So I wouldn't let any concerns about sideloading be a factor in deciding whether to return your Glowlight or not ... Just my $0.02's.
All my readers, except for the Kindles, have SD slots. So far I haven't used a single one.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
All my readers, except for the Kindles, have SD slots. So far I haven't used a single one.
I can see their use for people who have very large files such as Manga, or some types of PDF, but I agree with you that they really aren't that useful for novels. How many books do you actually need to carry around with you?
Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 AM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; iPad air; Kindle PW2; Kobo AuraHD
Actually I'm sure I could manage with the 500m that the Nooks allow for side loaded books, but I guess for me it's really the principle behind B&N's decision to only set aside a limited space for side loaded books that irks me. It's a totally unnecessary restriction--as far as I know, no other readers do this. I know that Kindles and Kobo readers don't have this restriction. And I own a very aged Nook Classic reader that doesn't segregate space between B&N purchases and side loaded books.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
Calenorn
Zealot
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST
For those who want more storage, it is possible to find the NOOK Simple Touch (earlier model) for sale (new). It comes with a micro SD card slot. I have two with cards installed and they work fine.

Ironically, the best place to buy a new NOOK Simple Touch is through Amazon!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
rcentros
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Ironically, the best place to buy a new NOOK Simple Touch is through Amazon!
Or your local pawn shop. I picked up a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight for $20 at one. Not new, but in very good condition.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolsa View Post
I just bought the NOOK GL , when I connect to my PC via USB cable , my PC can see the NOOK, but when I did the property I see my NOOK GL mem only 507MB, I thought I will have 4GB mem.
This is one of the reason B&N is losing it big time. The idea of partitioned storage was a bad idea from day one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:15 AM   #15
rcentros
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is one of the reason B&N is losing it big time. The idea of partitioned storage was a bad idea from day one.
I don't get why B&N did it, but I doubt 99% of those who use Nooks even know about the portioning scheme. And, again, except for the newest Nook E-Ink reader, you always had an SD slot, so the portioning scheme was moot for those who wanted to carry their library with them.