Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,773
Karma: 12516053
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Nexus 7
Calibre Companion Quick Fix

I was just about to report a problem when I noticed you had just updated the change log minutes ago with a fix to the problem I was going to report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
CHANGE LOG

Version 2.7.1 (27/Jan/2013)BUG FIXES:
  • Fix regression in sorting books while grouping
Just my opinion, but I think there is room for an Extra Large setting on the cover icon and book description.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-27-2013 at 05:30 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,000
Karma: 802238
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Just my opinion, but I think there is room for an Extra Large setting on the cover icon and book description.
Are you referring to the thumbnail or the cover in book details? If it is the thumbnail, then how much bigger?

While developing this stuff I tested thumbnails on my N7 that were twice as big as the originals (Normal). I thought that they were ridiculously large, so I backed them down to 1.3 and 1.7 times "normal". I added the "Small" (.7 times) because I wanted to see more books on the screen. Perhaps I am too text-oriented, but I felt that the huge thumbs weren't usable.

If you are talking about covers on book details, then we can indeed make them larger. The downside is that larger covers take up more space on the device and increase download time. That said, I suppose that it is up to the user to make that choice.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,773
Karma: 12516053
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you referring to the thumbnail or the cover in book details? If it is the thumbnail, then how much bigger?
Both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
While developing this stuff I tested thumbnails on my N7 that were twice as big as the originals (Normal). I thought that they were ridiculously large, so I backed them down to 1.3 and 1.7 times "normal". I added the "Small" (.7 times) because I wanted to see more books on the screen. Perhaps I am too text-oriented, but I felt that the huge thumbs weren't usable.
I too have a N7 and I don't know how much bigger. On the large setting 5 books fit in the screen, maybe a size where 4 books (with a small top and bottom margin) fit nicely in the screen. After given the option I may find out, like you, that it is too big, but it is nice to have the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you are talking about covers on book details, then we can indeed make them larger. The downside is that larger covers take up more space on the device and increase download time. That said, I suppose that it is up to the user to make that choice.
The download time is a one time hit per book, correct? Where are the covers stored? I'd like to see how much space is actually dedicated to them.

At some point down the road the ability to change background and font colors would be great.

Super job with this app, Thanks!!

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,000
Karma: 802238
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The download time is a one time hit per book, correct? Where are the covers stored? I'd like to see how much space is actually dedicated to them.
Calibre sends book covers along with the rest of the metadata. CC stores the covers in its DB along with all the other data. Because of this, the covers get pushed around whenever metadata is pushed around.

There isn't any easy way for an end user to find out the size of the metadata object for a given book. The last time I looked, and with my production library and large covers, metadata for books averaged around 35Kbytes. YMMV with the size of covers, the number of custom columns, and the length of the comments. You can find out how much storage CC is using by going to android settings, Apps, Calibre Companion and looking at the "Data" line. That number is the size of CC's database plus a little bit of overhead. It does not include the books themselves.

Quote:
At some point down the road the ability to change background and font colors would be great.

Super job with this app, Thanks!!
On the list.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,773
Karma: 12516053
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Calibre sends book covers along with the rest of the metadata. CC stores the covers in its DB along with all the other data. Because of this, the covers get pushed around whenever metadata is pushed around.
If the cover doesn't change it doesn't get pushed out to the device on every connect, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You can find out how much storage CC is using by going to android settings, Apps, Calibre Companion and looking at the "Data" line.
Thanks, 2100 books with large covers is just under 60megs. Not exactly overwhelming. I think I can live with that cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
On the list.
I suspected it was.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-28-2013 at 05:02 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,000
Karma: 802238
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
If the cover doesn't change it doesn't get pushed out to the device on every connect, does it?
It gets pushed out if the metadata changes and needs to be resent. If any metadata changes then calibre sends all metadata. Trying to work out the minimal differences between the updated and current metadata would be hard and probably slower than simply resending it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,773
Karma: 12516053
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It gets pushed out if the metadata changes and needs to be resent. If any metadata changes then calibre sends all metadata. Trying to work out the minimal differences between the updated and current metadata would be hard and probably slower than simply resending it.
Seems fair enough.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,694
Karma: 3818505
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"
Hope you don't mind me tailgating your thread, DrOhh

@chaley,
Thanks for adding the size options for thumbnails. If one uses the Large option I can't help noticing that there is a lot of unused whitespace in the right-hand text part for each book. I wondered whether it might be an idea to include a few extra bits of metadata (e.g. PubDate or a few lines of the Comments, or even, dare I ask?, a choice) rather than have all that wasted whiteness. I know it's all available on each book details page but at-a-glance is always nice.

P.S. I haven't given up hope that you might also offer a grid view one day...
jackie_w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
chaley
"chaley", not "charley"
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,000
Karma: 802238
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@chaley,
Thanks for adding the size options for thumbnails. If one uses the Large option I can't help noticing that there is a lot of unused whitespace in the right-hand text part for each book. I wondered whether it might be an idea to include a few extra bits of metadata (e.g. PubDate or a few lines of the Comments, or even, dare I ask?, a choice) rather than have all that wasted whiteness. I know it's all available on each book details page but at-a-glance is always nice.
I noticed that, and was wondering how long it would take for someone to make the suggestion. I fully agree with you. Unfortunately it isn't trivial to determine the relative sizes of the text block and the image. It can be done, and it is on our list.
Quote:
P.S. I haven't given up hope that you might also offer a grid view one day...
Also on the list. This is something that should be done by Steven (our android GUI person), and he is up-to-there with other work. Perhaps by the end of Feb he will have some time cleared.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,694
Karma: 3818505
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I noticed that, and was wondering how long it would take for someone to make the suggestion.
Do I win a prize?

Excellent about those things being 'on the list'. Thank you. Love the app.
jackie_w is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calibre Companion in the news Adoby News 0 12-15-2012 09:20 AM
Calibre (or Calibre Companion) For Fetching News Directly Onto Android Tablets? mojumoka Devices 2 12-11-2012 12:18 PM
Classic Looking for the quick fix jrh Barnes & Noble NOOK 2 10-03-2010 06:19 PM
Quick way to fix simple things in mobi nounlu Kindle Formats 10 08-31-2010 04:14 PM
Get a quick Sudoku fix on the iRex iLiad Alexander Turcic iRex 20 04-04-2007 05:12 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.