Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What should our July category be?
Science Fiction 9 33.33%
Fantasy 7 25.93%
Sci-Fi/Fantasy 9 33.33%
Biography/Memoir 9 33.33%
Historical Fiction 10 37.04%
MobileRead Authors 5 18.52%
Non-Fiction 13 48.15%
History 6 22.22%
Young Adult 9 33.33%
Free For All 5 18.52%
Lottery (Winner chooses a selection of books from which we choose via a poll.) 5 18.52%
Novels of Robert Heinlein 2 7.41%
Humor 7 25.93%
Classical Literature (Published at least 25 years ago.) 7 25.93%
Modern Literature (Published within the last 10 years.) 5 18.52%
Classics 6 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #31
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think I had auto-inserted "first" in the description for Modern Literature. Incorrectly, it seems.

So even a classic could be chosen for Modern Literature if there happens to be a publication of that classic in the last 10 years? And I'm guessing that would be most of them wouldn't it?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #32
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I think I had auto-inserted "first" in the description for Modern Literature. Incorrectly, it seems.

So even a classic could be chosen for Modern Literature if there happens to be a publication of that classic in the last 10 years? And I'm guessing that would be most of them wouldn't it?
Well, I like to think that most of us use our common sense in these matters...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Since Modern Literature is going to lose, next time I'll modify the definition to Originally published within the last 10 years.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 AM   #34
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since Modern Literature is going to lose, next time I'll modify the definition to Originally published within the last 10 years.
Possibly a good idea to be on the safe side. I'd hate to see you victim to someone who was overly pedantic about these things. However, I understood your intent and wouldn't have nominated something inappropriate.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So we've gone from written, to published, to originally published?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Possibly a good idea to be on the safe side. I'd hate to see you victim to someone who was overly pedantic about these things. However, I understood your intent and wouldn't have nominated something inappropriate.
Actually, now that I think of it...

These books like the annotated Lolita wouldn't count. While it is published within the time frame, it's actually republished.

So there's no need to change the wording.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And now it's time for August's category arguments er, nominations.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #38
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

A month for non-fiction. Nice
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
A month for non-fiction. Nice
Should have been a fall month.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #40
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Congratulations non-fiction. I'd never pick you myself, but I'm content that those who like reading non-fiction are going to get a chance to read and discuss together.

Meanwhile I get a break.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I feel good.
Da da da da da dah.
I knew that I would.
Da da da da da dah.
I feel good.
Da da da da da dah.
I knew that I would.
Da da da da da dah.
So good.
Boom boom.
So good.
Boom.
We got non-fiction.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #42
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I know it's still quite a time away but I have the question if Non-Fiction does include or exclude Biography/Memoirs and History? We had these two categories separately here for voting but normally their books could fit into Non-Fiction.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #43
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Non-fiction is the wider category, so I would think subcategories like history or biographies would be included.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #44
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
If its Non-Fiction then it fits.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
If its Non-Fiction then it fits.
That was my understanding when I nominated it. Now if certain sub-categories such as history, biographies, or what-have-you win for other months, it might be beneficial in the name of variety to avoid nominating books on history, biography, or what-have-you during the general Non-Fiction month, but it would by no means be required.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote