Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
Interesting how many fall into some category of "horror" or have a creepy dark twist. I suppose the length and PD requirement pushes for that... the nothing-really-happens short story may be entertaining but is forgettable, while scary or intriguing lasts longer in our minds.

Science fiction in the public domain is a much smaller pool of stories, and a lot of them are either mysteries with a technological twist or "shocking revelations" that fail to be shocking to modern readers.

For myself, I'd pick out one or more (probably one, given the collection) stories by Saki; I'm fond of The Lull, The Story-Teller, and Sredni Vashtar.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Modulation by Richard Powers
Midnight in Dostoevsky by Don DeLillo
Can you explain how these works come to be in the public domain? Have they been put there by their respective authors?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
johnnyb
Addict
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you explain how these works come to be in the public domain? Have they been put there by their respective authors?
dammit i overread that in the fine print...
they are, unfortunately, not...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #34
Mikou
Connoisseur
Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Mikou could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad2, Sony PRS-650, iPod Touch
"Desiree's Baby" by Kate Chopin
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #35
SteveEisenberg
Wizard
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
dammit i overread that in the fine print...
they are, unfortunately, not...
I also missed it before writing post #2

The second story you mentioned is freely available from the web site of the magazine that first published it:

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/fea...printable=true

The above link doesn't make it legally public domain, but from my reader's POV, it has the same effect.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 03-15-2013 at 11:02 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
johnnyb
Addict
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I also missed it before writing post #2

The second story you mentioned is freely available from the web site of the magazine that first published it:

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/fea...printable=true

The above link doesn't make it legally public domain, but from my reader's POV, it has the same effect.

Yep, that's where I first read it too, greta read... it's also in DeLillo's short story collection "The Angel Esmeralda" and license violations are pretty sure to be pursued...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstjmack View Post
Can't help but notice how many of these are ghost/horror/SF/fantastic literature. Does this mean that imaginative and speculative literature has had a greater influence on the development of the short story than other genres?
The three or four that came to my mind are not public domain--but they are spec fiction genre.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #38
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (mine), Sony PRS-T1 (husband's)
Deleted - not in the Public Domain.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #39
Dazrin
Guru
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 3G, various Android devices
If the book club vote doesn't change hopefully you can get this put together by the time November comes around...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #40
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (mine), Sony PRS-T1 (husband's)
The Celestial Omnibus by E M Forster.

(Not public domain in Australia, but I think it is in some countries - not sure about where.)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote