Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
BadDeath
BadDeath began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Unhappy H2O bricked?

Hey there!

I just tried to update my Auro H2O via Wifi to the new 3.12 software version. It showed the update screen with its animation and everything looked normal. So the Kobo rebooted and showed something "random".
I tried to restart it after a few minutes (just to ensure that I don't interrupt the update process) and now I guess, it's bricked!

If I press the power button, the light near the button turns on, the screen flashes one/two times white-dark-white, but withtout any screen content. The same with the reset hole.

Any ideas how to rescue him, without opening or use of warranty?

Thank you very much!
BadDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The first thing to do when this sort of thing happens is to charge it. Even if it was full when you started, it is likely that the battery has been drained a lot. Charge if for a couple of hours and try again.

After that, you can try a factory reset. For a H2O, this is done by:

- Start with a charged battery
- Hold the power button down for at least 20 seconds. This is to ensure the device is completely off.
- Turn it on and quickly tap both bottom corners of the screen at the same time. Tap a few times until something happens.

If that doesn't work, try again but extend the times a bit.

If that doesn't work, then talk to Kobo and claim the warranty.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
BadDeath
BadDeath began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Ok, I tried this now for serveral times - with alternating tapping and simultaneous - with and without power cord. No reaction...

Any other ideas? Maybe to copy an old image on external SD card in hope the device will use this as an "update"? I'm a bit desperate, now

but thank you for your help
BadDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:01 AM   #4
Cesco
Enthusiast
Cesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo AuraHd/H2O-Glo-Sony prs 350
Look here, maybe can help you:

http://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/artic...r-kobo-ereader
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, h2o, update failed