Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Actually I did load the original book into all of my 3 kindles. Before entering into Calibre. I just do that after for safe keeping.
Convert the HTMLZ version to "old" MOBI in Calibre and see if it is more readable on your Kindles (check it first using Calibre's viewer). This should give you a standard font, but if the OCR was not effective there may be many typos. If there are many OCR errors you can either give up or go pdurrant's HTMLZ -> ePub+Sigil -> MOBI route.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:35 AM   #17
anacreon
Addict
anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: sony prs-t2, kobo glo HD + aura h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Before you loaded it into Calibre the extension of file was .TPZ. After you load it in Calibre it becomes HTMLZ. If you had Kindle and checked the file in Kindle (without taking it to Calibre) it would look rather nice. But in HTMLZ it rather looks awful and you loose a lot images I think.
For the first time this morning, I bought a book on amazon, which had the .azw extension, but arrived in Calibre as HTMLZ, so it doesn't happen only for the topaz format. I was very surprised, but it seems ok when converted to epub, and converted well into a kobo epub on my (kobo) device. The pictures are ok too, important in this "evocative objects" title.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:51 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
For the first time this morning, I bought a book on amazon, which had the .azw extension, but arrived in Calibre as HTMLZ, so it doesn't happen only for the topaz format.
If the book shows up in Calibre as HTMLZ, then it was a Topaz book. File extensions don't tell you what format the book is in.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #19
anacreon
Addict
anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.anacreon walks where angels fear to fly.

Device: sony prs-t2, kobo glo HD + aura h2o
Question how do I know if the book I want to buy is a Topaz book?

I discovered that this Topaz thing means that there are no links to the notes. I asked for a refund and cancelled the book but it was a bit of a hassle. I frequently buy books on amazon, but don't wish to have to go through this again.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #20
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
All I know is that Topaz books are quite rare. I've only ever seen one, and that one got updated to become a "real" ebook.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote