Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, Jetbook Mini, Jetbook Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro
Kindle PW, txt file problem

So far I've only had one txt file, and it didn't read the file correctly.
the first 17-22% of the book (depending on the zoom size), went perfect. After that it won't turn the pages.
I tried skipping a page, without success.
I also tried searching for words that might appear on the next page, but the search feat froze.

I tried looking into the source code of the book with an HTML editor (turns out it's just text), and aside from letters, numbers, spaces and punctuation, there's just some enters and some tabs.
Every title of a chapter had 5 spaces before it, so I replaced all 5 spaces with one tab, and the PW read the book like 1/2 page further, and get stuck again.

I don't know what the issue is. Perhaps some kind of special space, that messes up the kindle?
Perhaps an out of memory? (the file is an 11kB text file, so not so very long).

anyone tried reading text files on their PW before?

The text I was reading was directly copied from a webpage, with hyperlinks removed; and saved in a text format.
There shouldn't have been any codes that could cause the pw to freeze.

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-04-2013 at 02:09 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Sounds like a hidden character problem maybe. You can try Notepad++ it shows those type of problems.

You could run it through Calibre to fix it though if you just need a quick fix.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I have a couple plain text files on mine that I cobbled together myself, and haven't run into into anything like that.

Check it with another editor to see if there's some bad formatting.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10
That should not have happened. Maybe the file itself on the Kindle is corrupt? You can rename any file to .txt and the PW will open it and display it. Just tried with a 450kb binary file. Nothing offending for the PW in there.

Do you mind posting your file here?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, Jetbook Mini, Jetbook Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro
I've checked with Notepad++; nothing unusual to see.
If I need to dig any deeper, I'll need to open the file with a binary editor.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote