Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite and a Nook Simple Touch
The Oregon Files

I have been attempting to get copies of some of the earlier Oregon Files books from my local library without any success, their card catalog lists them as having the books, however when you go to the shelves they are not there. So my question is this is the Oregon Files series written in such a way as that one needs to have read the older novels in order to understand what is happening in the later novels? Do the characters make references to the earlier books and assume that the reader has read the older novels and understands what is going on? I would like to read what is available from the local library before I go get a copy of the older books.

Last edited by jbcohen; 04-08-2014 at 11:35 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
IcecreamLtDan
Zealot
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
The Oregon Files are like most of Clive Cussler's other book series. They don't build on each other as such, but occasionally there will be events or people from previous books mentioned or even encountered so it's not neccesary to read them in order, but it could cause some confusion. If you have an online library card, you could check and see if they have the ebooks available.

As an aside, I enjoy this series and his Isaac Bell series as well, the other ones, including the more recent Dirk Pitt novels, not so much.
IcecreamLtDan is online now   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Isaac Bell is very well written series, I have only read the first two in the series thus far, although I intend to read all of them.

I will most likely finish up the Oregon Files books then move on to finish off NUMA files, I have only one more left over there however I am tuned into the Oregon Files so I need to finish that one first. Isaac Bell will be third.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
kyrilson
Connoisseur
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350(2), Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW2, Kindle Fire HDX,iPad Air
I read the first NUMA novel a while back (Serpent). I enjoyed it enough to pick up the second one. I've been looking at the others in the library and was curious about them (Oregon File and Isaac Bell). Good to know that they're worthing checking out.
kyrilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard

I would look at the books as seperate rather than as a whole as kyrilson is. Dirk Pitt and the NUMA files are pretty much together in terms of subject matter and writting quality goes, I am not going to tell you how the Dirk Pitt books are related to the NUMA files, which would spoil the books. However I can tell you to read the Dirk Pitt books before going to read the NUMA files, the Pitt books will explain some things about the NUMA files that you need to know.

The other series are not related to the Pitt and NUMA files in any way.

Isaac Bell does not work for NUMA and takes place many years before the formation of NUMA. To tell you more will ruin the books.

The oregon files books do not related to NUMA so they need to be considered sperately,
Old 04-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
kyrilson
Connoisseur
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350(2), Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW2, Kindle Fire HDX,iPad Air
Ahh, so I should go back and read the Dirk Pitt books rather than continue with NUMA, and perhaps supplement with one of the others. Thanks for the advice, I will do this.
kyrilson is online now   Reply With Quote