Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
jesterod
jesterod began at the beginning.

Device: iphone-stanza,kindle pw b01b
kindle cloud

is there a way to modify the cloud location? to a diferent service or even your personal cloud?
jesterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
On what?
An iPhone-Stanza?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
jesterod

no i have a kindle pw sorry i forgot yo say that also i cant find where to edit my devices
Old 08-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterod View Post
no i have a kindle pw sorry i forgot yo say that also i cant find where to edit my devices
Nothing has been posted about changing the default cloud service on any of the Paperwhite devices.

We have had a recent thread on using various types of remote file services.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=244127

Check the FIRST four characters of your device serial number against the entries in this table:
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Then, click "User CP" in the top bar.
Fill in the site nickname of what device you have, that will help us answer your questions.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
jesterod

yea i saw that thread its not what i want. if the amazon cloud desktop app actualy worked i would have no problems. tho why is it when you add a mobi or azw3 file onto amazon cloud they do not show up on the kindle cloud tab?
Old 08-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader

Lab126 is in charge of fixing Amazon firmware.
The proper contact point for something not working in their firmware is Amazon Customer Service.

We only do after-market additions here.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
shalym
Evangelist
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
yea i saw that thread its not what i want. if the amazon cloud desktop app actualy worked i would have no problems. tho why is it when you add a mobi or azw3 file onto amazon cloud they do not show up on the kindle cloud tab?
How are you adding the files to the cloud? Are you emailing to your Kindle email? Or are you using the Send to Kindle app? If you're emailing, then you may have to add the email address you're sending from to the allowed list in your Kindle account on the Amazon site.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:04 AM   #8
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch (Wifi only)
Sounds like what you want is the Kindle Store Proxy -- which unfortunately only works for the Kindle 4 non-Touch AFAIK, plus seems to be some comments about the K4Android?

I'd love to see this updated for newer devices.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:10 AM   #9
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sounds like what you want is the Kindle Store Proxy -- which unfortunately only works for the Kindle 4 non-Touch AFAIK, plus seems to be some comments about the K4Android?

I'd love to see this updated for newer devices.
That might also be a good starting point for one of the things the O.P. asked about - changing the default storage service to a "Personal Cloud" service.

What with the research already done on the control files involved;
If the "Amazon Kindle Cloud" is already using the s3(.aws) protocol, it could be very simply a matter of "re-pointing" the default.

- - - - -

KnetConnect.com does have a "Personal Cloud" service running that uses the s3 protocol.
But don't anyone wait for me to tackle this - I have zero hobby time available.

It is a usage based service -
2 cents/Gbyte storage, 4 cents/Gbyte download, no charge upload -
account limit 1Tbyte total storage.

And, as I look at the control panel -
twobob and NiLuJe already have accounts on it -
I may have forgotten to tell them about it before now.

No mention of Amazon Kindles in this list:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DreamObjec...e_Applications
But s3cmd (see that other thread) is mentioned, so if the default needs to be re-scripted . . . .

Last edited by knc1; 08-17-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
jesterod

currently i email it to my cloud but i was hoping more for a dropbox type setup because when a story updates and i sent the new copy i will have 2 copys on the cloud insted of the new one overwrighting it and to remove files i need to hit the amazon site
Old 08-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader

Quote:
currently i email it to my cloud but i was hoping more for a dropbox type setup because when a story updates and i sent the new copy i will have 2 copys on the cloud insted of the new one overwrighting it and to remove files i need to hit the amazon site
But isn't that the way it should be?
To leave the decision on what (both or new or old) version to keep on the cloud in the hands of the user?

I.E: Not practical to automate anything else, since your preference may not be that of everyone.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #12
jesterod

thats why i was looking for a way to have it point to dropbox or my own server if need be

i want to be able to run it like i run my media system tho in that i use a ftp server

the kindle store proxy does indeed look like what i want but im hopeing for something i can use wile away from home and over the kindle's 3g

Last edited by jesterod; 08-17-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #13
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader

Quote:
thats why i was looking for a way to have it point to dropbox or my own server if need be
You have been given that information, such as we have.

Quote:
i want to be able to run it like i run my media system tho in that i use a ftp server
That is what the remote file access thread does, out-of-the-box (well, out of the attachment).

Quote:
the kindle store proxy does indeed look like what i want but im hopeing for something i can use wile away from home and over the kindle's 3g
We (this site, by site policy) do not provide information on using Amazon's 3G service for other than what Amazon limits it to.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
jesterod

im not trying to use it to browse the internet just download from my books if i want something different to read that is what it is able to do from amazon i just want it from a different location is all
Old 08-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader

Quote:
im not trying to use it to browse the internet just download from my books if i want something different to read that is what it is able to do from amazon i just want it from a different location is all
Amazon gains no market research data from things that do not reside on their cloud servers.

It is the market research data that subsidizes the build cost of the Amazon Kindle devices.

Site policy is: "Don't mess with Amazon's revenue stream"
It is part of our the strategy in the "Amazon vs. Mobileread" war.