Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
T86
T86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Replacing my Kindle3

Hi!

I broke the display of my Kindle3 Keyboard yesterday and am looking for a replacement now.
I mainly used it for reading literary (mobi/azw) books and two column scientific articles, but also for pdf textbooks (which were just large enough to be readable in landscape format).

Here is a list of features that I used a lot on my Kindle 3 and that I would like to see in the new device:

The reader must have:
- A 6" non-glossy eink display
- Support for WPA-enterprise (eduroam)
- Some mode for viewing 2-column pdfs and zooming pdfs
- Content must be transferable from a linux pc, (I heard that is a problem with epub drm. Is this true?) preferably via wifi or sd-card (i.e. not plugging in the device via usb)
- Support for mobi or epub

It would be very nice to have:
- Physical buttons instead of a touchscreen (especially for flipping pages)
- A dictionary for looking up unknown words in the text
- A Collection, Shelf or Folder system to organize the books
- Page flipping buttons along the edges (so that it can be used single-handedly)

It would be nice to have
- More than 2GB of memory or a microSD slot
- A browser

I do not mind using some hacks to get these things to work. (This was necessary with the Kindle as well). I would mind using a dual boot system (like duokan).
I do not care whether it supports mobi or epub.

I am a little sceptic about lighted readers, because I am worried my eyes would get tired faster with this, but I have not seen one yet so this might be a prejudice. Is there anyone really having this problem?

The more common non-touchscreen readers I found in my first searches had no WPA-enterprise support (K4NT) or were too small for my taste (Kobo mini). I do not know about the Sony T2, but the tests seemed to say its technology is one generation older than its price.

I see there is probably no device fulfilling all of the above criteria. Which readers are closest and which would you recommend?

Thank you very much!
T86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
T86

Maybe my question was a little unspecific.

The most natural way for me would probably be to upgrade to the Kindle Paperwhite. Obviously it has no buttons and few memory without sd slot, but it is said to support WPA-Enterprise, has linux compatibility, collections and dictionaries.

What about its panel view mode? Would it be usable to read the columns of a document like www.aip.org/pubservs/style/4thed/sec2.pdf ? Is it posible to fit the screen width to only the middle column in http://arxiv.org/pdf/1304.0405 ? Will I then have to zoom again on every page or are the settings stored?
As far as I know there is no version of the kindlepdfviewer for this device (yet). Are there other alternatives (besides cropping the document on my pc)?

Are there things I might not like about the Paperwhite and which advantages (at the cost of which drawbacks) do other readers have in comparison?

Enthusiast
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
danicca
Groupie
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't know about ereader but I can answer linux question. It is possible to borrow library books, through there are some hoops to jump: Adobe is available only in windows version so you'd have to install it via wine, and use older version but there are really good tuturials on the net and once it's installed you should be fine. However, I do remember reading that sony ereader has ability to borrow books directly from library, no pc involved. I don't have sony, so hopefully someone else can give you more details.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
If your K3 worked well for your needs have you considered just getting another one? They're still available, as the Kindle Keyboard, and IMO one of the better devices out there.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
T86

@AnemicOak
I considered this, but so far I only found used ones around the price of a new Kindle Touch. If the price gap is not too large I would probably prefer a new reader, because I do not know what the reasons for selling the old devices were and because I would expect them to have a much shorter lifetime left.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by T86 View Post
@AnemicOak
I considered this, but so far I only found used ones around the price of a new Kindle Touch. If the price gap is not too large I would probably prefer a new reader, because I do not know what the reasons for selling the old devices were and because I would expect them to have a much shorter lifetime left.
Amazon still sells them new...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
T86

I didn't know that, on Amazon Germany they are not available anymore.