Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
amd866
amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle oasis/pw
The Worst Customer Service

This is literally the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life.

I placed an order for the Kobo Aura One but the next hour I cancelled the order. Keep in mind this item wasn't even in stock, it was on backorder until late September.

I requested a cancellation an hour after the order was placed.

The item never shipped or was even prepared for shipping.

They charged me a 1.97 charge for cancellation fee even though it says directly on their website that if cancellation is requested within 24 hours there would be no fee.

I contact them about this and they literally do not understand the question (the customer service reps do not comprehend english I shit you not), I call in because the live chat is a joke I'm on hold for 15 minutes and the customer service rep says he will escalate it to someone else and get back to me and their response takes 3 days and when they do respond it's for further information such as a credit card statement for a 1.97 charge and they don't even say where they want the credit card statement.

At this point I don't even want to send in the credit card statement since god knows what kind of scam Kobo might try to pull from any private information I give them.

[Paragraph deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-21-2016 at 05:30 PM.
amd866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
MGlitch
Fanatic
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Nook Glowlight
Are you sure they actually charged you? I know when I ordered my Aura One my bank flagged the charge because it was a low amount at first. I preordered so I suspect Kobo charged a low amount to verify the card but then canceled the charge itself.

That's a fairly common practice with credit verification. Check your statement online and ensure the charge actually went through and was charged to you.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 09-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
JoOrwick
Connoisseur
JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.JoOrwick has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015)
I'm glad Kobo doesn't deliver to my country. Even if they did, I would never order anything from them. Their customer support is atrocious compared to Amazon which is also their biggest competitor.

I bought my KA1 from a Dutch store almost 2 weeks ago and everything went smoothly.
JoOrwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
amd866
amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.amd866 is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle oasis/pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Are you sure they actually charged you? I know when I ordered my Aura One my bank flagged the charge because it was a low amount at first. I preordered so I suspect Kobo charged a low amount to verify the card but then canceled the charge itself.

That's a fairly common practice with credit verification. Check your statement online and ensure the charge actually went through and was charged to you.
Yes I was actually charged.

I am aware of the difference between an authorization charge and a cancellation charge and this is clearly a cancellation charge since it's done immediately after my order was cancelled and not when the order was placed.

Also I just spoke with the supervisor and they are asking for a credit card statement. The hassle has cost me probably over an hour for a 1.97 charge, I could have gone out during this hour and picked up coins off the ground and probably made this money back. Kobo is a disgrace to the concept of customer service and I really hope to god this company is bankrupt within my lifetime.

Last edited by amd866; 09-20-2016 at 08:07 PM.
amd866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If they charged you the amount, they already have all your information. There's nothing more they could get from your statement that they don't already have on file. I don't think there's any more risk in providing them a copy of the statement showing the charge.

But they could just as easily find the charge in their system as well without you having to send them a statement. Unless of course they truly are that incompetent. I've never risked ordering direct from Kobo and never will.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Their ereaders are very good. They do pretty well everything else very poorly.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
barryem
Guru
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
I had a customer service issue when trying to order my first gen Kobo Aura from them two or 3 years ago. It wouldn't take my credit card for some reason. I did use that card to buy a book from them on an existing Kobo the same day so it was simply a problem on their website.

Getting in touch with them took me about 2 or 3 weeks of trying every day. I just wasn't able to get through. Finally I found a way to make an appointment with them for a return call. They did call back 2 days later and from that point on the guy was extremely helpful. He found an imaginative way to fix my problem and that was that.

I was pretty irritated at how hard they were to get hold of but I was really pleased with the quality of the service once I did. I have no idea if they still use anything like the same system, of course.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #8
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd866 View Post
Yes I was actually charged.

I am aware of the difference between an authorization charge and a cancellation charge and this is clearly a cancellation charge since it's done immediately after my order was cancelled and not when the order was placed.

Also I just spoke with the supervisor and they are asking for a credit card statement. The hassle has cost me probably over an hour for a 1.97 charge, I could have gone out during this hour and picked up coins off the ground and probably made this money back. Kobo is a disgrace to the concept of customer service and I really hope to god this company is bankrupt within my lifetime.
Perhaps dispute the charge with you cc company, that might work.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #9
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Whenever I need to contact Kobo, I always do so through their FB page Private message. They have always been very quick to respond and don't ever give me a hassle. I messaged them pics of my imperfect screen, I confirmed my order number and mailing address and within a couple days a new device was mailed out to me with a return envelope to send my old one back. I don't bother contacting them through other methods (i.e. Customer Service Chat on the website or phone) as FB messages have always been quick and painless. I also think the people who manage the FB messages are from Toronto and there has never been any language barrier with them.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
Whenever I need to contact Kobo, I always do so through their FB page Private message. They have always been very quick to respond and don't ever give me a hassle. I messaged them pics of my imperfect screen, I confirmed my order number and mailing address and within a couple days a new device was mailed out to me with a return envelope to send my old one back. I don't bother contacting them through other methods (i.e. Customer Service Chat on the website or phone) as FB messages have always been quick and painless. I also think the people who manage the FB messages are from Toronto and there has never been any language barrier with them.
Good to know. I've never had any trouble with Kobo either, though patience is always warranted.

I usually fill out the online form, and then they give me an incidence number and a phone number to call them. I have also used the chat.

Part of the problem, as we discussed on other threads, is that they KoboBooks CS is who we are contacting, but it is Rakuten Kobo is who sells the devices, and they don't seem to have connected computer systems. Because of this, there is lag time in waiting for responses. Again, have patience.

For example, I reported a problem with my device. I was initially fed through the process rather quickly. Fill out the Form, phone call, uploading pictures was day one (and three separate interactions within 4-6 hours).

Day 2 they asked me for my address and send me a transcript of my phone conversation. I was told that I was moving on in the process. That was Saturday, and nothing since. I'm not sure if this means they are going to send me a device once one is available (since they are showing sold out now) or if they will come back and reject my claim. But, I will continue to use and enjoy my reader until then.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #11
NightGoat
Connoisseur
NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Voyage & DXG... someday, a Kobo Aura One
I do a fair bit of online shopping. I have had some off-putting experiences now and again. However, even those experiences were made right by the company I'm dealing with, and in a timely manner.

This is my first time dealing with Kobo, and I have to say, I have never experienced anything like it before. My impressions so far: they act like a teenager who borrowed the car, put a big scratch down the side, don't mention anything hoping you won't notice.

If it's going to take awhile, at least let me know it is going to take awhile.
Don't go incommunicado on me hoping I won't notice that it's taking awhile.

The lack of care and communication are a huge deal for me.
I (as others) received the shipping and tracking email five days after I received my device. Which I had to go to FedEx to retrieve because I didn't know it was coming so that I could be home to sign for it. Ludicrous!

Now I'm waiting since last Friday for the RMA dept.to do something about my blotchy screen. And here I sit six days later... nothing, nada, zip.
NightGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
graycyn
Guru
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2, Kobo Aura HD, Pixel C
I have to admit, as much as I'm looking forward to eventually ordering a KA1, part of me dreads it in case I receive a problem device.

My first Kobo Aura HD had perfect screen, but frequently did extra page turns, often 3-4 pages at a time, which was too unpleasant to live with. And the glow light flickered, also a defect I couldn't take!

The next one had multiple pinholes in the light diffusion layer. Back it went. They made me take pictures of it first though, which wasn't easy and really shouldn't be necessary for a return of a defective device. Not everyone has a good digital camera!

The third one arrived and was not the color I had ordered! It was the brown and I'd ordered white! But it had a good screen and functioned well and I decided I could live with the color. I've actually enjoyed the color as I got used to it, so it worked out well in the end!

But it was not a pleasant experience to deal with customer service! They kept insisting that a factory reset would take care of the pinholes for example! However, I got through it, though it was about 3 months before I finally had a good reader in my hands! And the reader I received is still going strong 3 years later. Patience is most definitely required!

I'm waiting a bit before ordering, hoping maybe some of the bugs will be worked out first.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
the.Mtn.Man
Evangelist
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've only dealt with Kobo's customer service twice. The first time I was checking on the status of an order which seemed to take longer to ship than promised, and they were helpful and polite. I called, and the gal said she would look into it and get back to me. She called the next day, apologized for the delay, and told me that shipping information would be emailed to me within the next day or two.

The second time there was a confusingly worded promo on their site which suggested that I could get some books for free when, in fact, Kobo charged me full price. I called, explained the problem, and they happily refunded my money.

Customer service is like anything else in business... not every employee is good at their job, and the luck of the draw is not always in your favor.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #14
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I've only dealt with Kobo's customer service twice. The first time I was checking on the status of an order which seemed to take longer to ship than promised, and they were helpful and polite. I called, and the gal said she would look into it and get back to me. She called the next day, apologized for the delay, and told me that shipping information would be emailed to me within the next day or two.

The second time there was a confusingly worded promo on their site which suggested that I could get some books for free when, in fact, Kobo charged me full price. I called, explained the problem, and they happily refunded my money.

Customer service is like anything else in business... not every employee is good at their job, and the luck of the draw is not always in your favor.

True dat... but you know what if we don't say something it just eats at your soul.......

Interesting nick btw.... your not a radio show host are ya?

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Did anyone stop to think how many calls, emails, chat they are getting right now?
I would bet CS is overwhelmed.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote