Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-21-2015, 02:24 AM   #1
Roy Preston
Roy Preston began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Angry Cannot kill jobs that communicate with device

So I wanted to move some files from Calibre onto my Samsung Galaxy 3 phone. I opened Calibre, plugged my phone into the USB port and tried to send three files to the phone.

Job: Get device information. Finished.
Job: Set library information. Finished.
Job: Upload 0 books to device. Waiting.
Job: Get list of books on device. Found object: vocab_x42.jpg

Nothing is happening. I can't kill this job. "Can't kill jobs that communicate with device." I can't change my preferences while the job is running (not that I know if doing that would make any difference). I can't eject the device.

I can just unplug my phone. Or shut down Calibre. But EVERY TIME I plug the phone in, this same stupid job resumes...but never completes and never does anything. I've tried rebooting my phone, rebooting my computer, I even uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre.

What do I have to do make this **** job stop running?
Roy Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Whenever a device is connected, calibre does a scan looking for content on the device.

On most types of devices this is a quick process.

Unfortunately, the first connection of an an Android device is very slow as calibre scans the ENTIRE device. All you can do is wait and let that initial scan complete, and then (VERY IMPORANT) configure calibre to ensure it only scans the locations YOU WANT in future.

This is done by clicking on the arrow besides the Device icon in the calibre menu and selecting the Configure this device. Select the Chane scanned folders button and ensure that ONLY the folder(s) that you intend to place books in has been selected. Once this has been done, click OK.

Subsequent scans of your device by calibre will be a lot LOT quicker.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 02-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
DaltonST
Developer
DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.DaltonST shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Nexus 7
Unfortunately, there is a Catch-22 situation. Calibre does not allow you to set a device to "IGNORE" before it has ever been plugged in while Calibre is running. Further, you cannot configure the directories to search before it is plugged in the first time. If the job never finishes, you cannot do anything, ever.

The Device Job that Calibre automatically starts the first time a device is connected never finished for an old NookColor that I have that has 14,000+ epubs on the external SD Card in the Books folder. Because the job never finished before it errored out, Calibre never could offer it in the Preferences to IGNORE it. I could not even configure it to search a bogus, empty directory to keep it from ever searching the real Books folder.

What I wanted to do is to have Calibre ignore the NookColor, and then use "Save To Single Directory" to save just the .epub files from Calibre into the Books folder of the device.

What I ended up doing was to insert a blank SD card with just a fake directory, let the job finish, set the device to IGNORE in Calibre, then replaced the blank SD card with the real SD card that also as the same fake directory that never has anything in it.

Of course, if your SD card is internal, not external, the Catch-22 forces you to this workaround: You "Save to a Single Directory" on the PC, and then manually move the books from the special PC directory to the internal SD card on the device. You can never plug the device in to the PC while Calibre is running, of course.

Obviously, 14,000+ books on a device is bit extreme, but at the time the books were loaded onto the NookColor, it was practical and desirable, and well worth it given the geographical location and situation in which the device was being used to read.

Amazingly, FBReader for Android does not blink at the large number of books, although the Rescans of the books to update its metadata indexes do take a little while to run, but they are background tasks that do not interfere with reading.

Anyway, it would be nice to be able to "pre-ignore" a device. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
Anyway, it would be nice to be able to "pre-ignore" a device. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.
In my experience, every time I plug in a new MTP device calibre asks me if I want it to "manage" that device. You can say "no", effectively "pre-ignoring" it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can also ignore any device even if you told calibre you want to manage it, by simply unplugging it, starting calibre, then going to Preferences->Plugins and customize the MTP plugin, where there is a list of seen devices, which you can choose to ignore.

And note that calibre does not actually scan the entire device, there are a number of "common" folders it skips by default such as Android, Video, Audio, etc.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote