Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
jerryleejr
Sony-rific
jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Which reader is the most conversion friendly

I am leaning towards the Sony Reader but I have come across a few books that I want to read that are only in Mobipocket format. I understand that the Cybook will work for this. But there are also a few that are in MS reader format that I can convert for the Sony. I really wish there would be one standard format or allow readers to reconize multiple formats. I really dont think it would be that difficult to release a book in multiple formats.

Jerry
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
In fairness, most books are released in multiple formats.

LIT books can trivially be converted (where legal) to both Sony and MobiPocket formats with free tools; each conversion is equally straightforward.

My personal preference is for a device which can read MobiPocket books, because MobiPocket is supported by a very wide range of different devices; you're not tied down to a single manufacturer as you are to a certain extent with Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Books without DRM are routinely available in multiple formats for a single price (buy once, download as many times as you want in as many formats as you want, for personal use only obviously).

Books with DRM are also usually available in multiple formats, but if you want two formats you have to pay the full price twice. This is a requirement imposed by the publishers. To be fair to them, it may be because they have to pay the DRM providers. It would be a huge step forward if we could buy a 2nd format for a nominal price - this would actually bring in more revenue, cover the costs of the DRM, and make buyers more comfortable with e-books. Multiple formats at no extra cost would be even better, but I don't see than happening any time soon.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
jerryleejr
Sony-rific
jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.jerryleejr is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I guess I was really hoping to get one of my collections/favorite authors on a format other than mobipocket.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
but I have come across a few books that I want to read that are only in Mobipocket format.
FWIW, sometimes books appear to only be available in MP format, but with enough looking other formats are available. For instance I've found a few books in LIT format only for sale at ebooks.com and nowhere else. ebooks.com charges full list price (no discounting), but in a few cases it's worth it.

Also sometimes contacting the publisher gets results. I know I bugged Hatchette about a series (and encouraged other fans to do it too) they were only putting out in MP & eReader and I'm glad to see now they've made it available in LIT format. Not that my contacting them necessarily got them to do anything, but it couldn't hurt. A lot of the publishers are still feeling there way with ebooks and are glad for input.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #6
jerryleejr
Sony-rific

I just received an email from the publisher that said they had just signed a deal with Amazon for there books. I really dont want a kindle. But maybe version 2 will work for me. I just really liked the form and function of the 505.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I guess I was really hoping to get one of my collections/favorite authors on a format other than mobipocket.
What's wrong with Mobipocket? Out of all the eReader software I've tried, I prefer Mobipocket.

I looked around and researched eReaders for several weeks and finally decided to get the Cybook Gen3....mostly because there were so many Mobipocket bookstores where I could buy books and I found a library that has an extensive Mobipocket collection where I can check books out.

Since I've been hanging around here, I''ve learned how to convert LIT books into Mobipocket, and I am so happy to have the Cybook. I just wish it handled PDF files better, but then most of the eBook readers don't handle PDF files so well.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
What's wrong with Mobipocket? Out of all the eReader software I've tried, I prefer Mobipocket.
He has a Sony 505, that's what's wrong with it.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Oh, I thought he had not yet made a decision. Oh well...
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Oh, I thought he had not yet made a decision. Oh well...
Maybe he hasn't :shrugs:, just going by his listed device.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Take a look at Hanlin's Jinke ebook reader. It seems to support more formats than everyone else put togeather.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:48 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
Take a look at Hanlin's Jinke ebook reader. It seems to support more formats than everyone else put togeather.

Andy
But - and please correct me if I'm wrong - I don't believe it supports ANY of the standard DRM formats, does it? That could be a major issue if you wish to buy commercial eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
Gudy
Guru
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But - and please correct me if I'm wrong - I don't believe it supports ANY of the standard DRM formats, does it? That could be a major issue if you wish to buy commercial eBooks.
You are right. The Hanlin e-book readers only support their own proprietary WOLF format, although there are persistent rumours that Jinke is working on Mobipocket support.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #14
jerryleejr
Sony-rific

I was getting a 505 from my wife but I told her to hold off until I sort out the format issues. ( I have a mac, not alot of access to a PC etc.) I have been downloading PDF's on my laptop for the moment until I figured out which device worked better for me. I really like the sony cant see spending the extra money on the kindle or CYBOOK I dont know. I am looking at every angle.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:

I looked around and researched eReaders for several weeks and finally decided to get the Cybook Gen3....
You've purchased the wrong device. The Gen3 is not eReader compatible. Any eReader books you may have purchased won't work with it.. In fact, no eink based device can read DRM eReader books.

All that aside, please refrain from incorrectly using the term eReader because it may cause someone who doesn't know to purchase some device or eBooks that cannot be used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote