Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
New Yorker recipe

I have attached a new recipe for the New Yorker. It gets content from m.newyorker.com which doesn't use flash.

The exisiting recipe is useless because it doesn't retrieve any article content, so this recipe might as well replace it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip new_yorker.zip (3.1 KB, 55 views)
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite, Motorola Xoom
It is easy to bring wrath on somebody elses work. But put it in perspective. The current recipe for newyorker downloads's whatever is available for free on their website. Not everybody is subscribed to the magazine and are OK with reading the free stuff.

Are you saying that your recipe can download the stuff for subscribers? Because I'm not seeing that in the code.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
It is easy to bring wrath on somebody elses work. But put it in perspective. The current recipe for newyorker downloads's whatever is available for free on their website. Not everybody is subscribed to the magazine and are OK with reading the free stuff.

Are you saying that your recipe can download the stuff for subscribers? Because I'm not seeing that in the code.
The current recipe downloads nothing, as has been pointed out by other posters, because the RSS feed links to flash-based content. So my comment that the current recipe is "useless" is objectively correct.

As I pointed out, my recipe downloads whatever the New Yorker chooses to place on their mobile website. I did not claim that it downloads subscriber-only content.

Your comment in another thread that you don't do stuff "for free" motivated me to create this recipe. In my view the value of open source development like calibre recipes is that technically proficient people will contribute content for the benefit of people who are unable to develop the code themselves. If you want to be paid for your efforts, fair enough, but don't complain when someone jumps in and donates what you demand payment for.

Finally, your original recipe for the New Yorker is pretty trivial. Not really something to hold up and demand payment for.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite, Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
The current recipe downloads nothing, as has been pointed out by other posters, because the RSS feed links to flash-based content. So my comment that the current recipe is "useless" is objectively correct.
That is not true. Current recipe downloads some articles and others not.

Quote:
Your comment in another thread that you don't do stuff "for free" motivated me to create this recipe. In my view the value of open source development like calibre recipes is that technically proficient people will contribute content for the benefit of people who are unable to develop the code themselves. If you want to be paid for your efforts, fair enough, but don't complain when someone jumps in and donates what you demand payment for.
We all decide how we handle and value our time. So my critera there are mine alone. I am not complaining that you wrote a recipe. Please do. Do as many as you can. Rewrite all of them if you can do better.Community will be better off.

I am just complaining about attitude - "this recipe is shit so here is another one".

Quote:
Finally, your original recipe for the New Yorker is pretty trivial. Not really something to hold up and demand payment for.
I am not demanding anything. The reason most of my recipes are simple is just that. If I need to spend more than 30m to do some recipe for which I have no personal interest than I don't do it.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
I am just complaining about attitude - "this recipe is shit so here is another one."
I didn't say that. I just said the recipe is useless, which it is. Enough said, get over it.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
BobbyVan
Enthusiast
BobbyVan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Update / Author names

Really enjoying the New Yorker recipe now that most (all?) of the magazine content is included each week. But would it be possible to update the recipe so that the author's name is displayed in the articles? No author information is fetched in the latest recipe. Thanks!
BobbyVan is offline   Reply With Quote