Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #181
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^While I applaud you for keeping the economics of bookselling going on your own, someone needs to encrypt your paypal account into oblivion.
I actually tend to agree. Or at least with the notion of letting someone else change your password so that you have to get through at least one other persons' smell test before you buy more books that you may or may not get to for a few years...or decades.

I know it sounds really silly, but I have always found with my students that if you make them accountable to at least one other person they respect, it goes a long way.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #182
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Like pdurrant, I've about given up on controlling my ebook budget for the year. But as HomeInMyShoes mentions, I comfort myself with the thought that I'm supporting the publication of books. I never bought so many books before buying my first ereader.

Right now I am facing a struggle of what to do about eight of Ann Bridge mysteries dropping to $1.99. Let the rationalizations begin: two are the cost of a latte which I won't have today. Or one was already on my wish list, so that's all right. Or all 8 are the cost of a movie and popcorn... or....
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #183
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Like pdurrant, I've about given up on controlling my ebook budget for the year. But as HomeInMyShoes mentions, I comfort myself with the thought that I'm supporting the publication of books. I never bought so many books before buying my first ereader.

Right now I am facing a struggle of what to do about eight of Ann Bridge mysteries dropping to $1.99. Let the rationalizations begin: two are the cost of a latte which I won't have today. Or one was already on my wish list, so that's all right. Or all 8 are the cost of a movie and popcorn... or....
My rationalization for buying all of the James Bond books, when they were that price, was that I had no idea if/when they would be that low again.

My book purchasing also skyrocketed once i was the proud owner of an ereader. I say, get the books and forego the lattes for a few days.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #184
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I say, get the books and forego the lattes for a few days.
Rationalization #4: Books have fewer calories than lattes.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #185
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Rationalization #4: Books have fewer calories than lattes.
Exactly!!!

And can be read while working off any extra pounds on a treadmill or stationary bike!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #186
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Like pdurrant, I've about given up on controlling my ebook budget for the year.
I haven't given up! I just recognise the problem I might have meeting my goal.

My average purchase price for ebooks this year is $2.87 so far. I don't expect it to rise much beyond $3.00 by the end of the year.

So I am being quite frugal. I'm just being frugal a lot of times!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #187
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Two month in check-up.

17 books read and almost 5,000 pages. Pretty good start to the year. More importantly, there are only 27 more years to complete.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #188
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
25 books added to TBR, 11 of which cost money, and 7 read. Not great. I'll be reasonably happy if I read more than I buy, but I've just started a 900-pager.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #189
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm a few books behind schedule, largely because I chose some longer books to start the challenge with. I won't let it bother me until the second half of the year
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #190
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
4,660 pages and 11 books so far, well ahead of my pace last year for pages.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #191
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
It's been such a long time, I do not recall which R.A. Lafferty books I read. His estate has been sold to a publisher, and it is not certain when the books will be re-released. His catalog is effectively OOP. Only two short stories are in the public domain. His books sell for 10 - 20 times their original price on ebay. When you get the urge to reread an author, that obsession is not easy or inexpensive to satisfy. There goes an entire year's book budget!
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #192
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
25 books added to TBR, 11 of which cost money, and 7 read. Not great. I'll be reasonably happy if I read more than I buy, but I've just started a 900-pager.
Oh yes, and I bought one book that superseded another on my TBR, so it's actually 7 read and one removed. Poirot: The Complete Short Stories contains the whole of Poirot's Early Cases, so I will take that back to the charity shop unread.

I think The Complete Stories contains about five books' worth of material. If it was formatted as an omnibus of separate books, I'd have counted it as 5 more books on the TBR. Luckily it's just a different way of compiling the stories and I get to count it as 1.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #193
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
I did far better than I expected for the month of February. A total of 4438 pages - 15 books and, again, 2 short stories. Of course, these weren't deep and complicated tomes -- mostly mysteries, 250-400 pages. I was visiting relatives most of the month and I'm awake long before the rest of the household. That gave me 2-3 hours each morning to quietly enjoy my coffee and read. Heaven.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #194
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I'm a few books behind schedule, largely because I chose some longer books to start the challenge with. I won't let it bother me until the second half of the year
I'm also behind but for different reasons. I've been busy with school work and by the time I get some down time I'm too drained to do any serious reading. So I end up watching crap programming on Netflix. I'm trying to get better with that.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #195
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think I really shouldn't have set a buying target this year. 17% of the way through the year, and I'm already at 39% of my target...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote