Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2015, 04:30 AM   #1
embatbai
embatbai began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Main Differences Between Android and IOS?

I know that the Android OS gives the users more freedom to customize it. And IOS is pretty much closed system. I've never used IOS before but if it's such a closed system, what makes it more attractive to some people? (excluding apps selections) compare to Android?
embatbai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Nexus 7 mine !
The iPad is considered easy to use for people who are not technically minded
IOS 8.4 on the iPad and OS X Yosemite for the MAC are fairly safe from hackers because of the closed system
The iPad is a very clever tablet and a pleasure to use
Not saying an Android tablet is hard but they tend to be more of a challenge to some people
I guess it's a personal preference, I've just started using the iPad as my wife hardly uses it, it's growing on me

Welcome to the forum
Quelch
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Having both an iPad and an Android tablet, I'd say that some of the iOS apps are a lot more polished than their Android equivalents. Eg, I've not yet found any PDF reader for Android which compares to "GoodReader" on iOS.

But both are excellent environments.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
jhowell
Addict
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kinde PW II, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by embatbai View Post
I know that the Android OS gives the users more freedom to customize it. And IOS is pretty much closed system. I've never used IOS before but if it's such a closed system, what makes it more attractive to some people? (excluding apps selections) compare to Android?
I use both iOS and Android devices. Android is better for those who want more flexibility, but I generally prefer iOS for several reasons.

It is what I used first. Since there are more similarities than differences in what you can accomplish with either system there is little reason to switch once you have made a choice and become comfortable with one.

iOS devices have better ongoing software support compared with most Android devices. Many Android devices never receive an OS update after release. You need to research the manufacturer's track record for support before purchasing. For example, Nexus devices are well supported.

The iOS app store seems to be better curated, with fewer malicious apps. Not much of an issue as long as you stick to popular apps.

You specifically exclude app selection in your question, but since the main purpose of these systems is to run apps, the available app selection is a factor. Historically, popular new apps have come out on iOS prior to being available on Android.

I have tried several e-book lending service apps on both iOS and Android: Scribd, Oyster and Hoopla. In my experience the Android versions are more prone to problems, such as random crashes and incorrect book rendering. Perhaps they pay more attention to their iOS apps or perhaps the development environment is better for eliminating bugs in iOS.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote