Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
badabin
badabin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
First use first problem

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and unfortunately I need help handling my Kobo Aura. First, let me apologize for the mistaskes I'm about to make, I'm belgian and my first language is french.

So here's the deal : I've just bought a Kobo Aura to start feeling the joy of reading on a e-reader. The screen asks me to charge the ereader "The battery is low: 0% remaining. To recharge your redaer, connect it to a power source.", which is normal I guess since it's the first time I use it.
I did plug it into my computer and nothing happened, no light, absolutely nothing. I tried the move on another computer, same result.
I don't have any AC adapter, so only USB via PC.

Remark : my mom, who owns a kindle, has got no problem charging it on the same PC, it recognizes the kindle perfectly.

What can I do ? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
badabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Do you have another USB cable you can try? If it's charging, the screen will show a "Computer detected" window with prompts to Cancel or Connect. I'd select Connect and let it fully charge before reading.

If you have any AC plug charger for your cell phones, you might give that a try if the end is the same and fits in the Kobo, many of them will work perfectly to charge various devices, your ereader included. Wall charging would be quicker than USB charging.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 03-21-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Ripplinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
badabin
badabin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thank you for you answer.

I tried to charge it with the USB cable of my mother's kindle, it won't work neither.
Tried to charge it with the AC charger of my cell phone, it fit in my kobo but still, no result...

Do you think I should already return in to the store ?
badabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
dickloraine
Addict
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
I would replace it. Normally it shouldn't be dry the first time you use it. Mine had about 70% left when I used it the first time. And usb should work too. Maybe it was so long in the store, that it run completely dry and the battery is damaged.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Yeah, lithium ion batteries don't like being drained completely (they'll usually shut off well above that but charge drains slowly over time) so it's not normal to get one with a flat battery. It might be worth leaving it plugged in for a few hours and see if that revives it. With a very flat battery it can take devices a while to get enough charge to turn on.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
Yeah, lithium ion batteries don't like being drained completely (they'll usually shut off well above that but charge drains slowly over time) so it's not normal to get one with a flat battery. It might be worth leaving it plugged in for a few hours and see if that revives it. With a very flat battery it can take devices a while to get enough charge to turn on.
I'll second this advice and the advice to replace it even if this does get you up and running. Nothing good happens to the battery if left empty over time and it's hard to know how long this one has been dead or if it was just a faulty battery off the top.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #7
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
What they said ^^^^ Bought new, it should come with at least half of the battery life. If this is secondhand, I wonder if they've sold it to you as a dud/fully drained/dead. Hopefully you bought this from somewhere you can return it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote