Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
barkas
barkas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw2
Jbed pw2 trashes file system of it crashes

When koreader or Kual crash, I had to reinstall both and copy my whole library onto the device again because much of it had vanished, being replaced by files with names like fsck0001.ren.
Any ideas what causes this and how I can prevent it?
barkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Moved to the Kindle Dev. sub-forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkas View Post
When koreader or Kual crash, I had to reinstall both and copy my whole library onto the device again because much of it had vanished, being replaced by files with names like fsck0001.ren.
Any ideas what causes this and how I can prevent it?
Hmm....

That almost sounds like you have reversed the cause and the effect.
I.E: The applications are crashing because of the file system errors.

The fsck* names are created during the file system (fs) check (ck) done during the reboot.

The root cause is whatever is creating the file system errors.
Most likely, hardware problems.

If still in warranty, return it as "broke" - it isn't practical to fix the hardware.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:53 AM   #4
barkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm....

That almost sounds like you have reversed the cause and the effect.
I.E: The applications are crashing because of the file system errors.

The fsck* names are created during the file system (fs) check (ck) done during the reboot.

The root cause is whatever is creating the file system errors.
Most likely, hardware problems.

If still in warranty, return it as "broke" - it isn't practical to fix the hardware.
Interesting point, but I'm quite sure what crashed it, because I was trying different menu options in koreader and it crashed immediately on that, like accessing the history which was at that point empty.

Since then, it has not crashed again, and I have not had further fs corruption. I only fear if it happens again, it might trash the fs again, which is a bit inconvenient.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting point, but I'm quite sure what crashed it, because I was trying different menu options in koreader and it crashed immediately on that, like accessing the history which was at that point empty.

Since then, it has not crashed again, and I have not had further fs corruption. I only fear if it happens again, it might trash the fs again, which is a bit inconvenient.
What where you doing when KUAL crashed?
Old 01-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
barkas

I had just installed that stuff and was trying what all the menu options are doing. I think one crash was in the history and the other one had to do with calibre integration.

Edit: I can not reproduce any of this.

Last edited by barkas; 01-01-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
I had just installed that stuff and was trying what all the menu options are doing. I think one crash was in the history and the other one had to do with calibre integration.

Edit: I can not reproduce any of this.
Was the USB cable connected?
If so, was the device user storage mounted to a PC?

Prior to disconnecting the cable, had the user storage been un-mounted? (or in WinTerms - "safely remove" been executed?)

- - - - -

Do a cold (full) re-boot - several times.
That will run fsck each time on the file system and be fairly certain to find/fix all file system errors.

Running a FAT32 fsck program from the PC end of the cable **IS NOT** recommended.

When certain that no more file system errors are to be found, try to duplicate the crash(es) and keep detailed notes of how to reproduce them.

You did not say how old this device was, but you write as if it where new.
So it is possible it shipped with un-corrected file system errors.

It is also possible that the external PC (with or without user interference) caused the file system errors (slim chance, but possible).
Old 01-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #8
barkas

USB cable was not connected, storage had been unmounted.
I rebooted once to be sure that the FS would be clean.

Then I did something that made koreader crash, kindle rebooted, and then all kinds of stuff was gone.

I bought the device a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately I can't get koreader to crash anymore ...

Anyway, thanks for the help, if it happens again, I'll try to keep better track of the circumstances and will hopefully be able to reproduce the problem.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I would consider it a good thing that you can't crash it anymore :-)
Usually, it would almost never crash in a way that makes the device reboot. That would be a kernel error, I guess, rather than userspace software (though of course, userspace software can - by its behaviour - trigger the kernel error). And a hard reboot or poweroff might cause a corrupted filesystem, leading to a filesystem check, which leaves those funny named files.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
barkas

Just got it to crash again. I was in KOReader Filebrowser and tried to connect to a nonexistent local Calibre catalog.

Kindle was nonresponsive for about 30 seconds, then rebooted.

/documents is still mostly intact, except the KUAL azw and a comics subfolder I had there.
/extensions is pretty much gone.
/koreader has quite a few missing (renamed) things.

So I basically had to reinstall everything KUAL related.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Just got it to crash again. I was in KOReader Filebrowser and tried to connect to a nonexistent local Calibre catalog.
- - - - -
Now there is a similarity -
You mentioned that an earlier crash was when you accessed an empty history file.

- - - - -

Perhaps a missing error check when doing file access to a missing or empty file?

But I don't see how that could corrupt the file system (crash the application - maybe, trash the file system - not likely).

Someone with better knowledge than I of KOReader will have to look at this one.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Not sure at all. As I said, when we manage to crash the whole device, the kernel is the culprit. However, we should probably avoid triggering kernel bugs. Will try to replicate, but am not sure when I'll get to do that.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
And even in the event of a kernel panic, it shouldn't trash the FS (to that extent, at least). VFAT sucks, true, but that sounds a bit extreme.

The only kpanic I ever triggered on a PW2 was mostly harmless. You might lose the date/time on some models, but that's it.

But, again, YMMV.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
barkas

My thoughts exactly. It's only explainable by very aggressive caching of the fat itself, I think.
Does the kindle use weird mount options for /mnt/us?

I'd be up to debug this myself but I don't see how without some sort of text console.

Edit: do you really think this is a kernel panic? It seems to behave like some sort of watchdog reboot.

Edit2: could it be a good idea to update to 5.6.1?

Last edited by barkas; 01-05-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
@barkas: Check dmesg (and/or the full logs (showlog)), the reboot reason is logged, and a watchdog reboot after a hang has a specific flavor that's logged .

And, no, I'd stay away from 5.6.x, but that's just me .

The userstore is originally mounted in a fairly straightforward manner, (/mnt/base-us) but it's then proxied through fuse (/mnt/us) to handle USBMS somewhat gracefully, so it's potentially unpredictable ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote