Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: So which one would you suggest me to get (be aware, this is a public poll)
Used (or refurbished) Kindle DX Graphite 3G International version 8 40.00%
New (or used) Boox M92 12 60.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Kindle fan wants big screen - which to buy? New M92 or used DX?

Hi,

have been an avid Kindle fan for about 2 years now (Kindle Keyboard primarily, but also Kindle Fire for nighttime reading and iPad 1 with the Kindle app for big screen) ... and have realized that I would love to have a bigger eInk screen (maybe not to lug around, but for reading at home).

Unfortunately the Kindle DX is no longer available, so my question is ... what would you suggest? Get a new M92 or try to get a used Kindle DX?

I guess the M92 might be the more modern device, but I guess I would have to transfer the books using Calibre and removing DRM to read them on the M92 (plan to continue to buy my books through Amazon, it's quite convenient).

Best regards,
Andy

***** UPDATE ****

I have just noticed that on German eBay, there seem to be quite a number of units of the PocketBook 912 available. Would that also be an option I should look at? Hmmm

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-14-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Zilov
Enthusiast
Zilov began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2, Nook STwGL, Bookeen Muse
Kindle DX - suxx. Buy ONYX.
Zilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Unfortunately the Kindle DX is no longer available, so my question is ... what would you suggest? Get a new M92 or try to get a used Kindle DX?
It depends. I was offered to get K DX for free and instead I decided to buy and use M92. And I've never regreted the decision.

If you are not in hurry, the best might be to wait few months. There should be Android ported to M92 in March. And so you could use android app to read Kindle formats and possibly do shopping (I am not sure what app does...).

The porting of Android may be delayed, as often happens with SW projects and also someone said he was not sure, android will run well on M92. I do not understand the stuff...

Anyway M92 is superior to KDX by a great deal, in my opinion.

Last edited by Mono; 01-07-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
I owned a Kindle DXG and now I have the M92.

After my experience with both, I can assure you that the M92 is far superior in every way.

regards
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting - thank you all for your contributions!

How, exactly, is the M92 better than the kindle?

What I see so far is around the following lines:

Screen
- tie, both use eInk Pearl (K DXG at least)

Ecosystem, buying books
- advantage Kindle, no conversion needed
- advantage Kindle for free 3G to transfer books

Entry of information
- advantage M92 with touch screen and stylus, possibility to take notes

Andything I am overlooking?
Is there any way to use the M92 for other things instead of book reading?
Mentioning an Android Port sounds interesting ... will that be also available for older models, then?

Thank you in advance!
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-08-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

M92 has wifi, you could do basic web browsing. There is evopedia ported for M92 - you can use Wiki offline (I hope it is still true in new firmware).

There is SD card reader in M92. You may have lots of books. And transport of data is easier.

M92 has TTS (text to speach), you may install aditional dictionaries, play few games (chess, gomoku, sudoku, ...). Beside annotating you may also draw/sketch.

What was very annoing for me on K DXG was that it was not possible to organize files in tree structure. Kindle showed everything in alphabetic or date of use order. It is complete disaster if you have 1000+ of papers.

e-ink have both the same, but I am not sure about processor and RAM memory. M92 is few years younger, so I guess it might have more memory and more processor power.

M92 is smaller than K DXG because it lacks keyboard. So, it is easier to carry.

Android if successfuly ported should be available for "old" M92. Nothing is sure until it happens reality.

If you are Amazon oriented and can wait few months. I would wait for android port. You would gain advantage of both worlds.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
I just got my M92 two weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I have owned a DX in the past, but the M92 makes the DX look like a toy in comparison.

The M92 offers the full benefits of a 9.7" E Ink stylus screen and highly advanced firmware. The PDFReader app is great, and there are just so many different viewing options. Unfortunately, their user manual isn't very detailed, so I am not sure how to make full use of everything yet, but with some practice I will be there soon.

I also really love that an Onyx distributor regularly posts firmware updates and patches right here on Mobileread! I am not a very 'techie' person, so I love the chance to do things like load firmware updates haha. I really feel like Booxtor takes care of his customers all around the globe. Also, there are some very kind and helpful MR members, like Mono, who are willing to help troubleshoot.

I am from USA, but many Onyx users are still in Europe. There is a US vendor who sells the M92 on eBay, but for some reason they spiked the price up from $399 to $429 within the last two weeks. Maybe you should wait a bit until it goes back down.

Anyway, I am an Onyx customer for life. I just hope I will be able to purchase future models from a vendor here in the USA .
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Andy_T
Evangelist

Thank you for the feedback!

Hmm, tough call.

I want to read books.

I don't need to read PDFs, available RAM (and, by extension, usability of SD cards and so on) has not been a concern for me, so far. I don't take thousands of books with me (normally have about a hundred stored in my KK), so yes, while it might suck a little bit to scroll through multiple pages of books and then find what I need in "archive", the hierarchical structure (or lack thereof) also is not a big issue for me.

Taking notes on the M92 and drawing might be nice, but I might not need that. If it had a calendar function that could sync with my Lotus Notes, now that would be a killer application I'd go for immediately. But I guess for that I would have to use one of my tablets.

On the other hand, having free 3G and no hassles with converting books on the DX - that would be really nice. As I mentioned, I love my KK to death - with all its shortcomings, but the screen might be nicer if larger.

What might be an issue, however, is the inability of the Kindle DX to display other character sets, if my wife might wants to read Chinese books on it at some point in time (on the other hand, then she might prefer it over the iPad, which might pose a problem of a different kind for me). Size of the device is possibly another one.

The Kindle DX seems to be keeping its value well, from what I see on eBay in Germany they seem to sell at about the same price as lightly used M92s. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Maybe I get both and keep the one I like more. (Or maybe my wife kills me if I get already either of them. Wives seldom understand why it is perfectly logical to get multiple eReaders). So I'll keep watching the

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Mono
Mono

Size of RAM memory might be important when reading scanned texts or texts with many pictures. Stronger CPU means faster page turns.
And G2 you may have via wifi using tethering cellphone with G2 or or G2-WiFi gadget. But you would have to pay for G2.

So, the only real problem is conversion of files. If android comes to M92, no problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Andy_T
Evangelist

My guess is, IF Android really comes to M92, then it would have a lot of other great features, as well :-)

Let's wait and see a bit.

Best regards,
Andy
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
@Andy_T
just for the fun of it, ask the same question in the kindle forum.
You would most probably get different recommendations.

Finally, it is you who to decide which features are important for you.
Here're couple of my thoughts, though (to make it more complicated ).
1) Wifi is a plus but do not expect a computer experience.
2) More RAM and processor should theoretically result in a better reading experience but interplay between software and hardware seems to be very important. I remember seeing a thread that with some pdf files KDXG still has beaten the M92.
3) Availability of an keyboard can actually be a plus.
3) M92 still gets updates, KDXG has seen practically no updates from the very beginning. Some M92 users consider the M92 software half-baked. I would not recommend the KDXG out-of-the-box to anyone. What makes it shine is a alternative software kpdfviewer. It has many features missing in both kindle firmware and (judging by the M92 wish list) M92 firmware.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #12
Andy_T
Evangelist

Yes, I was considering that, but was afraid that it might be considered a double post (which is not good).

** Update: Ok, obviously posting a second thread in another forum to get different viewpoints is not considered a good idea, second thread with poll was deleted by admins. Will refrain from that in the future. **

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-10-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #13
Andy_T
Evangelist

Kindle fan wants big screen - which to buy,new M92 or used DX? (Kindle Point of view)

Hello,

please be aware that this is a DOUBLE POST of a thread I have originally started in the Boox M92 forum - specifically targeted at getting the perspective of Kindle owners, as opposed to M92 owners.

If that is not acceptable by forum rules, I apologize for it.

I have been an avid Kindle fan for about 2 years now (Kindle Keyboard primarily, but also Kindle Fire for nighttime reading and iPad 1 with the Kindle app for big screen) ... and have realized that I would love to have a bigger eInk screen (maybe not to lug around, but for reading at home).

I guess the M92 might be the more modern device, but I guess I would have to transfer the books using Calibre and removing DRM to read them on the M92 (plan to continue to buy my books through Amazon, it's quite convenient).

I mainly want to read amazon books. I normally do not read PDFs, so what is your take on this?

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-10-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
Zilov
Enthusiast
Zilov began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2, Nook STwGL, Bookeen Muse
M92's screen is much better than old DX: the contrast is higher.
Zilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
Andy_T
Evangelist

Indeed, but the DX Graphite model should have the exact same eInk Pearl screen, correct?

Love the small version of that screen on my Kindle Keyboard.