Notices

Old 12-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
rosshalde
Zealot
rosshalde began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Nook Specific Issue with Padding/Margins

I am uploading two epub files.
One displays the way I want (called Catherine of Alexandria)
One displays with all extra padding/margins between all <p,h,div>(called test1)

This only happens on my Nook.
On Kobo Touch, iBook Sigil, and the converted Mobi on my Kindle there is no extra padding/margins.

If anyone can tell me what I am missing that Nook wants and that is different between the two files I am uploading I would appreciative.

I have been unable to figure out the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: epub A Story of St. Catherine of Alexandria copy.epub (1.12 MB, 12 views)
File Type: epub test 1.epub (9.0 KB, 13 views)
rosshalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
rosshalde
Zealot
rosshalde began at the beginning.

Device: nook
After doing a search on the forum, I used Calibre to do an epub to epub conversion with removing all spaces between paragraphs and expanding the CSS. This worked, but leaves me confused. I don't want to be bothered using Calibre to fix my epub. I am using Sigil and I know that program is capable of fixing whatever the issue is. I need help pinpointing where I went wrong.
rosshalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Calenorn
Zealot
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST
I'm using a NOOK Simple Touch. One thing that I have learned is that the NOOK over-rides the CSS for paragraphs marked <p>.

Specifically, if I change the CSS for <p> to set the indent to zero, the NOOK still indents paragraphs. To defeat this I had to edit the document to change all the <p> to something else, like <standard>. Then I had to add the format code for .standard to the CSS. After doing that the NOOK displays the paragraphs without indentation.

Bottom line: the e-reader has some default formatting that will over-ride the CSS code in certain circumstances.

I'm not sure if that helps, but best of luck making the machine do what you want!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
Section8
Zealot
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Nook ST, Nook Color, Sony PRST1
This is a .css snipet from test1.epub, which may be part of your problem:
Quote:
p{
text-indent: 5%;
text-align: justify;
font-size: 100%;
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}
The NST has a bug with the shorthand "margin", and (maybe) "padding" css rules. Depending on whether "publisher defaults" is enabled in the Nook (can't remember which way it goes), the Nook doesn't handle these.

Whenever I import an epub into calibre that I'm going to read on the Nook, I always convert all forms of the "margin" shorthand rule to the equivalent margin-top, margin-left, etc in the calibre epub editor as a workaround (the few regexes I've written were for this).

If you're doing a conversion to epub in calibre, somewhere in it's conversion settings there is an option to "expand css" (or something similar) that also does this.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote