Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #1
Kest
Kest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
KF8 and Personal tags

While trying to convert EPUB to AZW3 I noticed that with KindleGen it no longer displays covers on the home screen but it does with Calibre.
Personally I don't really want Calibre in my toolchain so I tried to do it the hard way.

Soon after that, I found that the thumbnails are saved on /mnt/us/system/thumbnails with the format thumbnail_<ASIN>_EBOK_portrait.jpg, and Calibre sideloads the thumbnail there with the appropriate ASIN number, so I tried that with the KindleGen books but without success (Searching the ASIN number with KindleUnpack on the compiled book).

It seems like the problem is that I'm getting the KindleGen books with the "personal" tag, and it somehow ignores the thumbnails (however I don't see that problem with mobi files).

I tried with the full KindleGen output, the kf8-only that I extracted, and also a repacked kf8->epub->kf8 but all of them had the personal tag and ignored the thumbnails.

Supposing that actually the "personal" tag is the problem, is there a way to edit the header or whatever it is on an uncompressed KindleGen output to modify that?
Kest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #2
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
What Kindle firmware version?
There have been some recent changes in that area by Amazon.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #3
Kest

JB 5.6.5
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #4
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If a book is a Personal Document, the Kindle will try to extract the cover from the ebook file. This depends on a cover being properly set.

If the book is not a PDOC (that is to say, it has a fake ASIN, or exth 113 field, embedded) then the Kindle attempts to download the cover from Amazon's servers.
Since it depends on Amazon's records and no such book may exist, calibre will generate its own thumbnail from the calibre cover metadata (not the ebook file) and sideload it. There are other tools that will do the same using the embedded cover.

Either way, the end goal of the Kindle is to generate that thumbnail.
The thumbnail for PDOCs is "thumbnail_<random_six_chars>.jpg" so you should probably just confirm that there is an embedded cover.

Apparently fw5.7.2 does away with the highly stupid "Personal" tag. But as far as I know, the above details haven't changed. (I don't own a PW, so I am dependent on hearing things posted here -- but I do try to keep track of other peoples' discoveries.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:47 AM   #5
Kest

Calibre is using the number in its "ASIN" metadata, but definitely is not a valid one (has way more than 10 characters). I don't know about that calibre cover metadata but I guess is a random string associated with both the book and the thumbnail's name (that I tried to emulate without success).

I just noticed that indeed the cover is being extracted from the personal azw3 and saved as "thumbnail_<random_six_chars>.jpg" (really random chars. They re-roll if I cut off then restore the same book from the documents folder), and another one with four random chars if I insert the mobi counterpart of the book.
The problem is that the azw3's cover is not showing (the mobi one showed perfectly from the beginning, even with the personal tag), so maybe really the problem is the personal thing.

Isn't there a tool to modify the properties or whatever it is, of an azw3 to get rid of that Personal Document property?
Old Today, 02:01 AM   #6
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
somewhere here, yes.
mentioned a couple of times very recently.

5.7.2 should also get rid of that irritation.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:13 AM   #7
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kest View Post
Calibre is using the number in its "ASIN" metadata, but definitely is not a valid one (has way more than 10 characters). I don't know about that calibre cover metadata but I guess is a random string associated with both the book and the thumbnail's name (that I tried to emulate without success).
Yes -- that is the problem in the first place. calibre uses UUIDs, since there is really no way to know what the ASIN should be (although if you manually add an amazon:XXXXXXXX identifier, the Quality Check plugin can embed that).

"Since it depends on Amazon's records and no such book may exist"
If the ASIN isn't valid, there is no cover to download.

Quote:
I just noticed that indeed the cover is being extracted from the personal azw3 and saved as "thumbnail_<random_six_chars>.jpg" (really random chars. They re-roll if I cut off then restore the same book from the documents folder), and another one with four random chars if I insert the mobi counterpart of the book.
The problem is that the azw3's cover is not showing (the mobi one showed perfectly from the beginning, even with the personal tag), so maybe really the problem is the personal thing.

Isn't there a tool to modify the properties or whatever it is, of an azw3 to get rid of that Personal Document property?
Yes, calibre can do it quite easily. The proper settings in MOBI Output, or alternatively the Quality Check plugin I mentioned above.

There is also Java Mobi Metadata Editor, which should be floating around somewhere here.

But I cannot think why the Kindle would be extracting the conver from a PDOC *.azw3 and then not using it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3 kf8 asin thumbnail