Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast
slvrsplsh doesn't litterslvrsplsh doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Nook Color
Cool Sony service is a joke.

Today I tried to get some help from Sony Tech Support. It took me about an hour of searching before I even found the number. I called and got a heavily accented operator named Bryan. He asked me to shut my device down using the Shutdown menu. I explained that my device was in a boot loop and couldn't be shut down. Then he had me try to start it using the reset / power combination;that didn't work either. After doing this thee times (Each after 2 hours of charge time), he finally gave up he told me about my service options. Option 1: take a refurb, Option 2: Take my unit back after repair. Well, he looked up my account and found that my warranty ran out on Dec 27, '12. OK, I asked him about out of warranty options. He told me that if I took the refurb unit, it would be $99. OK I sort of expected that. I asked about repairing mine and sending it back to me. Well, that would b $99,too. I love my PRS-T1, but I'll look for a used device at about $50. I've seen 'em. They are out there, or I just might learn to like my Nook Color as a reader.
slvrsplsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsplsh View Post
Today I tried to get some help from Sony Tech Support. It took me about an hour of searching before I even found the number. I called and got a heavily accented operator named Bryan. He asked me to shut my device down using the Shutdown menu. I explained that my device was in a boot loop and couldn't be shut down. Then he had me try to start it using the reset / power combination;that didn't work either. After doing this thee times (Each after 2 hours of charge time), he finally gave up he told me about my service options. Option 1: take a refurb, Option 2: Take my unit back after repair. Well, he looked up my account and found that my warranty ran out on Dec 27, '12. OK, I asked him about out of warranty options. He told me that if I took the refurb unit, it would be $99. OK I sort of expected that. I asked about repairing mine and sending it back to me. Well, that would b $99,too. I love my PRS-T1, but I'll look for a used device at about $50. I've seen 'em. They are out there, or I just might learn to like my Nook Color as a reader.
I see you're in Upstate New York. If you've got friends or family in Canada, Sony is still running a promo on factory refurb T1s. http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...52921666485877 You could have them order you one.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
It's hard to imagine how Sony deserves your inflammatory title given what you say has transpired.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Sonylistens
Sony Customer Service Rep
Sonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Smile Reply

Quote:
Hello slvrsplsh,

My name is Amanda and I work on the Sony Support team. I'm very sorry to see that you are so upset with Sony's customer service. I would love to review your file and make sure it was handled properly. I understand that you are just a few days out of warranty. Please send me an email to sonylistens@am.sony.com and make sure to include contact information, model information and any previous reference numbers you may have. I will review your case and get back in touch with you as soon as possible. I look forward to working with you!

Best regards,
Amanda Jeter
Sony Support USA
Sonylistens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonylistens View Post
Hello slvrsplsh,

My name is Amanda and I work on the Sony Support team. I'm very sorry to see that you are so upset with Sony's customer service. I would love to review your file and make sure it was handled properly. I understand that you are just a few days out of warranty. Please send me an email to sonylistens@am.sony.com and make sure to include contact information, model information and any previous reference numbers you may have. I will review your case and get back in touch with you as soon as possible. I look forward to working with you!

Best regards,
Amanda Jeter
Sony Support USA
Maybe Sony's customer service has improved as their financial fortunes wane. In spite of my love for my PRS-3xx readers, I have always bought Sony equipment in spite of their customer service not because of it. (Still won't buy a Sony camera - too much of a risk for something that important to me)
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Maybe Sony's customer service has improved as their financial fortunes wane. In spite of my love for my PRS-3xx readers, I have always bought Sony equipment in spite of their customer service not because of it. (Still won't buy a Sony camera - too much of a risk for something that important to me)
Well, I say give them the benefit of the doubt. They're reading the forum and responding to see if they may be able to help. Any company can have something go wrong. How they deal with it will be the measure of them.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast
slvrsplsh doesn't litterslvrsplsh doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Nook Color
Apologies

Hi all, I would like to apologize to all, and Amanda especially. I had just spent most of the day with a problem that couldn't be resolved. My frustration just got the better of me. I can't take back what I said, but I am truly sorry that I posted this flame
slvrsplsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Hi all, I would like to apologize to all, and Amanda especially. I had just spent most of the day with a problem that couldn't be resolved. My frustration just got the better of me. I can't take back what I said, but I am truly sorry that I posted this flame
We've all been there. I know that I have. We just want out favorite reader to behave like we want it, and when it doesn't, frustration set in. I'm just glad that you are getting it addressed and resolved soon. Let us know.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Hello slvrsplsh,

Best regards,
Amanda Jeter
Sony Support USA
Blah, blah, blah. My 650 died after 14 months because of a known design fault. It would've cost 150 bucks to fix it, and all I got was this dumb email. I will never buy a new Sony e-reader again.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
TENAZ
TENAZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony I3
Thumbs down SONY WARRANTY SUCKS,POOR CUSTOMER SERVICES I NEVER BUY ANY SONY PRODUCTS EVER

Quote:
Hello slvrsplsh,

Best regards,
Amanda Jeter
Sony Support USA

Sony Corporation Failed to honor warranty repair on the Laptop I bought Last April 2012.
Sony as corporation violated California Consumer legal remedies act.
I reported no picture screen issue on my Sony Laptop on January 11 2013,After submitting all documentations I got the ok to take my laptop to a Sony local repair facility,On January 12 I took the laptop to the Sony Store in Sta Monica After the technician look and isnpected the Laptop determined it needs to be send out to Laredo Texas to have reeplace its Lcd Screen.
He states on his Paperwork no physical damaged and it marks the Laptop is under Warranty on the diagnostic Sheet.
Few Days later I received a phone call from their tech support in Philippines asking me for the purchase receipt other ways it won't be covered under the warranty, I told him the agent that took the original report clear up this issue because I sent him a copy document from the Sony website stating also the Unit is under warranty."He Threated and push me to get the purchase receipt otherways it won't be cover under the warranty" he said,I told him it would create such inconvenience to get it possibly from 10 to 20 days delay. So I decide to file a complaint for the Waranty process with Sony Customer Relations ,I filed on e-mail a formal complaint for the contradictory statement from their tech suppport.So the time goes, Sony Customer Relation rep backed their Tech agent from Phillipines asking me to provide her the purchase Receipt,I told her the same it would be an inconvenience to get the receipt for the time I have to wait from the store.
By the week of January 25 I was told by a Lady agent from Laredo Texas to repair the Laptop it would cost me around $317.00 and even if is covered under the warranty services it won't cover because the physical damaged on the laptop,
I replied her : "You guys have contradictory statements" the Technician in the Sony store says is not Physical damaged is not damaged on the bezel or its screen.And Now you are telling me there is a physical damaged,I asked her to send me back the laptop so I can have a private technician to repair it. Knowing this I escalated this issue to Linda (an executive in San Diego California) I told her my horrible experience that I had with the Warranty process and now they trying to charge me for something it should be cover by the warranty,Linda forward my issue to Paul who offered me to pay half of the cost for the Inconvenience I been thru.I denied his offer and I told him look the laptop doesn't have a crack on the screen or its damaged if Sony Doesn't want to repair it I may have to go court to have them pay for the repair and court's cost. I even I e-mailed him pictures on the Laptop the Invoice from the private technician that Repaired the laptop and he put on the invoice the damaged on the screen it was not for physical damaged it was for something internal and damaged the liquid Layer,Today he left me a voice message saying his supervisor won't give ok tpo reimburse me my expenses and the repair had to be done by Sony.So thats why I'm reporting this Misleading Action done by Sony and I may have to take legal action against them to get my money back.
TENAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Actually, despite the weak reputation, SONY support for ereaders has always exceeded my expectations and they have even replaced an out-of-warranty PRS900 with a fading screen for free.

Now, with my PS3, I have had some nightmarish stories. But their ereader division has always been professional and helpful.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pretty strong praise coming from you.

[EDITED TO ADD] I agree with your praise.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Pretty strong praise coming from you.

[EDITED TO ADD] I agree with your praise.
Heh, not sure how to take this.
But yes, I have had my share of problems with my SONY readers - but customer service was great.
It must be fairly inconsistent, because I constantly read of others having different experiences - but I have nothing but praise.
I had problems with the screen of a PRS900 while on an extended stay abroad. So, by the time I called SONY, it was way past warranty expiration. They replaced the unit without losing a beat.
I had some problems with subscriptions and books - and every time I complained, I got full refunds and I got to keep the content I purchased (defective content, but... hey, free).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
I agree with the title of this thread. I've contacted Sony twice for help, both times via email. The service was dire.

The first time after I migrated to Windows 7 when the Reader Library softeware wouldn't load. Totally unhelpful and the forums weren't any better. I eventually found a solution to my problem in Microsoft's Community Forum.

The second time was after I bought my T1 last year and had a problem migrating my books to the new Reader for PC software. It was obvious from the reply I received to my inital query that the customer services agent didn't know what the old Reader Library software was or had any knowledge of the PRS-505. After being asked for information the agent shold have known based on the information I provided I gave up. I added my library to the Reader for PC software from my 505. It was quicker!

As a consequence of this I would think long and hard about buying any Sony product.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
petercreasey
Wizard

M, You should call the Sony customer service when you have a problem. They are very helpful.