Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
wallacemckart
Enthusiast
wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.wallacemckart can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Need Help/Guide for debricking PW via Serial Port.

Hi. I bricked my PW somehow. The last option is trying to use serial port. But my knowladge about it is very low. Any help will be appraciated.

For example: which pin is TxD RxD GND?
wallacemckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
First: This should probably be moved to the developer's corner.

The question is answered in a topic in that board here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...40&postcount=4

Be sure to have a 1.8volts UART adapter to connect it to. Anything higher puts your device in danger of being fried completely. So: no classic PC serial port (without level converter), no 5v, no 3.3v. Yes, 1.8v adapters are still rare.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
PolarFox
PolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmos

Device: PW
I have managed to obtain an usb to ttl module, which can support 1.8V but cannot provide it from usb power, but has VCCIO, so I could theoretically use Paperwhite 1.8VCC with my serial module.

Unfortunately on the Paperwhite image only TX RX and Ground can be seen. Is there anyone who knows where can I get VCC from paperwhite board?
PolarFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarFox View Post
I have managed to obtain an usb to ttl module, which can support 1.8V but cannot provide it from usb power, but has VCCIO, so I could theoretically use Paperwhite 1.8VCC with my serial module.

Unfortunately on the Paperwhite image only TX RX and Ground can be seen. Is there anyone who knows where can I get VCC from paperwhite board?
No - you will have to power that type of module from an external source.

The recommended usb-ttl adapters do not have this problem, as they contain an interface power regulator.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I will be trying out the TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE
Supports +1.8V TTL level UART signals and +1.8V / 100mA rated power output.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cab...BTTLSerial.htm

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Docu...2RG_CABLES.pdf

Once I have 100% confirmed the support / levels and correct wiring configuration I will write it up in full, with pictures, and links. Save future readers the pain of buying incorrectly specified products.

Cheers.

Quote:
The TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE

vreg == voltage regulated,
1V8 == 1.8 volts,
WE == wire ends

use Tx, Rx, Gnd only
cut others back out of way.

Last edited by twobob; 04-03-2013 at 01:09 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
PolarFox
PolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmosPolarFox has become one with the cosmos

The discussed serial cable is way too expensive in my country, so I would want to experiment with mine.

If I use external power, I suppose I should give VCCIO the +1.8V, and to the ground should I connect the kindle Ground or external power -1.8V?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarFox View Post
The discussed serial cable is way too expensive in my country, so I would want to experiment with mine.

If I use external power, I suppose I should give VCCIO the +1.8V, and to the ground should I connect the kindle Ground or external power -1.8V?
All of the above -
the ground side should be common to all the components - Kindle, adapter, interface power.

It would help a lot if you posted a link to this adapter's data sheet that you are using, or at least a link to the adapter's web page so that we can find the data sheet.

PS: Why go to all this trouble? Just report it "broke" to Amazon - get it exchanged.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
PolarFox

I am trying to use this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-TTL-C...item2327a7ac1b

Well I have already reported, and got my replacement, but it would cost me a fortune to send them back my broken one (actually getting the new one cost half a new kindles price :S) that they let me keep the "broken".

It is that I just want to experiment with it, maybe I can bring it back to life. It is on the YKNR page.

Last edited by PolarFox; 04-03-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 AM   #9
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think I'd just use the next power source that comes across with a low voltage, or even two AA batteries - and then use a few diodes to lower the voltage (forward drop) to about 1.8 volts. I guess you'll be set with two 1.5 volt batteries and two si/ge diodes to clamp that down. Use a volt meter to check.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote