|12-29-2012, 06:14 AM||#31|
keep calm and carry on
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the shade of the morning sun
Device: ipad mini & sony 950
Goal: Read 4,000 pages in the first half of 2013
Progress - 2277/4000 pages
✭✫✫✫✫ - Disliked
✭✭✫✫✫ - So-so
✭✭✭✫✫ - Good
✭✭✭✭✫ - Excellent
✭✭✭✭✭ - Favourite
apple trees and honey bees and snow white turtle doves
Last edited by sun surfer; 05-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.
|12-29-2012, 06:17 AM||#32|
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Perth Western Australia
Device: kindle paperwhite
So far I have set my goal at 50 books. I think I will do that with ease as I have actually found a pile of books I want to read under 350 pages.
I also want to break my habit of once I start a book I must finish it. It just slows me down as I hate picking up a book I am not enjoying.
To try at least one other fantasy serious other than GRMM
hmmmm I think I will add to this
already made a dent in my pile 3 books down in 2 days.
January 10th and 10 books down
January sees 21 books read, far more than I expected but most where around 350 pages so small books. I will see how I go next month and may revise my goal.
February saw only 8 books down bringing the years total to 29. Bit of illness and lot going on put me well behind. I hope to do better next month
March what can I say, I suck, way to many distractions only 7 books readmaking a total of 36 books for the year
So it is bye bye April with only 6 books read, bringing the years total to 42. I may have to increase my goal
Last edited by applesauce; 05-01-2013 at 07:17 AM.
|12-29-2012, 10:43 AM||#33|
Yum yum, gobble it up
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: Kindle Touch, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
50 books and 25,000 pages read
This is my spot
Books read: 15
Pages Read: 6,917
- Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man Who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam by Pope Brock
- Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin
- Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
- Persuasion by Jane Austen
- Crystal Cove by Lisa Kleypas
- The Book of Deacon by Joseph Lallo
- The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd
- The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian
- Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead
- Scarlet by Stephen R. Lawhead
- Tuck by Stephen R. Lawhead
- The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan
- Lamb by Christopher Moore
- The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Last edited by VeggieCat; 04-22-2013 at 09:10 PM.
|12-29-2012, 06:30 PM||#34|
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Device: Libre Pro; Nook Glowlight
To keep track of how many books I read in a year.
I'm in - just to keep track of how many books I read in a year. I've never done that!
January: 14 books; 2 short stories; total pages 4606
February: 15 books; 2 short stories; total pages 4438
March: 20 books; total pages 4365
April: 18 books; 6 short stories; total pages 5874
Last edited by Anabana; 05-10-2013 at 07:36 PM.
|12-30-2012, 04:23 PM||#35|
Join Date: Dec 2012
Device: Kindle 4 NT
To read a little on my Kindle every day.
My first goal is to read a little on my Kindle every day, even if I'm tired.
I also need to tackle a few college reading assignments.
- Read The Language Hacking Guide (30,000 words, a how-to type book).
- Started reading a book about phonetics
Read 3 books by Dan Harrington. Volume I, II and III of his series on playing sit-and-go/tourney poker.
Read one book by Phil Hellmuth, Play Poker Like the Pros.
I also read Super System by Doyle Bruson, and two other books about poker, the titles of which I've forgotten. One of them was by Roy Rounder.
I read How to Take the Grrr Out of Anger, and quickly skimmed through a couple of chapters of Canning and Preserving for Dummies.
That's 9 books total, with the one about phonetics. I'm not counting the "for Dummies" book.
Comics/ Manga: (in French)
Fairy Tail Volumes 1, 2, and 3.
I've been re-reading the first volumes of Fairy Tail. I'll probably be reading One Piece next.
= 12 books so far.
I'm doing good.
Last edited by Beginner-reader; 01-28-2013 at 12:42 PM.
|12-30-2012, 09:43 PM||#36|
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony T1, Sony PRS-350, Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD
Read 100 Books in 2013
Once again, I'm going to try for a 100 books in 2013. I only managed 81 in 2012, so I'm going to put the pedal to the metal this year, increase my reading time and decrease my gaming time.
I'm not using any rating system. If I finish a book and list it here, then I found it enjoyable - if not, I'll mention it. If the book is part of a series, I'll list its name and volume number. My list will probably be heavy with urban fantasy, paranormal romance, science fiction, and mystery/suspense books because that's what I'm into at the present time.
(Note: All audiobooks listened-to are unabridged versions.)
(Note: (SS) = short stories tied to a particular series not formally published as a collection)
001. Malliet, G. M. - Death of a Cozy Writer (St. Just series #1)
002. Doyle, Debra & MacDonald, James D. - The Price of the Stars (MageWorlds series #1)
003. Doyle, Debra & MacDonald, James D. - Starpilot's Grave (MW #2)
004. Doyle, Debra & MacDonald, James D. - By Honor Betray'd (MW #3)
005. Hartness, John G. - Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles series #1)
006. Hartness, John G. - Back in Black (BKC #2)
007. Trow, M. J. - Dark Entry (Kit Marlowe series #1)
008. Trow, M. J. - Silent Court (KM #2)
009. Harkness, Deborah - Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy series #2) (audiobook)
010. Hartness, John G. - Knight Moves (BKC #3)
011. Estep, Jennifer - Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin series #1) (re-read)
012. Estep, Jennifer - Web of Lies (EA #2) (re-read)
013. Estep, Jennifer - Venom (EA #3) (re-read)
014. Estep, Jennifer - Tangled Threads (EA #4) (re-read0
015. Estep, Jennifer - Spider's Revenge (EA #5)
016. Estep, Jennifer - (SS): Poison, Spider's Bargain, Wasted, Web of Deceit, Web of Death (EA)
017. Estep, Jennifer - By A Thread (EA #6)
018. Estep, Jennifer - Widow's Web (EA #7)
019. Hearne, Kevin - Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles #4)
020. Hearne, Kevin - Trapped (IDC #5)
021. Hearne, Kevin - Two Ravens and One Crow (IDC #4.5) (novella)
022. Murphy, C. E. - Spirit Dances (The Walker Papers #6)
023. Murphy, C. E. - Raven Calls (TWP#7)
024. Murphy, C. E. - Mountain Echoes (TWP #8)
025. Franklin, Ariana - Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death #1)
026. Franklin, Ariana - The Serpent's Tale (MotAoD #2)
027. Franklin, Ariana - Grave Goods (MotAoD #3)
028. Franklin, Ariana - A Murderous Procession (MotAoD #4)
029. Anderson, Richard - Bespoke: Savile Road Ripped and Smoothed (non-fiction)
030. America's Test Kitchen - Pressure Cooker Perfection (non-fiction)
031. Rock, Judith - The Rhetoric of Death (Charles du Luc series #1)
032. Rock, Judith - The Eloquence of Blood (CdL #2)
033. Rock, Judith - Pernelle's Escape (CdL #2.5)(novella)
034. Rock, Judith - A Plague of Lies (CdL #3)
035. Stabenow, Dana - Second Star (Star Svensdottor series #1)
036. Stabenow, Dana - A Handful of Stars (SS #2)
037. Stabenow, Dana - Red Planet Run (SS #3)
038. Briggs, Patricia - Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega series #1) (re-read0
039. Briggs, Patricia - Hunting Ground (A&O #2) (re-read)
040. Briggs, Patricia - Fair Game (A&O #3)
041. Briggs, Patricia - River Marked (Mercy Thomson series #6) (re-read)
042. Briggs, Patricia - Frost Burned (MT #7)
043. Hanover, M.L.N. - Unclean Spirits (Black Sun's Daughter series #1)
044. Hanover, M.L.N. - Darker Angels (BSD #2)
045. Hanover, M.L.N. - Vicious Grace (BSD #3)
046. Hanover, M.L.N. - Killing Rites (BSD #4)
047. Bornikova, Phillipa - This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery series #1)
Last edited by Xanthe; 05-03-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: To add books
|12-31-2012, 08:06 AM||#37|
Join Date: Jul 2011
HomeInMyShoes Challenge List: A Year in the Life
This year's challenge is to read a book published in every year I've been on this planet. Wish me luck.
GoodReads Discussion on my challenge for this year. Pop by and give me a recommendation for an incomplete year. 2013 appreciated greatly.
The list of books read
Abbreviation and Rating Guide
Reading Lists: 2011 | 2012 | 2013 “Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.” - Diane Duane
Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 05-06-2013 at 11:23 AM.
|12-31-2012, 08:38 AM||#38|
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Idaho
Device: Paperwhite, K-Touch, Nook GL, Sony T1, Libre Pro, K-Fire
2013 Reading Goals: To read 120 books, including all MR Book Club selections.
Books Read: 48
Pages Read: 15,459 (per book average: 322 pages)
1. Keep The Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell [2 Jan] 221 pp.
2. The Narrows - Michael Connelly [3 Jan] 405 pp.
3. Persuasion - Jane Austen [4 Jan] 249 pp.
4. Dance Hall of the Dead - Tony Hillerman [5 Jan] 255 pp.
5. These Old Shades - Georgette Heyer [7 Jan] 386 pp.
6. The Water's Edge - Karin Fossum [8 Jan] 235 pp.
7. Presumed Innocent - Scott Turow [9 Jan] 431 pp.*
8. The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck [12 Jan] 357 pp.*
9. The Closers - Michael Connelly [14 Jan] 416 pp.
10. A Fatal Winter by G.M. Malliet [19 Jan] 383 pp.
11. Noble Satyr - Lucinda Brant [22 Jan] 313 pp.
12. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln - Doris Kearns Goodwin [27 Jan] 944 pp.*
13. Under The Dome - Stephen King [29 Jan] 897 pp.
14. Mapp and Lucia - E.F. Benson [31 Jan] 242 pp.*
15. The Deep Blue Good-By - John D. MacDonald [1 Feb] 144 pp.
16. The Lincoln Lawyer - Michael Connelly [2 Feb] 350 pp.*
17. Tokyo Doll - John McPartland [4 Feb] 145 pp.
18. The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith [7 Feb] 249 pp.
19. Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal - Grace Burrowes [8 Feb] 253pp.
20. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute [9 Feb] 261 pp.
21. The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh [10 Feb] 308 pp.
22. Echo Park - Michael Connelly [12 Feb] 280 pp.*
23. One For The Money - Janet Evanovich [14 Feb] 288 pp.
24. A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick [18 Feb] 418 pp.
25. Rajmund - D.B. Reynolds [19 Feb] 321 pp.
26. Very Good, Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse [20 Feb] 304 pp.*
27. Driving Mr. Dead - Molly Harper [21 Feb] 160 pp.
28. Listening Woman - Tony Hillerman [22 Feb] 205 pp.
29. In the Time of Butterflies - Julia Alvarez [23 Feb] 303pp.
30. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand- Helen Simonson [24 Feb] 386 pp.*
31. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows - Alan Bradley [25 Feb] 275pp.
32. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce [2 March] 297 pp.
33. The Overlook - Michael Connelly [3 March] 160pp.
34. Lucia's Progress - E.F. Benson [6 March] 241 pp.*
35. The Brass Verdict - Michael Connelly [8 March] 432 pp.*
36. Claire Dewitt and the City of the Dead - Sara Gran [9 March] 273 pp.*
37. Nine Dragons - Michael Connelly [12 March] 385 pp.
38. The Lady in the Lake - Raymond Chandler [15 March] 272 pp.
39. The Reversal - Michael Connelly [18 March] 389 pp.
40. The Inimitable Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse [20 March] 225 pp.*
41. Lamb - Christopher Moore [21 March] 444 pp.
42. Before I Go To Sleep - S.J. Watson [23 March] 368 pp.
43. Dogging Steinbeck - Bill Steigerwald [8 Apr] 280 pp.
44. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan [14 Apr] 288 pp.
45. The Drop - Michael Connelly [17 Apr] 388 pp.
46. A Drop of the Hard Stuff - Lawrence Block [20 Apr] 319 pp.
47. Trouble for Lucia - E.F. Benson [23 Apr] 231 pp.
48. Chess Story - Stefan Zweig [24 Apr] 83 pp.
Last edited by BelleZora; 04-25-2013 at 11:02 AM.
|12-31-2012, 11:21 AM||#39|
Join Date: Mar 2012
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
To read 20,000 pages and 52 books
Okay, so I have never done a reading challenge before, so please bear with me if I do anything wrong!
I tend to read a lot of longer books, so I think it would be better to set myself a "pages read" goal instead of a number of books. I'm going to go with 20,000 pages, which isn't too many (I hope!), and therefore hopefully achievable! I don't like to fail at things, so I want to manage the goal! I'd like to read, on average, a book a week, but this would be a bonus, as some books I have read recently have taken a fair while longer than a week!
My motivation to read (or do anything!) varies wildly from day-to-day, so hopefully this challenge will keep me on track, and doing something useful, instead of spending all my time doing nothing!
To sum up:
Primary goal: read a total of 20,000 pages
Secondary goal: read 52 books
Total Pages: 2452
Total Books: 8
Last edited by bethany7; 01-30-2013 at 01:29 PM.
|12-31-2012, 12:32 PM||#40|
Join Date: Aug 2012
Device: kobo touch
To read 75 books including 50 poetry books and 20 plays
Staking out my spot
Since I read primarily fiction and non-fiction this past year, I'm going to try to focus more on poetry and drama this year.
75 books total.
50 books of poetry.
Also, if time, read more of the original Nancy Drew books.
1. Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness. Susannah Cahalan.
2. Gone Girl. Gillian Flynn.
3. The Orchid Thief. Susan Orlean.
4. Skinny. Ibi Kaslik.
I need to read more than three or four poems from a book before placing it aside. hmmm.
Last edited by dakini; 01-06-2013 at 04:57 PM.
|01-01-2013, 04:28 AM||#41|
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Device: Sony PRS-300/650/T1, iPad2, K3(wife's)
I will attempt 100 this year.
001 - Destroyermen 06 - Firestorm - Taylor Anderson
002 - Kris Longknife 10 - Furious - Mike Shepherd
003 - Destroyermen 07 - Iron Grey Sea - Taylor Anderson
004 - Captain Algernon Fisk 03 - Captain Algernon Fisk and the Incident at Pluto - James Baldini
005 - First Admiral 02 - The Burning Sun - William Benning
006 - Artemis Files 00 - Lexington - Bradley Warnes
007 - Starforce 01 - Swarm - BV Larson
008 - Starforce 02 - Extinction - BV Larson
009 - Starforce 03 - Rebellion - BV Larson
010 - Exodus 01 - Exodus Of The Phoenix - Robert Stadnik
011 - Exodus 02 - Phoenix Among The Stars - Robert Stadnik
012 - Exodus 03 - Phoenix in Chaos - Robert Stadnik
013 - Exodus 04 - Fury Of The Phoenix - Robert Stadnik
Last edited by sabredog; 01-30-2013 at 09:37 PM.
|01-01-2013, 05:15 AM||#42|
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch
Prime Directive: Reduce TBR. Which is to say, read more than I buy.
(Changed to include freebies in the TBR, making the figures much worse.)
Added to TBR: 70 (37 paid)
Otherwise removed: 2
Net reduction: -50
1. Finish the Hugo Winners (9 items, + 1 to come in 2013)
2. Women of Genre Fiction challenge at Worlds Without End (12 books)
3. BSFA award winners (at least 1). This will replace the Hugo winners as my next target list. At the start of 2013 I have 23 to read, but I don't expect to read them all this year.
4. The ABC Murders (at least 8). Alphabetical challenge based on detective names. My target for 2013 is 8 of the 26, aiming for three years for the whole list.
Book title: read,own,don't own
(p) paperback, (h) hardback, (k) kindle, (e) epub, (i) ibook/pdf, (a) audio
Last edited by DrNefario; Today at 10:01 AM.
|01-01-2013, 08:56 AM||#43|
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Windsor, Nova Scotia
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc
To read 50 books.
Well I wanted to read 50 books in 2012 but fell short at 43. I'm going to aim for 50 again this year and see how it goes.
1. A Gentle Axe - R. N. Morris
2. Except the Dying - Maureen Jennings
3. The Inner Circle - Brad Meltzer
4. Medicus - Ruth Downie
5. The Skin Map - Stephen R. Lawhead
6. The Red Moth - Sam Eastland
7. Nightmare House - Douglas Clegg
8. Plum Island - Nelson DeMille
9. The Necropolis Railway - Andrew Martin
10. Sovereign - C. J. Sansom
11. The Blackpool Highflyer - Andrew Martin
12. Hunt the Wolf - Don Mann
13. The Tinsmith - Tim Bowling
14. The Revisionists - Thomas Mullen
15. Anno Dracula - Kim Newman
16. Serpent - Clive Cussler with Paul Kemprecos in progress
Last edited by RareBird; 05-15-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Updated list
|01-01-2013, 01:20 PM||#44|
Join Date: Jan 2011
Device: Sony PRS-650
To read 50 books, with a page total of at least 15,000
My goal for 2012 was 50, but I managed only 48 with not quite 15,000 pages.
My goal for 2013 will again by 50 books, with a page total of at least 15,000.
Last edited by pdurrant; 01-02-2013 at 03:31 AM.
|01-01-2013, 11:08 PM||#45|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kent, WA
Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
To read 50 books.
A book a week seems good, so 52 books.
1. Deep Black (Jeff Siadek)
2. Light Raid (Connie Willis, Cynthia Felice)
3. Water Witch (Connie Willis, Cynthia Felice)
4. Zombie Fallout 6 (Mark Tufo)
5. Ruins (Orson Scott Card)
6. Earthbound (Joe Haldeman)
7. I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This! (Bob Newhart)
8. Rosemary and Rue (Seanan McGuire)
9. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Robert A. Heinlein)
10. Hyperion (Dan Simmons)
Last edited by Ginwen; 03-01-2013 at 02:26 AM.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|The 2012 Annual Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread!||Nyssa||Reading Recommendations||779||01-03-2013 08:40 PM|
|My 2013 Challenge||stop__dreaming||Reading Recommendations||35||11-27-2012 10:38 PM|
|The 2012 Annual Reading Challenge – List Thread!||Nyssa||Reading Recommendations||79||09-25-2012 09:52 PM|
|Annual reading chalenge resource||jbcohen||Reading Recommendations||4||03-02-2012 07:22 AM|
|Unutterably Silly The First Somewhat Annual Mobile Read Holiday Letter Thread||pshrynk||Lounge||3||12-04-2008 07:54 PM|