Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #61
MikeB1972
Fanatic
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
I have no idea. I've seen some bad automated formatting on files from B&N. They're trivial to fix, and I could write a script in about half an hour to detect such automatically - and 25 minutes of that would be googling for instructions.
Trivial to fix for that book, the problem with automated scripts fixing problems with strange formatting is that it may fix the book you are looking at, but the same script may very well make another book worse.

I'm not sure but, I don't think B&N have permission to edit the supplied ePubs so they handle it the best way they can (Ignore / alter dodgy formatting in the display software).
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #62
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To future proof my eBooks, I use ePub and any DRM gets stripped. It's the only existing format that has a chance of being able to be converted to something else (IMHO). I don't know if ePub as we now know it, will survive. I hope whatever ePub we end up with will be backwards compatible.
+1

Another possibility:

Amazon allow books originally purchased as MOBI for older Kindles to be downloaded as AZW3 for newer Kindles without any costs invloved so . . .

I wonder whether ePub sellers, (e.g. KoboBooks), will allow ePub3 books, (when this format is released), to be downloaded for free if you have already purchased the ePub2 from them? This would be a way of future proofing although it could mean a lot of downloading if you have a large library.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
+1

Another possibility:

Amazon allow books originally purchased as MOBI for older Kindles to be downloaded as AZW3 for newer Kindles without any costs invloved so . . .

I wonder whether ePub sellers, (e.g. KoboBooks), will allow ePub3 books, (when this format is released), to be downloaded for free if you have already purchased the ePub2 from them? This would be a way of future proofing although it could mean a lot of downloading if you have a large library.
It all depends on whether the publishers release the revised ebook as an update to the existing edition, or as a new edition.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #64
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
+1

Another possibility:

I don't want to redownload books because I'd have to do that at at least 4 stores and then fix the metadat again and rebuild the Calibre library.

If at all possible, I'd want any epub3 device to fully support epub2.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote