Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
ywq111
ywq111 began at the beginning.

Device: n905B
Can I translate kobo Reader Menu into Chinese ?

HI,
I have decompression kobo-update-3.3.1.zip and I can not find any po files for translate kobo Reader menu , Can any one help me ?
ywq111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywq111 View Post
HI,
I have decompression kobo-update-3.3.1.zip and I can not find any po files for translate kobo Reader menu , Can any one help me ?
Translating the menu is possible, but ...

1) For each supported language the text strings reside intermixed with other binary code in huge compressed blocks in the library file nickel. You would have to
  • locate and extract one of those blocks, maybe the one for Japanese is best, from nickel
  • decompress it
  • replace the Japanese entries with Chinese (you have to take care that no Chinese entry needs mores space (bytes) than the Japanese text does)
  • compress it (the resulting block has to be equal or smaller in size than the original block was)
  • overwrite the old block in nickel with the new one.
2) You would have to do this for each new firmware version

3) Patching nickel can lead to unexpected and uncontrollable side effects.

The compression is zlib, the blocks start with hex 789C.

(I will be away for a week or so. So do not wonder if I do not answer further questions immediately.)

Last edited by tshering; 09-12-2014 at 06:55 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote