|04-19-2013, 06:54 PM||#1|
Join Date: Apr 2012
Downloading an Ebook from Amazon Question?.
As an ex fisherman myself I came across the book in the following link by an author I know of and would like to buy it https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARGONAUT-ME.../dp/B00ANFCYVK. At first I was going to buy the book itself ie the paper version but then thought maybe I should save myself some money and buy the ebook version instead. When I clicked on the link to buy I got confused as I do not have a Kindle and if I need to download the Kindle reading app mentioned in the "How Buying Works" link in the main link. I have a Kobo ereader and use Calibre on my PC to keep my e-library backed up on. I read and store all my books in the epub format. I am 63yrs old and not very PC savvy so thought I would come here and ask for some advice on buying this ebook. Will I be able to read it on my Kobo using my set up as detailed above or do I need to download the Kindle software?. Many thanks in advance for any advice/help offered.
Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-20-2013 at 09:58 AM.
|04-19-2013, 07:02 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Device: Kindle 2, Kindle PW1,2, Kindle DXG, Sony 950, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
1. Yes, you will need to install Kindle software in order to purchase the book and get the book file to download. The book will download into a folder location on your computer that the Kindle app will create.
2. You can use Calibre to convert the book to ePub.
Last edited by pidgeon92; 04-19-2013 at 07:05 PM.
|04-19-2013, 07:03 PM||#3|
Join Date: Oct 2007
Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
1) Download and install Kindle for PC, then register it using your Amazon username and password.
2) Buy book
3) Open Kindle for PC and book should download to it after it does close Kindle 4 PC
4) Go to the 'My Kindle Content' folder in your PC's 'Documents' folder and there should be a file with a .azw extentsion (it will have a blue book icon).
5) Open Calibre and drag the book from step 4 into Calibre.
6) We know the Kindle book doesn't have any DRM to worry about because it's description says "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" so in Calibre click the Convert Books icon. Make sure Output Format (top right) says ePub if it doesn't already click OK and the book will convert to ePub* which you can then transfer to your Kobo for reading.
*There are various settings that you can play with in the conversions window, but try a basic conversion first and post back if you have problems.
|04-19-2013, 07:13 PM||#4|
Is that a sandwich?
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Searching ...
Or you can just buy it from Kobo (where it's cheaper using discount code)
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Downloading From Amazon||cos2147||Kobo Reader||5||12-20-2011 10:21 PM|
|Downloading Metadata question -||collin8579||Library Management||6||08-14-2011 10:13 PM|
|Downloading Metadata question v.08||zed88||Calibre||5||05-18-2011 05:08 AM|
|Question on downloading||MissLes||Amazon Kindle||4||01-10-2010 10:16 PM|
|Question on downloading non-Amazon content||MsAstoria||Amazon Kindle||7||02-21-2009 11:51 PM|