Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
cgsmom
Connoisseur
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6, NST, HP Stream 7, iPad Air 2
Nook to Kindle questions

I have looked on the forum for these issues, but haven't found any definitive answers.

I have been loyal to B&N for many years (almost 1500 books worth). However, I have given up hope for them to redeem themselves. I have been buying from Amazon for about the last six months. My husband got tired of watching me struggle with my failing HD+ and handed me the Target ad with iPad Air 2 on sale. The only Nook I have left is my trusty NST. However, I am longing for a new Voyage. I know that I can sideload content to the Voyage, but the thought of having content synced to my iPad is very appealing.

Now for questions. I have all my books in Calibre. I tried to use Send to Kindle to send a book converted to AZW3. It did not work. I could only get MOBI format to work. Is that correct, or did I do something wrong?

Also, won't Amazon notice if I have a book in my library that should have DRM but does not? I hate DRM but I don't want to get in trouble about it.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPhone 5S, Voyage, IPad Air 2, PW2
Calibre always converts my ebooks to mobi when I sent to my kindle pw2
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I have looked on the forum for these issues, but haven't found any definitive answers.

I have been loyal to B&N for many years (almost 1500 books worth). However, I have given up hope for them to redeem themselves. I have been buying from Amazon for about the last six months. My husband got tired of watching me struggle with my failing HD+ and handed me the Target ad with iPad Air 2 on sale. The only Nook I have left is my trusty NST. However, I am longing for a new Voyage. I know that I can sideload content to the Voyage, but the thought of having content synced to my iPad is very appealing.

Now for questions. I have all my books in Calibre. I tried to use Send to Kindle to send a book converted to AZW3. It did not work. I could only get MOBI format to work. Is that correct, or did I do something wrong?

Also, won't Amazon notice if I have a book in my library that should have DRM but does not? I hate DRM but I don't want to get in trouble about it.
Hi. I use Send to Kindle all the time and I generally save the book to the cloud. I have legally purchased the book and have the receipt, so I don't worry too much about the format shifting. Amazon have never raised the issue with me.

Regarding the format issue. In Calibre I have set the output options to "both". To do this go to Preferences > Output Options > MOBI output and in MOBI file type (dropdown box) select "both" and then apply.

When you then convert, a file will be created containing both formats.

My understanding is that the file containing both mobi formats is then accepted by Amazon and the appropriate format will be delivered to the device.

Once in the cloud you can download to more than one device and sync.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your new Kindle!

Last edited by cadele; 07-18-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added information
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote