Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
Steven630
Zealot
Steven630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
My wild guess: KPW3 coming soon

I'm a native Chinese living in Shanghai. In China, besides amazon.cn, the official Amazon China website, jd.com (formerly 360buy, an electronic commerce website) and Suning.com (another B2C platform operated by Suning, a large retailer of electronics appliances) also sell the electronic reader. Today, when I checked out the website of JD and Sunning, I found that neither had kindle in stock, which is very strange. And I read another thread by a Chinese netizen, who went to Suning's physical store to buy a kpw2, saying that a kindle seller there told him that kpw2 was out of stock and that the new version might come out at the end of this month. Details of kpw3 are not known yet, but the storage has been expanded to 4g again. On taobao.com, a website similar to eBay and Amazon, a few sellers talk of pre-ordering kpw3 and delivering the new device in two weeks. I contacted one and asked him why the official website keeps silent. He just replied "very soon".

Of course, this might just be another rumor. After all, there has been rumor that the device was to come by Q2, which has long passed. I bought kpw2 a month ago and may regret the decision if my guess turns out to be right. I just hope the release of kpw3 may let old kpw users customize fonts (probably through a new firmware update).

UPDATE: Rumors abound that the new device is just an enhanced version of the current KPW2, with no change other than the 4G storage.

Last edited by Steven630; 07-17-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Steven630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven630 View Post
After all, there has been rumor that the device was to come by Q2, which has long passed.
Q2 finished 16 days ago. I'm not sure that really qualifies as "long passed" .

Amazon generally announce new Kindles in September/October timeframe, so an announcement in the next couple of months wouldn't be entirely unexpected.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
Steven630
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Q2 finished 16 days ago. I'm not sure that really qualifies as "long passed" .

Amazon generally announce new Kindles in September/October timeframe, so an announcement in the next couple of months wouldn't be entirely unexpected.
Yes, I was thinking about June. Didn't realize that June 30th still counts as Q2. Not "long passed" then.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Steven630
Zealot

Just asked another seller at Taobao. He confirmed that kpw3 is available for pre-order, just that "the only difference is a larger storage of 4GB". That sounds unlikely. Yet Another seller, though, told me that "4GB is all that is known now".

Last edited by Steven630; 07-16-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Sony PRS 350
There's been a new or updated Kindle released around September/October for the past 3 or 4 years. So as HarryT says, an announcement in the next couple of months wouldn't exactly be a huge surprise. No wild guesses needed.

I'm betting a new Kobo Aura will also be announced later this year, so unless you are in the market for something different (bigger screen, more flexible, i.e. Onyx T68, Pocketbook), then now is not the time to buy a new ereader, unless you pick it up at a discounted price.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
I'm betting a new Kobo Aura will also be announced later this year, so unless you are in the market for something different (bigger screen, more flexible, i.e. Onyx T68, Pocketbook), then now is not the time to buy a new ereader, unless you pick it up at a discounted price.
Yup, I'm waiting for an 8" 1600x1200 reader (for now: Onyx i86 or Pocketbook InkPad 840). Both should land this month; the Pocketbook can already be pre-ordered, but I think I'll hold out for the Onyx. Full Android (like the T68) sounds attractive.

And who knows, maybe Kobo will join the fray with an 8" 'Aura HD+'; they were the first to use the 6.8" 1440x1080 screen after all.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I think I'll hold out for the Onyx. Full Android (like the T68) sounds attractive.
The T68 does work well, although the Kindle App isn't that great on it. It really wasn't designed with eInk screens in mind.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
U2Bono269
Enthusiast
U2Bono269 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, 2012 Nexus 7
I've been saying that I wanted to hold out for the PW3, but considering my Nook fried its battery (and the page-turn buttons are broken too...bad week for my ereader), I've purchased a Kobo. I would expect the PW3 to be the same as the PW2, though with the extra space. Frankly, Kobo's 4GB storage is what made me buy it over the PW2. There's not much else to improve, so extra space is a good step for them.
U2Bono269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
badbob001
Evangelist
badbob001 can extract oil from cheesebadbob001 can extract oil from cheesebadbob001 can extract oil from cheesebadbob001 can extract oil from cheesebadbob001 can extract oil from cheesebadbob001 can extract oil from cheesebadbob001 can extract oil from cheesebadbob001 can extract oil from cheesebadbob001 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 (US 3G)
If the next Kindle does come with a much higher resolution screen, then I would hope for far more storage than even 4GB. A high-res screen is good for PDFs and high-res images and that will need good hikes in ram, cpu, and storage.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
U2Bono269
Enthusiast
U2Bono269 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, 2012 Nexus 7
I'd be shocked if Amazon had more than 4GB storage or even expandable storage. I'd imagine people who need that kind of ereading muscle are getting an Aura HD. If Amazon opts for the higher rez, it would be just to say hey look, we have a higher resolution now and sell more units.
U2Bono269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Bono269 View Post
I'd be shocked if Amazon had more than 4GB storage or even expandable storage. I'd imagine people who need that kind of ereading muscle are getting an Aura HD.
Or an Onyx T68. Same screen as the Aura HD and an SD card slot, but can run Calibre Companion, which makes managing a large on-device library enormously easier.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
Waylander
Groupie
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT Black, Kindle Paperwhite 2012
It'll probably be announced in the next couple of months or so, but I'm not hopeful for any radical improvements. I'm afraid that the most important thing for me is having the margins closer the the edge of the screen, so when I get a new ereader it'll most likely be Kobo Aura or some such.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2
An hypothetical PW3, and the 4GB PW2 are completely different things. 4GB PW2 have already started silently replacing the 'original' PW2 models (mostly in Europe/Canada right now). [Except in Japan, of course, where they've had 4GB of storage space from the start].
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
rcentros
Addict
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST (2), Kindle 4 (Black), Kindle Touch 3G & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I'm afraid that the most important thing for me is having the margins closer the the edge of the screen,
Those wide margins are probably the worst thing about my Kindles -- very happy to find the non-rooting fix for the K3 and Kindle Basic. Makes reading with these much nicer Wish it was that easy with the Kindle Touch.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
Vroo
Connoisseur
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a couple of Kindles, Onyx A62s/C65AG, Nook ST, Kobo Mini
There is an interesting change in product pages of PW2 for international shipment (sent to Europe etc.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CTUKFNQ - this was the 2nd generation Paperwhite I bought in Oct 2013. But now it's unavailable and the message says "There's a newer version of this item: Kindle Paperwhite with Wi-Fi (2014)."

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG8GBDM/ - this is the "2014" model.

Both product pages are exactly the same - but someone told me that he ordered the "2014" model and it has 4GB of storage, exactly as NiLuJe wrote.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote