Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
soondai
Fanatic
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a few
ePub reader recommendations

Hi. I just picked up an iPad4 from the Wally World sale. Have not read on an iPad for several years as my 1 has been used just for videos and stuff for the kiddo.

From what I've sorta gathered thru osmosis around here the last few years it looks like Marvin is the hands-down choice now that Stanza is gone.

I do see though that Marvin costs 4 dollars and still requires in app purchases for "themes." Also the reviews on the latest version are pretty rough, but I assume they'll fix those issues shortly.

Does Marvin let you control colors without the theme pack? I really just need one good set up for day and also a "night" setting?

I don't really object to throwing down 8 or 9 bucks if it's all that it's cracked up to be. Are there any other good and cheaper readers out there?

I don't really need Calibre integration and a lot of fancy stuff (not that I object). I'll probably just load 4 or 5 books at a time (drm free epubs).

Thanks for any help.

ps
One more question. Is Goodreader still king of the PDF apps?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 6, iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The themes are just for the main library area. You can customize the reading experience itself however you want with just the basic purchase.

And yeah, GoodReader is still king for PDFs.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
soondai
Fanatic
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a few
cool. Thanks for the info. I bought it.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Marvin is a good one for reading DRM free ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #5
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Xoom, Kindle PW, iPad3, Fire HD2
If you also play on Android, and need to sync between, or want ePub3 support, there are some choices:
Google Play Books (no DRM support, but also includes read-in-browser)
Txtr (supports Adobe DRM)
Bluefire (supports Adobe DRM, Dropbox)
Mantano Reader may join this group but so far the iOS version does not work with their cloud service. It supports Adobe DRM and OPDS.

If you convert your epub to Kindle format, you can use the Kindle app.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
For PDF, I prefer Readdle PDF expert.
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote