Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
cmamo3908
cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch
KOBO and Windows 8

I can't get my computer (windows 8) to recognize my Kobo when I plug it into the USB port. I don't get any messages or information at all that there is something plugged in....I have tried all the ports!! The KOBO will charge through the USB (so the cord works) when I do a factory reset on the KOBO but won't do anything other than that....The USB port works when I use it for my printer!! I have talked to KOBO and they weren't too helpful. Please help!!
cmamo3908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The two things to try are:

- Another cable. Even though it is charging, there might be an issue with another part of the connection.

- Another computer. If another computer can't see it, then it is the device. If the other computer can see it, then it is a problem on the Windows 8 computer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Do you get a prompt on the Kobo asking you to select whether to keep reading or to connect to a computer?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
cmamo3908
cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cmamo3908 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

No message on Kobo about connecting to a computer. The cord works as I had the kobo plugged into the wall and charging earlier in the day using the same cord. My Kobo worked on my last computer. The windows 8 was bought because my other computer broke!!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try powering the Kobo off and then attaching it to the PC via USB.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmamo3908 View Post
No message on Kobo about connecting to a computer. The cord works as I had the kobo plugged into the wall and charging earlier in the day using the same cord...
You missed the point. Yes the cord works regarding charging your Kobo but does the cord work in regards to transferring data to/from your Kobo or even lets another computer recognize your Kobo.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
jclim00
jclim00 is a marvel to beholdjclim00 is a marvel to beholdjclim00 is a marvel to beholdjclim00 is a marvel to beholdjclim00 is a marvel to beholdjclim00 is a marvel to beholdjclim00 is a marvel to beholdjclim00 is a marvel to beholdjclim00 is a marvel to beholdjclim00 is a marvel to beholdjclim00 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook Touch, Kobo Glo
No problems on the Win 8 machine on my end. Kobo recognized on a fresh install.
jclim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
cmamo3908

I see what you mean with the cord.....however....when I first plugged in my kobo in the computer it did manage to take off all the books that I had on my kobo and put it on the desktop KOBO (in the library area) That left my KOBO with no books on it at all except some set up and introduction page. Does that mean anything??
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
cmamo3908

ALSO.....after using the factory reset (as advised by KOBO) it will than start charging via the computer. But the computer will still not recognize it even though it is charging!!

Last edited by cmamo3908; 03-28-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up

It is possible that you have either a faulty USB cable or the USB port on the Kobo is damaged.

Humour us and just try a different cable.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmamo3908 View Post
ALSO.....after using the factory reset (as advised by KOBO) it will than start charging via the computer. But the computer will still not recognize it even though it is charging!!
Sometimes there are faulty wiring in the usb cable. The wires may get broke and break the connection. Some of the wires are for power and some are just for data transfer. IF the data transfer wires are broken then the power will still flow but the computer will not see the reader. Use a different cable and see if the computer recognizes the device. If the result is the same then perhaps windows 8 has not recognized the device and has defaulted to unknown device which would result in the device being just a fancy book end to the computer, (prob not the case as you indicated you do not see the cancel/connect message).. you will need to install the desktop software to install the drivers. If you have the desktop software installed you may need to manually install the drivers. So your next option is to try the reader with the same said cable on a friends computer or a work computer and see if you get a result there. The final option is the new computer maybe have a faulty board and may need to be replaced, if this is the case then other devices connected to the same usb ports will not be recognized either. You could do the extreme and do a factory reinstall on the new computer wiping out any issues and seeing if that resolves the problem. If the new computer was upgraded to windows 8 from your old HDD in the old computer your problem maybe the direct result of that upgrade resulting in a need to do a clean install on the computer. At that point you will need to back up any data you have and during the windows install format the HDD install the windows 8 clean. This will give you a clean install.

Good luck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Sometimes there are faulty wiring in the usb cable. The wires may get broke and break the connection. Some of the wires are for power and some are just for data transfer. IF the data transfer wires are broken then the power will still flow but the computer will not see the reader. Use a different cable and see if the computer recognizes the device.
To add a bit. If the wires inside are damaged, the connection will be noisy. A noisy connection for power won't disrupt chargng. A noisy connection for data will result in corrupt data. If the "handshake" on connection is corrupt, the device will not be recognized.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
To add even more points to this discussion which are similar to the previous two postings. The wires inside the USB cable for charging are a different set of wires than for data exchange. So the charging wires could work quite nicely while the data exchange wires don't.

Try a different cable on the same port with your Kobo. Or try a different device on that same cable and same port to ensure it's not the cable. Then try the Kobo on a different port as it's possible that that particular port is wonky.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
My Kobo works fine with Windows 8. Try another USB cable and if that doesn't help then try replacing the mass usb storage driver. Use Google on how to do this.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
cmamo3908

OK....so all is good!!

I returned the cable that didn't work and I got another one and it does......thanks for everyones input!!

Your help was better than KOBO's!!!

I am back to reading again!!!!!