Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Paperwhite firmware 5.3.3

Oh no!

Somebody please install it and tell me that the jailbreak and all existing hacks and patches continue to work.

(I haven't done so, and I won't have time to look into it in the next couple of days).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Oh no!

Somebody please install it and tell me that the jailbreak and all existing hacks and patches continue to work.

(I haven't done so, and I won't have time to look into it in the next couple of days).
At 164Mbyte - it does not seem like it will be an incremental.

I think I will poke around inside of it before risking my Paperwhite to it.

Somebody else go ahead and lock down your Kpw with it first.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bah, couldn't resist

Yes, it's a full system image again... I'm just installing it Harakiri style.

Last edited by ixtab; 01-17-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
It's more than 160Mb. HUGE!
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
It's more than 160Mb. HUGE!
It's exactly the same size as 5.3.0 and 5.3.1: 164MB. ie it's a full system image, not a patch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Just saw the announcement -- I would like this one since it's supposed to help with wifi and my PW has had some wifi troubles -- but I am waiting until it's safe and my screensaver hack won't be affected!
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)

Well, it's "safe" to update, if you have the jailbreak bridge installed. The jailbreak will be kept, all other modifications installed on main are wiped -- but you can reinstall them after the upgrade. Of course, there's no guarantee that they continue to work, but most of them will. An exception is everything that is Java-based and non-trivial -- the lab126 guys must have really fallen in love with their obfuscator tool.

And, should everything else fail, you can always downgrade to 5.3.1.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Quote:
Well, it's "safe" to update, if you have the jailbreak bridge installed. The jailbreak will be kept, all other modifications installed on main are wiped -- but you can reinstall them after the upgrade. Of course, there's no guarantee that they continue to work, but most of them will. An exception is everything that is Java-based and non-trivial -- the lab126 guys must have really fallen in love with their obfuscator tool.

And, should everything else fail, you can always downgrade to 5.3.1.
Thanks for the re-assurance; I appreciate it. In my limited knowledge of these things, I think the screensaver hack (the only one I have installed) isn't too complex and worked over the most recent software update, so fingers crossed.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I think I'll skip it, as long as I can. I really don't want to have to do all my collection manager stuff over again.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think I'll skip it, as long as I can. I really don't want to have to do all my collection manager stuff over again.
Well if that is all you need, you can update. All user content is kept, and CM now works on 5.3.3.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Well if that is all you need, you can update. All user content is kept, and CM now works on 5.3.3.
Oh ok, when you said "modifications on main wiped out" I got scared.

I'm not in a hurry to get it, I'll wait til next month, which is the next time I need to turn wifi on (for my kindle lending library book).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
Most of my hacks work.

- screensaver works
- kindlet installed fine.
- collection manager works.
- usbnet works ssh over wifi.
- jbpatch sort of. I can bring up the gui and hyphenation appears to be working. The version doesn’t show in device info though. I do see some md5 errors not sure if that is normal or not.
- USE_ALT_FONTS works.

Thanks.
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
@ixtab:
Couldn't resist huh? I think what got to you was in the announcement (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Troubleshooting Update Issues
--
Received an error message when selecting "Update Your Kindle".
--
Unsupported software modifications are present.
--
The Kindle doesn't support software modification, and will be unable to update the Kindle software if it has been modified. Contact the original developer of the software modification for instructions on how to remove the modification.
Nice try lab126, and yes, ixtab took the bait, and in the end he will be on top. Everybody else here will too.

They gotta have a love - hate relationship with you.

Awesome job on CM, but where is the new JBPatch? it has been hours already. just kidding

@sitrucz:
Thank you for beeing the guinea pig. USB Network over usb is the only thing I care about for the time beeing. It still does work over usb? Is wifi support new, sorry never tried it over wifi with my 5.3.1.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Awesome job on CM, but where is the new JBPatch? it has been hours already. just kidding
I guess it has been so long since I posted the link - people have forgotten about it:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Tool...ode_References

Scroll down, last link entry on the page.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I guess it has been so long since I posted the link - people have forgotten about it:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Tool...ode_References

Scroll down, last link entry on the page.
Oh wow. Downloading that repository right now. Until it is done I will step outside.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote