Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
larry9
larry9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles
Help finding file for PW2 3G/Wifi

Hi,
can anybody help please.
I've been working on some Paperwhite 3G/Wifi model EY21 European model
SN starting B01D.

They are ex-Demo which has been a problems to overcome as the usual way of dropping the Stock Update file into the /mnt/us/ directory doesn't work with the 3G model but does with the Wifi model (DP75SD1).

I managed to get a mmcblk0p1 image version 5.2.0 which claimed to be for the Paperwhite 2 3G/Wifi. This does work the unit boots and functions on both 3G and Wifi and the Settings are accessible allowing it to be deregistered and reset.
But the update file for the PW2 version 5.6.2.1 still generates Error 3.

What I'd l'd like ideally is to get a later version of the mmcblk0p1 image.
I don't need to jailbreak them just to have them in stock condition.

The method to remove the Demo firmware is quite easy.

Using the Debug serial port inside ,stop booting going to the uboot prompt
issue the command - bootm 0xe41000
When it boots into the Diagnostics select USB Mode and then connect your USB cable from your PC and open the Kindle from My Computer.

Now depending on the model

DP75SP1
Drag Update file into the Root folder
Eject the Kindle
Select exit ,then Reboot and Confirm (Sequence D, R, Q).
The Kindle then updates and reboots.

EY21
Drag the mmcblk0p1 image into the root folder
Eject the Kindle
Select Exit then Exit to Login Prompt
In the terminal (on PC) Login as Root. (Use KindleTool to generate the password using the serial number which can either be read from the terminal screen or from one of the options in Debug)

type dd if=/mnt/us/[filename] of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4k
Replace [filename] with the actual filename.
This takes a while.
Then type reboot
The Kindle boots-up in normal mode with settings etc accessible.

Can someone supply a later 5.6.x.x image or know where I could find one ?

The Amazon Tech I was chatting with said it couldn't be done but I don't like to give up too easy.

Cheers
larry9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Moved to the developers' forum.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 05-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As per the models chart: Kindle Serial Numbers -- you have a PW1. firmware v5.2.0 is PW1 firmware, which is why it worked.

You should be able to apply any PW1 software update without need to flash partition images at this point.
PW2 updates will not work. You could force the matter by flashing partition images, but I can't think why you'd want to deliberately brick your Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
larry9

Ok cheers explains everything.
I thought I'd tried that.
Which when I was asking Amazon about which file to use they'd told me I'd got the wrong one.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:57 AM   #5
larry9

I can confirm the Safe method works of dropping the update file into the Kindle whilst in USB Mode as per above.

The confusion came partically as the retailer labelled both PaperWhites as 2013 models and I didn't check the serial numbers off the list. Plus the tech at Amazon failed to spot my mistake.

Thanks again
Old 05-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sure thing.

(Confusing the two paperwhite models is a more common problem than you might think. Retailers tend toward the stupid, for one. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote