Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
Watercress
Watercress began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite,ipad mini
Paperwhite next generation & Collections

Hi, I've got the Paperwhite Next Gen and whenever I move a book into a Collection it stays on the home page as well. if I move it into another collection it shows in 3 places! My old Kindle (with a keyboard) had a facility to move into one collection and delete from another but the Paperwhite doesn't have this? Really annoying and the Cloud is no good for non-Amazon books. How can I sort my Collections more efficiently? At the moment my 200 odd books are showing everywhere!!! Please help!!
Watercress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercress View Post
Hi, I've got the Paperwhite Next Gen and whenever I move a book into a Collection it stays on the home page as well. if I move it into another collection it shows in 3 places! My old Kindle (with a keyboard) had a facility to move into one collection and delete from another but the Paperwhite doesn't have this? Really annoying and the Cloud is no good for non-Amazon books. How can I sort my Collections more efficiently? At the moment my 200 odd books are showing everywhere!!! Please help!!
You misunderstand the nature of collections. A collection is not a folder, and you don't "move" a book into a collection. A collection is simply a "tag" which is associated with a book, and you can put as many different tags on a book as you want. No matter how many collections you put a book into, it's still only present on your device once.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
shalym
Evangelist
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD
Watercress, make sure that you are sorting by collections, and not by title, author or recent.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm slightly curious why you say "the Cloud is no good for non-Amazon books.". You can email any book to Amazon (or use the "Send to Kindle" tool) and it will go into Cloud storage.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
Watercress

Thanks for replying! I want to organise my books into Author titled collections and then when I've read them - move them into a 'books I've read' collection. But can't do this on pw2 as the book remains at homepage and in all collections. So if I put a book into a Author collection, it's still in the homepage, and when I've read it and show it in my 'books I've read' collection the book is showing in 3 places. This definitely didn't happen in my original kindle. What can I do?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
Watercress

Hi Harry, I've downloaded most of my books via Calibre and every time I've put them into a collection I've got the message that they are not synced to the cloud - I assumed this is because they were non-Amazon books
Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle PW1,2, Kindle DXG, Sony 950, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
So if I put a book into a Author collection, it's still in the homepage, and when I've read it and show it in my 'books I've read' collection the book is showing in 3 places. This definitely didn't happen in my original kindle. What can I do?
You can sort by Collections. Then you won't see those books that are in collections on the Home Page.

If you sort by Author, or sort by Title, you will see each book on the home page, as well as in each collection it is tagged in.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:37 AM   #8
Watercress

Collections Pw2

Is there a way to delete a book from one collection but keep it tagged in another collection?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #9
Watercress

On my original kindle (wih a keyboard) you could move a book to one collection and then delete it from the original collection. Can't seem to do this with the Pw2? Thanks for your help
Old 07-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Tap and hold the book on the home screen until you get the pop-up menu, select "Add to Collection", and simply check and uncheck the names of the collections you want the book to be a member of.

How are you doing it?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:31 AM   #11
Watercress

That's fine for add to collection - but how do you delete from a collection? There is no option to do that!
Old 07-27-2014, 04:34 AM   #12
Watercress

Oh gawd - I have just worked it out - you just uncheck the item from the relevant collection! What an idiot I am! Thanks so much for clarifying it for me
Old 07-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
That's fine for add to collection - but how do you delete from a collection? There is no option to do that!
Have you actually tried it? Please read my post properly before telling me it's wrong. You CHECK the box alongside a collection name to ADD a book to a collection. You UNCHECK the box alongside a collection name to REMOVE a book from a collection.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
Watercress

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you actually tried it? Please read my post properly before telling me it's wrong. You CHECK the box alongside a collection name to ADD a book to a collection. You UNCHECK the box alongside a collection name to REMOVE a book from a collection.
So sorry - my next post (see above) didn't get to you before you wrote this! I apologise and I'm really grateful that you showed me what non-one else had done. So simple when you know how! Watercress departs with tail between legs...
Old 07-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Another way to manage your collection is to tap and hold the collection name. This gives you a UI to add and remove books from that specific collection. This is a better way to do it if you want to add (or remove) a lot of books to a specific collection.

Tags
duplicate books, paperwhite collections