Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Suggestion for a virtual keyboard hack (K5, KPW)

I was thinking: there are some apps for K5 and KPW in which keyboard covers the text form where you are typing (usually when the form is in the bottom half of the screen). Skipstone browser is an example.

I thought two possible solution for this, but don't know if they are doable and how much effort require.

FIRST IDEA
Add two little buttons to the keyboard (maybe nearby the keys A and L in the QWERTY one): one, to put the keyboard at the top of the screen, the other to hide the keyboard.

SECOND IDEA
I don't like the bar over the keyboard that suggest words completions (it's a bit slow to be useful, to me). Could it be hacked to display the text typed, instead of them? For example, sending every character pressed on the keyboard directly on that row? In this case, the backspace would also erase the letters in the stack to keep it synced with the form.
Obviously, there would be a problem when the user changes focus and the stack becomes unsynced with the text, but could be partially solved by cleaning the bar at every click away from the keyboard (= pointer repositioning).

THIRD IDEA ("better then nothing")
Make at least an hack to get rid of the aforementioned bar xD It would free some useful pixels...

Last edited by Aeris; 09-25-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
In terms of actually amending the onboard kindle keyboard AFAIK there is little that can be done. So with reference to editing the built-in keyboard - given the (now seemingly pointless) Amazon obfuscation war I think we can list this as "deeply unlikely".

When invoking it ourselves "as an overlay" to our homebrew apps there is some degree of control.

Not to retype Eureka's work the full details of invocation are here:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=28

I looked around for a few replacements actually recently... nothing "incredible" has reared it's head... should you find something AWESOME to port in the swanky OSK line.... I am all ears.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

or maybe something insane might do the job...
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/d...Languages.html

I like insane
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
brianinmaine
Addict
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
or maybe something insane might do the job...
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/d...Languages.html

I like insane
That IS insane! Go for it! I bet the interface is slow on a kindle, but it IS pretty nifty!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
twobob

Already built it...

Needs love though.

Nooooo Idea what to do with it though...

apt-get build-dep dasher
grab source.

hack titles.
build.

That's what I did so far.
running full screen ATM but yeah.. could be beaten into service I guess?

know more when I can actually use the thing :P

EDIT: Needs dithering in the interface to be helpful. sigh.
on the one day pile then
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_683.png
Views:	48
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	112150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_684.png
Views:	47
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	112151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_685.png
Views:	44
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	112152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_686.png
Views:	46
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	112153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_687.png
Views:	42
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	112154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_688.png
Views:	37
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	112155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_689.png
Views:	36
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	112156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_690.png
Views:	37
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	112157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_691.png
Views:	35
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	112158  

Last edited by twobob; 09-26-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
twobob

http://homepage3.nifty.com/tsato/xvkbd/#screenshot

Im doing that tomorrow.
I WILL get an interface I like for osmo...

I will...

Old 09-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #7
Aeris
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't like too much that kind of predictive interfaces... i want to know exactly where my keyboard letters are all the time xD

The last keyboard you have posted seems pretty cool instead It would be great to have a general purpose keyboard to integrate in every KUAL app that need it!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
Aeris

Ah if you need there is also kterm keyboard that is not bad... need only to shift a bit to the left the third row, and maybe some buttons removed to make the others bigger (- + [ ] ; \ /)

I'm already working to modify this keyboard layout under kterm, in the case it could be used also in other programs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_kterm_cubemike_kbd.png
Views:	56
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	112165  

Last edited by Aeris; 09-26-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Aeris

If anybody wants to try the modified version of kterm virtual keyboard, here it is the config file (replace the original one in /extensions/kterm/layout folder after backup it). I found that with this layout it is really faster, maybe also if compared to the kindle system keyboard. Is still an Alpha, I have to fix all symbols and secondary working mode etc.

TESTED ONLY ON KINDLE PW, not Touch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_26T18_43_36+0902.png
Views:	52
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	112169  
Attached Files
File Type: xml keyboard.xml (11.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Aeris; 09-26-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
twobob

nice
Old 09-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
Aeris

Could it work with osmo, Twobob? Maybe with the esc button to close it and another to put the keyboard at the top of the screen?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
Aeris

RELEASE OF THE UPDATED KEYBOARD

I've finished the editing of kterm keyboard. I only removed the F1 F2 etc. buttons; the other are still there, just moved around. Everything is bigger now, and the keyboard should be ready and usable for any kind of app (agendas, notepads, etc.). Let me know if there is something to fix in the new layout

NOTE: as pointed out by knc1, the keyboard its not so comfortable on virtual terminals. In fact, the layout is not thought for this kind of sofware, but still you can use kterm to test the layout and "imagine" to be using other kinds of apps :P
Btw, everything works now on terminals except F-buttons
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2012_12_01T10_22_10+0902.png
Views:	31
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	112201   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_12_01T10_22_29+0902.png
Views:	34
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	112202   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_12_01T10_22_53+0902.png
Views:	39
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	112204   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_12_01T10_31_33+0902.png
Views:	30
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	112206  
Attached Files
File Type: xml keyboard.xml (12.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Aeris; 09-26-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
You might want to mention that this layout does not support virtual terminals -
due to the missing F* keys.

I am not sure if switching between terminals was ever tested (or even implemented) in the Kindle version of kTerm.
So that feature might not be such a great loss.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
Aeris

Yes... in fact the main purpose of this work is to use match-keyboard on other apps, not terminals (text-editors, agendas, etc.) It leaks also alt ctrl etc.

Added a note to the post, thank you!

Ps i think I'll switch "shift" and "caps lock xD" buttons

Last edited by Aeris; 09-26-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Yes... in fact the main purpose of this work is to use match-keyboard on other apps, not terminals (text-editors, agendas, etc.) It leaks also alt ctrl etc.

Added a note to the post, thank you!

Ps i think I'll switch "shift" and "caps lock xD" buttons
Ah...
OK, I see that now.

You might want to re-consider the ctrl key -
Applications may still need the basic control functions, like ctrl-d, ctrl-c (and maybe ctrl-q, ctrl-s)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote