Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of light
 
Posts: 53
Karma: 12048
Join Date: Jan 2014
Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch freezing while reading

I'm posting this here as I've been unable to get any advice from Kobo.help or the regular Mobilereads Kobo forum. Hopefully someone here may have a solution for this problem

My Kobo Touch (2 years old - N905B) has recently started to freeze while I read. After a few minutes, it responds to the string of instructions that I had given it while it was frozen and then functions properly until the next freeze. I believe this only started after my recent upgrade to firmware 3.8

I guess it can be better described as "slow processing", makes me feel that the problem has to do with memory buffering (but I'm no software expert).

I've tried:
logging out/in,
Pin hole reset,
Factory reset (several times)
Deleting all my books, except one new one, to see if the problem is being created by a corrupt file
Downloading a new book to see if the problem occurred there (it did)

To my surprise I found that increasing the size of my font stopped the problem for a few days - but then it started again

FYI my wife's Kobo Touch (same vintage and same books as mine) doesn't have this freezing problem, but I've read (on Mobilereads Kobo forum) that some other readers are having this problem.

Does this sound like a problem with the SD card? I would appreciate any ideas as this is getting very frustrating.

Thank you
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of light
 
Posts: 53
Karma: 12048
Join Date: Jan 2014
Device: Kobo Touch
A lot of viewers, but no replies yet. C'mon guys, you can do better.

Last edited by Joeldmtl; 10-05-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of light
 
Posts: 53
Karma: 12048
Join Date: Jan 2014
Device: Kobo Touch
Is there some type of error log that can be down loaded from the Kobo Touch?
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of light
 
Posts: 53
Karma: 12048
Join Date: Jan 2014
Device: Kobo Touch
Well I waited for the FW 3.11 update to see if that would stop the freezing - it didn't. So then I tried an older FW (3.3.1) and that didn't fix the problem either.

I was thinking of replacing the SD card. Do you think that can have any bearing on my Kobo Touch freezing while i read?
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,891
Karma: 5704423
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It could be the problem. If the firmware is reading or writing something when it turns the page, it could be affected by a failing SD card. Does anything thing else seem to cause he freeze or take a long time? Opening or closing a book are the obvious possibilities. A dictionary lookup or saving a highlight are others.

One of the things you should do is test the factory firmware. To do that, you do a factory reset and use the Kobo desktop application to do the setup. That will download the latest firmware, but before ejecting the device, remove the new firmware files from it. Then it will boot to the factory firmware and you can test. If it still has problems, you can be fairly sure it is a hardware issue. If everything is OK, you can manually step through the firmware until you get to one that has the features you like and still works. The only problem with this is you will be prompted to update each time you do a sync.

Changing the card won't hurt if you are happy to open the device and restore an image to the card. You can also put a bigger card in if you want more storage.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of light
 
Posts: 53
Karma: 12048
Join Date: Jan 2014
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It could be the problem. If the firmware is reading or writing something when it turns the page, it could be affected by a failing SD card. Does anything thing else seem to cause he freeze or take a long time? Opening or closing a book are the obvious possibilities. A dictionary lookup or saving a highlight are others.

One of the things you should do is test the factory firmware. To do that, you do a factory reset and use the Kobo desktop application to do the setup. That will download the latest firmware, but before ejecting the device, remove the new firmware files from it. Then it will boot to the factory firmware and you can test. If it still has problems, you can be fairly sure it is a hardware issue. If everything is OK, you can manually step through the firmware until you get to one that has the features you like and still works. The only problem with this is you will be prompted to update each time you do a sync.

Changing the card won't hurt if you are happy to open the device and restore an image to the card. You can also put a bigger card in if you want more storage.
I don't seem to notice any specific action that causes the freezing. Sometimes it repeats in 2- 3 pages and other times it happens after 20 pages. The only consistency I've noticed is that after it unfreezes it carries out all the instructions I've given it while frozen.

Re your suggestion to test factory firmware, can you please clarify what you mean when you say " .... before ejecting the device, remove the new firmware files from it. Then it will boot to the factory firmware and you can test. " Do you mean the Koboroot.tgz and Manifest.md5sum files?

Finally, if I elect to change the micro SD card, is there anything specific about the card that I should know - i.e. class, are ther different micro SD cards, etc.?

My last option would be to buy a refurbished Glo or wait until the Xmas sales start and buy a new Glo. My hesitation with that is that I was hoping that my Touch would last until Kobo released something with the sharpness and whiteness of the PW2 in a Touch/Glo/Aura size. Are the refurbished Glos blemish free?
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,891
Karma: 5704423
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
I don't seem to notice any specific action that causes the freezing. Sometimes it repeats in 2- 3 pages and other times it happens after 20 pages. The only consistency I've noticed is that after it unfreezes it carries out all the instructions I've given it while frozen.

Re your suggestion to test factory firmware, can you please clarify what you mean when you say " .... before ejecting the device, remove the new firmware files from it. Then it will boot to the factory firmware and you can test. " Do you mean the Koboroot.tgz and Manifest.md5sum files?
Yes, those files plus the "updates" directory if it exists.
Quote:
Finally, if I elect to change the micro SD card, is there anything specific about the card that I should know - i.e. class, are ther different micro SD cards, etc.?
There is some discussion on the class to use around here. I can't say I've paid enough attention to it to be able to say if there was a decision as to what was best. But, it needs to be at least 2GB. You can use larger and expand the partition for the books to use it.
Quote:
My last option would be to buy a refurbished Glo or wait until the Xmas sales start and buy a new Glo. My hesitation with that is that I was hoping that my Touch would last until Kobo released something with the sharpness and whiteness of the PW2 in a Touch/Glo/Aura size. Are the refurbished Glos blemish free?
I don't know, as I haven't seen one. I would hope they didn't have any bright spots, but, I don't know about the other things people complain about.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #8
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of light
 
Posts: 53
Karma: 12048
Join Date: Jan 2014
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

One of the things you should do is test the factory firmware. To do that, you do a factory reset and use the Kobo desktop application to do the setup. That will download the latest firmware, but before ejecting the device, remove the new firmware files from it. Then it will boot to the factory firmware and you can test. If it still has problems, you can be fairly sure it is a hardware issue. If everything is OK, you can manually step through the firmware until you get to one that has the features you like and still works. The only problem with this is you will be prompted to update each time you do a sync.
Very interesting!! I restored my Touch to the factory firmware and the freezing stopped.

Funny thing is that the book that I am now reading seems to be corrupted, so I had to do the test on the previous book I was reading, which had also had the freezing problem. (Both books bought from Kobo).

My current book only shows the title of the book at the top of the page and "Chapter 1 -pg 1 of 1" at the bottom, with no text in between. When changing to the next page the bottom changes to "Chapter 2- pg 1 of 1" with no text - and thus continues to "Chapter 3-pg 1 of 1" ..... Any ideas what's going on with my current book?

Secondly, you recommended that I manually step through the FW until I find one that works and has the features that I like. Would you happen to know what FW followed the Factory FW for a Kobo Touch 905B?

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Last edited by Joeldmtl; 11-02-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,891
Karma: 5704423
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
Very interesting!! I restored my Touch to the factory firmware and the freezing stopped.

Funny thing is that the book that I am now reading seems to be corrupted, so I had to do the test on the previous book I was reading, which had also had the freezing problem. (Both books bought from Kobo).

My current book only shows the title of the book at the top of the page and "Chapter 1 -pg 1 of 1" at the bottom, with no text in between. When changing to the next page the bottom changes to "Chapter 2- pg 1 of 1" with no text - and thus continues to "Chapter 3-pg 1 of 1" ..... Any ideas what's going on with my current book?
That is usually a font related issue.Thought there was a particular firmware version that it happened with a lot. I don't remember exactly which version it was, but I think it was later than what you would have as the factory firmware.
Quote:
Secondly, you recommended that I manually step through the FW until I find one that works and has the features that I like. Would you happen to know what FW followed the Factory FW for a Kobo Touch 905B?
What is the factory firmware? 1.9.12 or 1.9.16? Or did it come with 2.0.0? My N905 Touch goes back to either 1.9.11 or 1.9.12. In any case, have look at the first two posts of the firmware downloads thread. It lists all the firmware versions that have been released with what devices they went to. Find where it fits in and start from there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of light
 
Posts: 53
Karma: 12048
Join Date: Jan 2014
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is usually a font related issue.Thought there was a particular firmware version that it happened with a lot. I don't remember exactly which version it was, but I think it was later than what you would have as the factory firmware.
My initial FW is FW 1.9.13. I tried all the fonts available but the pages are still blank in that one book. Was there an update to the epub format, that this book may possibly use, that may not work with this Kobo FW?

Secondly, given that the original FW is probably much smaller than the newer versions, could the fact that my Touch works with an earlier FW still mean that the micro SD is having problems?

Thanks again for you help!
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:36 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,891
Karma: 5704423
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
My initial FW is FW 1.9.13. I tried all the fonts available but the pages are still blank in that one book. Was there an update to the epub format, that this book may possibly use, that may not work with this Kobo FW?
The problem I was thinking of happened with kepubs that used embedded fonts. For these, opening the book would show a blank page with the header and footer. Opening and closing the menu would trigger a screen refresh and the text would display. But, it was happened a lot more recently than 1.9.13.

The epub format hasn't changed, unless this is an epub3. The way Kobo builds kepubs has, but they have been good about backwards compatibility.
Quote:
Secondly, given that the original FW is probably much smaller than the newer versions, could the fact that my Touch works with an earlier FW still mean that the micro SD is having problems?
Do you mean it might have been using a part of the card that was failing but now it isn't? If so, maybe. I wouldn't have expected it, but, if you have a spare card lying around and are willing to open the device, it is worth the try. You can use a larger card with no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of lightJoeldmtl is a glorious beacon of light
 
Posts: 53
Karma: 12048
Join Date: Jan 2014
Device: Kobo Touch
Davidfor,

I don't know if it's because my Touch worked with the factory FW (proving the hardware was OK); or because of my being persistent with Kobo Customer Care; or because i buy all my books from them - but whatever reason, the issue was escalated and now Kobo is sending me a replacement Glo in exchange for my 2 year old Touch.

Nice of them.

Thanks for your help!

Joel

Last edited by Joeldmtl; 11-06-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glo How to import reading Life Statistics from Kobo Touch to Kobo Glo? the_m Kobo Reader 5 12-13-2012 04:40 PM
Kobo Touch- reading offline Clarissa Kobo Reader 3 10-27-2012 07:34 PM
Touch KOBO Touch reading advice welcome polli Kobo Reader 27 11-19-2011 04:39 PM
Touch Reading RTF files on Kobo Touch El Nino Brian Kobo Reader 1 10-06-2011 09:16 AM
Reading PDFs on the new Kobo WiFi Touch peg77 Kobo Reader 2 08-06-2011 09:06 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.