|12-29-2012, 07:14 AM||#31|
hello from the other side
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: somewhere beyond the sea
Device: ipad mini & sony 950
Goal: Read 4,000 pages in the second half of 2013 including Ulysses by James Joyce
Progress- 5955/4000 pages, 1/1 Ulysses, completed!
Beginning with the most recent,
Goal: Read 4,000 pages in the first half of 2013
Progress- 4298/4000 pages, completed!
Beginning with the most recent,
✭✫✫✫✫ - Disliked
✭✭✫✫✫ - So-so
✭✭✭✫✫ - Good
✭✭✭✭✫ - Excellent
✭✭✭✭✭ - Favourite
Last edited by sun surfer; 12-31-2013 at 02:08 PM.
|12-29-2012, 07:17 AM||#32|
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Perth Western Australia
Device: kindle paperwhite
So far I have set my goal at 50 books. I think I will do that with ease as I have actually found a pile of books I want to read under 350 pages.
I also want to break my habit of once I start a book I must finish it. It just slows me down as I hate picking up a book I am not enjoying.
To try at least one other fantasy serious other than GRMM
hmmmm I think I will add to this
already made a dent in my pile 3 books down in 2 days.
January 10th and 10 books down
January sees 21 books read, far more than I expected but most where around 350 pages so small books. I will see how I go next month and may revise my goal.
February saw only 8 books down bringing the years total to 29. Bit of illness and lot going on put me well behind. I hope to do better next month
March what can I say, I suck, way to many distractions only 7 books readmaking a total of 36 books for the year
So it is bye bye April with only 6 books read, bringing the years total to 42. I may have to increase my goal
A really good month was May, 12 books down and a total of 54 for the year
June was slow for reading the granny flat build was coming to an end and tradies were everywhere. So only 6 books for the month bringing it to 60 books for the year. I also found a new author that I am loving.
July Has seen 11 books read, A great month, will be slow for August I fear. So I have now read 71 books.
August brings the total to 78 books, 7 books read. I had to raise my goal to 100 books. I am so excited at getting that high
12 books read for September, a good month and a new series of books. So 90 books now read.
Wow October gone with 7 books read. I am pleased with that as I had bearly a week were I could not read. My goal is so close i can taste it
November is study week and exams for my twins at uni. To say I did not have 5 minutes to read around this mad house is being kind. I read only 3 books for the entire month. I am excited tho, as I made the 100 book mark. December may see very little read
Last edited by applesauce; 12-14-2013 at 09:38 AM.
|12-29-2012, 11:43 AM||#33|
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7, Kindle Voyage
50 books and 25,000 pages read
Books read: 15
Pages Read: 6,917
- Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man Who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam by Pope Brock
- Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin
- Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
- Persuasion by Jane Austen
- Crystal Cove by Lisa Kleypas
- The Book of Deacon by Joseph Lallo
- The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd
- The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian
- Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead
- Scarlet by Stephen R. Lawhead
- Tuck by Stephen R. Lawhead
- The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan
- Lamb by Christopher Moore
- The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Last edited by VeggieCat; 04-22-2013 at 10:10 PM.
|12-29-2012, 07:30 PM||#34|
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Device: Libre Pro; Nook Glowlight; Galaxy Tab 2
To keep track of how many books I read in a year.
I'm in - just to keep track of how many books I read in a year. I've never done that!
January: 14 books; 2 short stories; total pages 4606
February: 15 books; 2 short stories; total pages 4438
March: 20 books; total pages 4365
April: 18 books; 6 short stories; total pages 5874
May: 15 books; total pages 4883
June: 12 books; total pages 3245
July: 16 books; 10 short stories; total pages 4302
August: 20 books; total pages 5073
September: 21 books; 6 short stories; total pages 5231
October: 26 books; total pages 7032
November: 19 books; 43 short stories; total pages 6822
December: 12 books; 30 short stories; total pages 4422
totals for year: Books 208 Short stories 99 total pages 60293
Last edited by Anabana; 01-05-2014 at 08:30 PM.
|12-30-2012, 05:23 PM||#35|
Join Date: Dec 2012
Device: Kindle 4 NT
To read a little on my Kindle every day.
My first goal is to read a little on my Kindle every day, even if I'm tired.
I also need to tackle a few college reading assignments.
- Read The Language Hacking Guide (30,000 words, a how-to type book).
- Started reading a book about phonetics
Read 3 books by Dan Harrington. Volume I, II and III of his series on playing sit-and-go/tourney poker.
Read one book by Phil Hellmuth, Play Poker Like the Pros.
I also read Super System by Doyle Bruson, and two other books about poker, the titles of which I've forgotten. One of them was by Roy Rounder.
I read How to Take the Grrr Out of Anger, and quickly skimmed through a couple of chapters of Canning and Preserving for Dummies.
That's 9 books total, with the one about phonetics. I'm not counting the "for Dummies" book.
Comics/ Manga: (in French)
Fairy Tail Volumes 1, 2, and 3.
I've been re-reading the first volumes of Fairy Tail. I'll probably be reading One Piece next.
= 12 books so far.
I'm doing good.
Last edited by Beginner-reader; 01-28-2013 at 01:42 PM.
|12-30-2012, 10:43 PM||#36|
Plan B Is Now In Force
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Read 100 Books in 2013
Once again, I'm going to try for a 100 books in 2013. I only managed 81 in 2012, so I'm going to put the pedal to the metal this year, increase my reading time and decrease my gaming time.
I'm not using any rating system. If I finish a book and list it here, then I found it enjoyable - if not, I'll mention it. If the book is part of a series, I'll list its name and volume number. My list will probably be heavy with urban fantasy, paranormal romance, science fiction, and mystery/suspense series books because that's what I'm into at the present time.
(Note: All audiobooks listened-to are unabridged versions.)
(Note: (SS) = short stories tied to a particular series not formally published as a collection)
(Note: I'm counting novellas as books when they are sold individually, ditto the Liaden Universe short story collections that have come out as Kindle books)
001. Malliet, G. M. - Death of a Cozy Writer (St. Just series #1)
002. Doyle, Debra & MacDonald, James D. - The Price of the Stars (MageWorlds series #1)
003. Doyle, Debra & MacDonald, James D. - Starpilot's Grave (MW #2)
004. Doyle, Debra & MacDonald, James D. - By Honor Betray'd (MW #3)
005. Hartness, John G. - Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles series #1)
006. Hartness, John G. - Back in Black (BKC #2)
007. Trow, M. J. - Dark Entry (Kit Marlowe series #1)
008. Trow, M. J. - Silent Court (KM #2)
009. Harkness, Deborah - Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy series #2) (audiobook)
010. Hartness, John G. - Knight Moves (BKC #3)
011. Estep, Jennifer - Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin series #1) (re-read)
012. Estep, Jennifer - Web of Lies (EA #2) (re-read)
013. Estep, Jennifer - Venom (EA #3) (re-read)
014. Estep, Jennifer - Tangled Threads (EA #4) (re-read0
015. Estep, Jennifer - Spider's Revenge (EA #5)
016. Estep, Jennifer - (SS): Poison, Spider's Bargain, Wasted, Web of Deceit, Web of Death (EA)
017. Estep, Jennifer - By A Thread (EA #6)
018. Estep, Jennifer - Widow's Web (EA #7)
019. Hearne, Kevin - Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles #4)
020. Hearne, Kevin - Trapped (IDC #5)
021. Hearne, Kevin - Two Ravens and One Crow (IDC #4.5) (novella)
022. Murphy, C. E. - Spirit Dances (The Walker Papers #6)
023. Murphy, C. E. - Raven Calls (TWP#7)
024. Murphy, C. E. - Mountain Echoes (TWP #8)
025. Franklin, Ariana - Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death #1)
026. Franklin, Ariana - The Serpent's Tale (MotAoD #2)
027. Franklin, Ariana - Grave Goods (MotAoD #3)
028. Franklin, Ariana - A Murderous Procession (MotAoD #4)
029. Anderson, Richard - Bespoke: Savile Road Ripped and Smoothed (non-fiction)
030. America's Test Kitchen - Pressure Cooker Perfection (non-fiction)
031. Rock, Judith - The Rhetoric of Death (Charles du Luc series #1)
032. Rock, Judith - The Eloquence of Blood (CdL #2)
033. Rock, Judith - Pernelle's Escape (CdL #2.5)(novella)
034. Rock, Judith - A Plague of Lies (CdL #3)
035. Stabenow, Dana - Second Star (Star Svensdottor series #1)
036. Stabenow, Dana - A Handful of Stars (SS #2)
037. Stabenow, Dana - Red Planet Run (SS #3)
038. Briggs, Patricia - Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega series #1) (re-read0
039. Briggs, Patricia - Hunting Ground (A&O #2) (re-read)
040. Briggs, Patricia - Fair Game (A&O #3)
041. Briggs, Patricia - River Marked (Mercy Thomson series #6) (re-read)
042. Briggs, Patricia - Frost Burned (MT #7)
043. Hanover, M.L.N. - Unclean Spirits (Black Sun's Daughter series #1)
044. Hanover, M.L.N. - Darker Angels (BSD #2)
045. Hanover, M.L.N. - Vicious Grace (BSD #3)
046. Hanover, M.L.N. - Killing Rites (BSD #4)
047. Bornikova, Phillipa - This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery series #1)
048. Hunt, Stephen - Sliding Void (Sliding Void series #1) (novella)
049. Hunt, Stephen - Transference Station (SV #2) (novella)
050. Hunt, Stephen - Red Sun Bleeding (SV #3) (novella)
051. Hill, Sandra - Kiss of Pride (Deadly Angels series #1)
052. Hill, Sandra - Kiss of Surrender (DA #2)
053. Hill, Sandra - Kiss of Temptation (DA #3)
054. Estep, Jennifer - Deadly Sting (EA #8)
055. Hunter, Faith - Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock #5) (re-read)
056. Lee, Sharon & Miller, Steve - Fledgling (Liaden/Theo Waitley arc #1) (audiobook)
057. Lee, Sharon & Miller, Steve - Saltation (L/TW #2) (audiobook)
058. Lee, Sharon & Miller, Steve - Ghost Ship (L/TW #3) (audiobook)
059. Lee, Sharon & Miller, Steve - Dragon Ship (L/TW #4) (audiobook)
060. Johnson, Jean - A Soldier's Duty (Theirs Not To Reason Why series #1) (re-read)
061. Johnson, Jean - An Officer's Duty (TNTRW #2) (re-read)
062. Jones, Darynda - First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson series #1) (re-read0
063. Jones, Darynda - Second Grave on the Left (CD #2) (re-read)
064. Jones, Darynda - Third Grave Dead Ahead (CD #3)
065. Jones, Darynda - Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (CD #4)
066. Jones, Darynda - Fifth Grave Past the Light (CD #5)
067. Estep, Jennifer - Deadly Sting (EA #8)
068. Amore, Dani - Death By Sarcasm (Mary Cooper series #1)
069. Estep, Jennifer - Heart of Venom (EA #9)
070. Johnson, Jean - Hellfire (TNTRW #3)
071. Bennett, Jenn - Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell series #1) (re-read)
072. Bennett, Jenn - Summoning the Night (AB #2) (re-read)
073. Bennett, Jenn - Leashing the Tempest (AB #2.5) (novella)
074. Bennett, Jenn - Binding the Shadows (AB #3)
075. MacAlister, Katie - Traveller (Time Thief series #1)
076. Viehl, Lynn - Her Ladyship's Curse (Disenchanted & Co. series #1)
077. Owens, Robin D. - Heart Search (Celta's Heartmates series #10)
078. Bornikova, Phillipa - This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery series #1)
079. Viehl, Lynn - Nightbound (Lords of the Darkyn series #10)
080. Scarrow, Alex - The Legend of Ellie Quinn (Ellie Quinn series #1)
081. Scarrow, Alex - The World According to Ellie Quinn (EQ #2)
082. Scarrow, Alex - Beneath the Noon Sky (EQ #3)
083. Westerson, Jeri - Veil of Lies: A Medieval Noir (Crispin Guest series #1)
083. Hanover, M. L. N. - Graveyard Child (BSD#5)
084. Lowell, Nathan - Quarter Share (Tales of the Solar Clipper #1)
085. Lowell, Nathan - Half Share (TSC #2)
086. Lowell, Nathan - Full Share (TSC #3)
087. Lowell, Nathan - Double Share (TSC #4)
088. Lowell, Nathan - Captain's Share (TSC #5)
089. Lowell, Nathan - A Light in the Dark (novella)
090. Doyle, Debra & MacDonald, James - Gathering Flame (MW #4)
091. Doyle, Debra & MacDonald, James - Long Hunt (MW #5)
092. Wells, Jaye - Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane series #1) (re-read)
093. Wells, Jaye - Mage in Black (SK #2) (re-read)
094. Wells, Jaye - Green-Eyed Demon (SK #3)
095. Wells, Jaye - Silver-Tongued Devil (SK #4)
096. James, Allyson - Stormwalker (Stormwalker series #1)
097. Mariani, Scott G. - Uprising (Vampire Federation series #1)
098. James, Allyson - Firewalker (S #2)
099. James, Allyson - Shadow Walker (S #3)
100. James, Allyson - Night Walker (S #4)
101. Weekes, Patrick - The Palace Job
102. Black, J. Carson - The Survivor's Club
103. Brekke, Jørgen - Where Monsters Dwell (Advance Reader's Copy)
104. Lee, Sharon & Miller Steve - Moon's Honor (Liaden Universe Short Stories)
105. Lee, Sharon & Miller, Steve - Misfits (Liaden Universe Short Stories)
106. Bornikova, Phillipa - Box Office Poison (LE #2)
107. Wells, Jaye - Blue-Blooded Vamp (SK #5)
108. Andrews, Ilona - Magic Rises (Kate Daniels series #6)
109. Andrews, Ilona - Curran: Vol. 1 (short story collection)
110. Chance, Karen - Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer series #5)
111. Chance, Karen - Tempt the Stars (CP #6)
112. MacDonald, S. J. - Mission Zero (Fourth Fleet Irregulars series #1)
113. MacDonald, S. J. - Karadon (FFI #2)
114. Hicks, Michael R. - Empire (In Her Name series #1)
Last edited by Xanthe; 12-26-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: To add books
|12-31-2012, 09:06 AM||#37|
missing my cat
Join Date: Jul 2011
HomeInMyShoes Challenge List: A Year in the Life
This year's challenge is to read a book published in every year I've been on this planet. Wish me luck.
GoodReads Discussion on my challenge for this year. Pop by and give me a recommendation for an incomplete year. 2013 appreciated greatly.
The list of books read
Abbreviation and Rating Guide
Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 12-06-2013 at 04:08 PM.
|12-31-2012, 09:38 AM||#38|
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Seattle, USA
Device: Kindle PW, K-Touch, Nook GL, K-Fire, Kobo Aura
2013 Reading Goals: To read 120 books, including all MR Book Club selections.
Books Read: 125
Pages Read: 42635 (per book average: 341 pages)
1. Keep The Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell [2 Jan] 221 p.
2. The Narrows - Michael Connelly [3 Jan] 405 p.
3. Persuasion - Jane Austen [4 Jan] 249 p.
4. Dance Hall of the Dead - Tony Hillerman [5 Jan] 255 p.
5. These Old Shades - Georgette Heyer [7 Jan] 386 p.
6. The Water's Edge - Karin Fossum [8 Jan] 235 p.
7. Presumed Innocent - Scott Turow [9 Jan] 431 p.*
8. The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck [12 Jan] 357 p.*
9. The Closers - Michael Connelly [14 Jan] 416 p.
10. A Fatal Winter by G.M. Malliet [19 Jan] 383 p.
11. Noble Satyr - Lucinda Brant [22 Jan] 313 p.
12. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln - Doris Kearns Goodwin [27 Jan] 944 p.*
13. Under The Dome - Stephen King [29 Jan] 897 p.
14. Mapp and Lucia - E.F. Benson [31 Jan] 242 p.*
15. The Deep Blue Good-By - John D. MacDonald [1 Feb] 144 p.
16. The Lincoln Lawyer - Michael Connelly [2 Feb] 350 p.*
17. Tokyo Doll - John McPartland [4 Feb] 145 p. *
18. The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith [7 Feb] 249 p.
19. Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal - Grace Burrowes [8 Feb] 253 p.
20. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute [9 Feb] 261 p.
21. The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh [10 Feb] 308 p.
22. Echo Park - Michael Connelly [12 Feb] 280 p.*
23. One For The Money - Janet Evanovich [14 Feb] 288 p.
24. A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick [18 Feb] 418 p.
25. Rajmund - D.B. Reynolds [19 Feb] 321 p.
26. Very Good, Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse [20 Feb] 304 p.*
27. Driving Mr. Dead - Molly Harper [21 Feb] 160 p.
28. Listening Woman - Tony Hillerman [22 Feb] 205 p.
29. In the Time of Butterflies - Julia Alvarez [23 Feb] 303 p.
30. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand- Helen Simonson [24 Feb] 386 pp.*
31. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows - Alan Bradley [25 Feb] 275 p.
32. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce [2 March] 297 p.
33. The Overlook - Michael Connelly [3 March] 160 p.
34. Lucia's Progress - E.F. Benson [6 March] 241 p.*
35. The Brass Verdict - Michael Connelly [8 March] 432 p.*
36. Claire Dewitt and the City of the Dead - Sara Gran [9 March] 273 p.*
37. Nine Dragons - Michael Connelly [12 March] 385 p.
38. The Lady in the Lake - Raymond Chandler [15 March] 272 p.
39. The Reversal - Michael Connelly [18 March] 389 p.
40. The Inimitable Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse [20 March] 225 p.*
41. Lamb - Christopher Moore [21 March] 444 pp.
42. Before I Go To Sleep - S.J. Watson [23 March] 368 p.
43. Dogging Steinbeck - Bill Steigerwald [8 Apr] 280 p.
44. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan [14 Apr] 288 p.
45. The Drop - Michael Connelly [17 Apr] 388 p.
46. A Drop of the Hard Stuff - Lawrence Block [20 Apr] 319 p.
47. Trouble for Lucia - E.F. Benson [23 Apr] 231 p.
48. Chess Story - Stefan Zweig [24 Apr] 83 p.
49. Bad Monkey - Carl Hiaasen [23 June] 337 p.
50. The Fifth Witness - Michael Connelly [26 June] 421 p.
51. The Black Box - Michael Connelly [4 July] 403 p.
52. The Caller - Karin Fossum [6 July] 256 p.
53. Angle of Investigation - Michael Connelly [7 July] 92 p.
54. The Two Minute Rule - Robert Crais [8 July] 325 p.
55. Bad Intentions - Karin Fossum [10 July] 192 p.
56. The Conquest of the Incas - John Hemming [17 July] 624 p.
57. Fanny and Stella - Neil McKenna [19 July] 413 p.
58. Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell [20 July] 288 p.
59. Bust - Ken Bruen & Jason Starr [21 July] 260 p.
60. The Little Sister - Raymond Chandler [22 July] 256 p.
61. The Walk - Richard Paul Evans [23 July] 289 p.
62. The Dwelling Place - Catherine Cookson [24 July] 402 p.
63. Speaking from Among the Bones - Alan Bradley [25 July] 378 p.
64. Light of the World - James Lee Burke [29 July] 560 p.
65. Doomsday Book - Connie Willis [2 Aug] 578 p. *
66. Against the Tide - Elizabeth Camden [3 Aug] 362 p.
67. The Princes of Ireland - Edward Rutherford [6 Aug] 762 p.
68. The Light Between Oceans - M.L. Stedman [7 Aug] 356 p.
69. Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome [8 Aug] 176 p.
70. Cover Her Face - P.D. James [11 Aug] 250 p.
71. A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving [15 Aug] 656 p.*
72. The Shining - Stephen King [18 Aug] 466 p.
73. Sold - Patricia McCormick [19 Aug] 263 p.
74. To Say Nothing of the Dog - Connie Willis [22 Aug] 493 p. *
75. Thus Was Adonis Murdered - Sarah Caudwell [24 Aug] 324 p. *
76. And There Were None - Agatha Christie [25 Aug] 247 p.
77. Fantasy Lover - Sherrilyn Kenyon [26 Aug] 337 p.
78. The Moving Finger (Miss Marple #4) - Agatha Christie [26 Aug] 240 p.
79. Montana 1948 - Larry Watson [27 Aug] 186 p. *
80. The Rebels of Ireland - Edward Rutherford [30 Aug] 896 p. *
81. Brown's Requiem - James Ellroy [31 Aug] 256 p.
82. Purge - Sofi Oksanen [1 Sept] 400 p. *
83. Indecent Exposure - Tom Sharpe [2 Sept] 353 p. *
84. They Do It With Mirrors (Miss Marple #5) - Agatha Christie [3 Sept] 258 p.
85. Lady Chatterley's Lover - D.H. Lawrence [5 Sept] 327 p.
86. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith/J.K. Rowling [8 Sept] 465 p. *
87. Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself - Harriet Jacobs [10 Sept] 258 p.
88. The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie [13 Sept] 578 p.
89. Queen Victoria - Lytton Strachey [14 Sept] 255 p.
90. No Orchids for Miss Blandish - James Hadley Chase [15 Sept] 188 p.
91. Open Season - C.J. Box [16 Sept] 316 p. *
92. A Traveller in Time - Alison Uttley [17 Sept] 336 p.
93. Ireland - Frank Delaney [21 Sept] 576 p. *
94. The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie [23 Sept] 208 p.
95. Doctor Sleep - Stephen King [27 Sept] 531 p. *
96. Cockfighter - Charles Willeford [1 Oct] 200 p.
97. The Orphan Master's Son - Adam Johnson [6 Oct] 443 p. *
98. TransAtlantic - Colum McCann [7 Oct] 304 p. *
99. The Secret River - Kate Grenville [9 Oct] 334 p.
100. The Shortest Way to Hades - Sarah Caudwell [13 Oct] 195 p.
101. The Curse of Capistrano - The Mark of Zorro - Johnston McCulley [15 Oct] 288 p.
102. The Misremembered Man - Christina McKenna [17 Oct] 307 p.
103. Havana Blue - Leonardo Padura Fuentes [22 Oct] 244 p.
104. Kindred - Octavia Butler [24 Oct] 264 p.
105. Wilt - Tom Sharpe [27 Oct] 336 p.
106. Savage Run - C.J. Box [28 Oct] 304 p.
107. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas [3 Nov] 1276 p.*
108. A Murder is Announced - Agatha Christie [4 Nov] 245 p.
109. Miss Buncle's Book - D.E. Stevenson [5 Nov] 299 p.
110. Disappeared - Anthony Quinn [6 Nov] 252 p.
111. Scaramouche - Rafael Sabatini [7 Nov] 384 p.*
112. Sycamore Row -John Grisham [9 Nov] 447 p.*
113. Candide - Voltaire [10 Nov] 114 p.
114. The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection - Alexander McCall Smith [11 Nov] 257 p.
115. The Mysterious Stranger - Mark Twain [20 Nov] 120 p.
116. Plum Lucky - Janet Evanovich [22 Nov] 166 p.
117. A Tale of Love and Darkness - Amos Oz [25 Nov] 560 p.
118. Gently does It - Alan Hunter [2 Dec] 250 p.
119. The Gods of Guilt - Michael Connelly [6 Dec] 400 p. *
120. Inferno - Dan Brown [9 Dec] 446p.
121. The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman [10 Dec] 181 p.
122. Dubliners - James Joyce [13 Dec] 276 p.
123. Las Vegas: The Great American Playground [22 Dec] 160 p.
124. James Joyce Revisited - Richard F. Peterson [24 Dec] 131 p.
125. The Best of Frank O'Connor - Frank O'Connor [25 Dec] 712 p.**
Last edited by BelleZora; 12-25-2013 at 05:36 PM.
|12-31-2012, 12:21 PM||#39|
Join Date: Mar 2012
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
To read 20,000 pages and 52 books
Okay, so I have never done a reading challenge before, so please bear with me if I do anything wrong!
I tend to read a lot of longer books, so I think it would be better to set myself a "pages read" goal instead of a number of books. I'm going to go with 20,000 pages, which isn't too many (I hope!), and therefore hopefully achievable! I don't like to fail at things, so I want to manage the goal! I'd like to read, on average, a book a week, but this would be a bonus, as some books I have read recently have taken a fair while longer than a week!
My motivation to read (or do anything!) varies wildly from day-to-day, so hopefully this challenge will keep me on track, and doing something useful, instead of spending all my time doing nothing!
To sum up:
Primary goal: read a total of 20,000 pages
Secondary goal: read 52 books
Total Pages: 2452
Total Books: 8
Last edited by bethany7; 01-30-2013 at 02:29 PM.
|12-31-2012, 01:32 PM||#40|
Join Date: Aug 2012
Device: kobo glo
To read 75 books including 50 poetry books and 20 plays
Staking out my spot
Since I read primarily fiction and non-fiction this past year, I'm going to try to focus more on poetry and drama this year.
75 books total.
50 books of poetry.
Also, if time, read more of the original Nancy Drew books.
1. Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness. Susannah Cahalan.
2. Gone Girl. Gillian Flynn.
3. The Orchid Thief. Susan Orlean.
4. Skinny. Ibi Kaslik.
I need to read more than three or four poems from a book before placing it aside. hmmm.
Last edited by dakini; 01-06-2013 at 05:57 PM.
|01-01-2013, 05:28 AM||#41|
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I will attempt 100 this year.
001 - Destroyermen 06 - Firestorm - Taylor Anderson
002 - Kris Longknife 10 - Furious - Mike Shepherd
003 - Destroyermen 07 - Iron Grey Sea - Taylor Anderson
004 - Captain Algernon Fisk 03 - Captain Algernon Fisk and the Incident at Pluto - James Baldini
005 - First Admiral 02 - The Burning Sun - William Benning
006 - Artemis Files 00 - Lexington - Bradley Warnes
007 - Starforce 01 - Swarm - BV Larson
008 - Starforce 02 - Extinction - BV Larson
009 - Starforce 03 - Rebellion - BV Larson
010 - Exodus 01 - Exodus Of The Phoenix - Robert Stadnik
011 - Exodus 02 - Phoenix Among The Stars - Robert Stadnik
012 - Exodus 03 - Phoenix in Chaos - Robert Stadnik
013 - Exodus 04 - Fury Of The Phoenix - Robert Stadnik
Last edited by sabredog; 01-30-2013 at 10:37 PM.
|01-01-2013, 06:15 AM||#42|
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Prime Directive: Reduce TBR. Which is to say, read more than I buy.
(Changed to include freebies in the TBR, making the figures much worse.)
Added to TBR: 254 (191 paid)
Otherwise removed: 38
Net reduction: -141
1. Mage-Guard of Hamor - L E Modesitt, Jr (k)
2. The Murder on the Links - Agatha Christie (p)
3. Hunting Party - Elizabeth Moon (e)
4. Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A Heinlein (p)
5. The Adamantine Palace - Stephen Deas (k)
6. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute (h)
7. The Sparrow - Mary Doria Russell (p)
8. Kushiel's Dart - Jacqueline Carey (p)
9. Replay: The History of Video Games - Tristan Donovan (p)
10. Foundation's Edge - Isaac Asimov (p)
11. The Sacred Art of Stealing - Christopher Brookmyre (p)
12. Hominids - Robert J Sawyer (p)
13. A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula Le Guin (p)
14. Beneath Ceaseless Skies #43 - Saladin Ahmed and Matthew Bey (k)
15. Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood (h)
16. Speaker for the Dead - Orson Scott Card (k)
17. Double Star - Robert A Heinlein (p)
18. Grass - Sherri S Tepper (k)
19. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie (h)
20. Rainbows End - Vernor Vinge (p)
21. The Big Four - Agatha Christie (p)
22. A Cold Day for Murder - Dana Stabenow (k)
23. Spin - Robert Charles Wilson (p)
24. Redemption in Indigo - Karen Lord (e)
25. Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang - Kate Wilhelm (p)
26. The Man Who Went up in Smoke - Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö (p)
27. Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny (p)
28. The Bone Collector - Jeffery Deaver (p)
29. Darknesses - L E Modesitt, Jr (p)
30. Mono no Aware (short) - Ken Liu (e)
31. Immersion (short) - Aliette de Bodard (e)
32. Mantis Wives (short) - Kij Johnson (e)
33. The Emperor's Soul (novella) - Brandon Sanderson (e)
34. After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall - Nancy Kress (e)
35. Heritage of Flight - Susan Shwartz (k)
36. The Mystery of the Blue Train - Agatha Christie (p)
37. The Stars Do Not Lie (novella) - Jay Lake (e)
38. The Man in the Brown Suit - Agatha Christie (p)
39. On a Red Station, Drifting (novella) - Aliette de Bodard (e)
40. Rat-Catcher (short) - Seanan McGuire (e)
41. The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi (short) - Pat Cadigan (e)
42. The Boy Who Cast No Shadow (short) - Thomas Olde Heuvelt (e)
43. Fade to White (short) - Catherynne M Valente (e)
44. In Sea-Salt Tears (short) - Seanan McGuire (e)
45. Wool 2: Proper Gauge - Hugh Howey (k)
46. Jack Glass - Adam Roberts (h)
47. The Sword in the Stone - T H White (k)
48. Gallow: The Crimson Shield - Nathan Hawke (p)
49. My Booky Wook - Russell Brand (p)
50. The Bohr Maker - Linda Nagata (e)
51. The First Witch of Damansara (short) - Zen Cho (k)
52. The Secret of Chimneys - Agatha Christie (h)
53. Redshirts - John Scalzi (e)
54. It's Behind You: The Making of a Computer Game - Bob Pape (i)
55. Bloody Murder - Julian Symons (p)
56. Boneshaker - Cherie Priest (e)
57. A is for Alibi - Sue Grafton (k)
58. China Mountain Zhang - Maureen F McHugh (e)
59. Traitors' Gate - Kate Elliott (p)
60. Heat Wave - Richard Castle (k)
61. New Orleans Mourning - Julie Smith (k)
62. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon (p)
63. Tea with the Black Dragon - R A MacAvoy (k)
64. The Hollow Man - John Dickson Carr (p)
65. Red Country - Joe Abercrombie (k)
66. Sleepyhead - Mark Billingham (p)
67. The System of the World - Neal Stephenson (p)
68. London Particular - Christianna Brand (p)
69. Bounce: The Myth of Talent - Matthew Syed (k)
70. Hooves and the Hovel of Abdel Jameela (short) - Saladin Ahmed (k)
71. Doctor Diablo Goes Through the Motions (short) - Saladin Ahmed (k)
72. The Fathful Soldier, Prompted (short) - Saladin Ahmed (k)
73. Engraved on the Eye - Saladin Ahmed (k)
74. Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie (k)
75. 起狮，行礼 (Rising Lion–The Lion Bows) (short) - Zen Cho (k)
1. Finish the Hugo Winners (9 items, + 1 to come in 2013) COMPLETE
2. Women of Genre Fiction challenge at Worlds Without End (12 books) COMPLETE
3. BSFA award winners (at least 1). This will replace the Hugo winners as my next target list. At the start of 2013 I have 23 to read, but I don't expect to read them all this year. TARGET REACHED
4. The ABC Murders (at least 8). Alphabetical challenge based on detective names. My target for 2013 is 8 of the 26, aiming for three years for the whole list. TARGET REACHED
Book title: read,own,don't own
(p) paperback, (h) hardback, (k) kindle, (e) epub, (i) ibook/pdf, (a) audio
Last edited by DrNefario; 12-30-2013 at 11:19 AM.
|01-01-2013, 09:56 AM||#43|
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Windsor, Nova Scotia
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc
To read 50 books.
Well I wanted to read 50 books in 2012 but fell short at 43. I'm going to aim for 50 again this year and see how it goes.
1. A Gentle Axe - R. N. Morris
2. Except the Dying - Maureen Jennings
3. The Inner Circle - Brad Meltzer
4. Medicus - Ruth Downie
5. The Skin Map - Stephen R. Lawhead
6. The Red Moth - Sam Eastland
7. Nightmare House - Douglas Clegg
8. Plum Island - Nelson DeMille
9. The Necropolis Railway - Andrew Martin
10. Sovereign - C. J. Sansom
11. The Blackpool Highflyer - Andrew Martin
12. Hunt the Wolf - Don Mann
13. The Tinsmith - Tim Bowling
14. The Revisionists - Thomas Mullen
15. Anno Dracula - Kim Newman
16. Serpent - Clive Cussler with Paul Kemprecos
17. The Fifth Assassin - Brad Meltzer
18. Heart-Shaped Box - Joe Hill
19. The Lost Luggage Porter - Andrew Martin
20. Death Warmed Over - Kevin J. Anderson
21. Murder at Deviation Junction - Andrew Martin
22. Lamb - Christopher Moore
23. The End of the Line - Stephen Legault
24. Blue Gold - Clive Cussler with Paul Kemprecos
25. The Bloody Red Baron - Kim Newman
26. Death on a Branch Line - Andrew Martin
27. Not Dead Enough - Peter James
28. The Last Train To Scarborough - Andrew Martin
29. One Rough Man - Brad Taylor
30. Embedded - Dan Abnett in progress
Last edited by RareBird; 09-24-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Updated list
|01-01-2013, 02:20 PM||#44|
Join Date: Jan 2011
Device: Sony PRS-650
To read 50 books, with a page total of at least 15,000
My goal for 2012 was 50, but I managed only 48 with not quite 15,000 pages.
My goal for 2013 will again by 50 books, with a page total of at least 15,000.
Last edited by pdurrant; 01-02-2013 at 04:31 AM.
|01-02-2013, 12:08 AM||#45|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kent, WA
Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
To read 50 books.
A book a week seems good, so 52 books. A few of these are pretty short, but luckily I made it well past 52 so I don't feel too bad about including those.
1. Deep Black (Jeff Siadek)
2. Light Raid (Connie Willis, Cynthia Felice)
3. Water Witch (Connie Willis, Cynthia Felice)
4. Zombie Fallout 6 (Mark Tufo)
5. Ruins (Orson Scott Card)
6. Earthbound (Joe Haldeman)
7. I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This! (Bob Newhart)
8. Rosemary and Rue (Seanan McGuire)
9. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Robert A. Heinlein)
10. Hyperion (Dan Simmons)
11. The Fall of Hyperion (Dan Simmons)
12. Endymion (Dan Simmons)
13. The Rise of Endymion (Dan Simmons)
14. Raylan (Elmore Leonard)
15. Pronto (Elmore Leonard)
16. A Local Habitation (Seanan McGuire)
17. All Seated on the Ground (Connie Willis)
18. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Lois McMaster Bujold)
19. Hitless Wonder: A Life in Minor League Rock and Roll (Joe Oestreich)
20. Throne of the Crescent Moon (Saladen Ahmed)
21. 2312 (Kim Stanley Robinson)
22. Blackbirds (Chuck Wendig)
23. Racism Explained to my Daughter (Tahar Ben Jelloun)
24. Shift Trilogy (Hugh Howey)
25. Dust (Hugh Howey)
26. The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Neil Gaiman)
27. As the World Dies: Untold Tales V 1 (Rhiannon Frater)
28. As the World Dies: Untold Tales V 2 (Rhiannon Frater)
29. As the World Dies: Untold Tales V 3 (Rhiannon Frater)
30. Swag (Elmore Leonard)
31. Mr Majestyk (Elmore Leonard)
32. Fire in the Hole (Short Stories) (Elmore Leonard)
33. Mockingbird (Chuck Wendig)
34. Three Parts Dead (Max Gladstone)
35. Redemption of the Dead (AP Fuchs)
36: Forged in Flame-In Her Name The First Empress, #2 (Michael R. Hicks)
37. Brain on Fire-My Month of Madness (Susannah Cahalan)
38. On a Red Station, Drifting - Novella (Aliette de Bodard)
39. Rat-Catcher -Novelette - (Seanan McGuire)
40. The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi -Novelette - (Pat Cadigan)
41. The Boy Who Cast No Shadow - Novelette - (Thomas Olde Heuvelt)
42. Rat-Catcher -Novelette - (Seanan McGuire)
43. The Emperor’s Soul -Novella (Brandon Sanderson)
44. After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall - Novella -Nancy Kress
45. The Stars Do Not Lie - Novella (Jay Lake)
46. San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats - Novella (Mira Grant)
47. In Sea-Salt Tears - Novellette (Seanan McGuire)
48. Fade To White - Novellette (Catherynne M. Valente)
49. The Hangman's Daughter (Oliver Pötzsch)
50. Fire and Ash (Jonathan Maberry)
51. The Passage (Justin Cronin)
52. The Twelve (Justin Cronin)
53. Dr. Sleep (Stephen King)
54. Limits of Power (Elizabeth Moon)
55. The Yiddish Policemen's Union (Michael Chabon)
56. Ark (Stephen Baxter)
57. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Ransom Riggs)
58. The Folk of the Fringe (Orson Scott Card)
59. The Savage Dead (Joe McKinney)
60. The Wind Through the Keyhole (Stephen King)
61. City Primeval (Elmore Leonard)
62. Blockade Billy (Stephen King)
63. The Moonshine War (Elmore Leonard)
64. The Book Thief (MaKus Zusak)
65. The Long Earth (Pratchett, Baxter)
66. The Long War (Pratchett, Baxter)
67. How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea (Mira Grant)
68. The Silver Dream (Michael Reaves)
69. The City & the City (China Miéville)
70. The Dark Side of Disney (Leonard Kinsey)
71. Robopocalypse (Daniel H. Wilson)
72. The Night Circus (Erin Morgenstern)
73. Escape (Carolyn Jessop and Laura Palmer)
74. Amped (Daniel H. Wilson)
75. The Mind's Eye (Oliver Sacks)
76. Snow Crash (Neil Stephenson)
77. A Brief History of Time (Stephen Hawking)
78. The Color of Magic (Terry Pratchett)
79. The Lost City of Z (David Grann)
80. Parasite (Mira Grant)
81. The Golem and the Jinni (Helene Wecker)
82. The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt)
83. Divergent (Veronica Roth)
84. The Wes Anderson Collection (Matt Zoller Seitz)
85. Ready Player One (Ernest Cline)
86. Caliban's War (James S.A. Corey--in progress)
Last edited by Ginwen; 12-24-2013 at 12:16 AM.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|The 2012 Annual Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread!||Nyssa||Reading Recommendations||779||01-03-2013 09:40 PM|
|My 2013 Challenge||stop__dreaming||Reading Recommendations||35||11-27-2012 11:38 PM|
|The 2012 Annual Reading Challenge – List Thread!||Nyssa||Reading Recommendations||79||09-25-2012 10:52 PM|
|Annual reading chalenge resource||jbcohen||Reading Recommendations||4||03-02-2012 08:22 AM|
|Unutterably Silly The First Somewhat Annual Mobile Read Holiday Letter Thread||pshrynk||Lounge||3||12-04-2008 08:54 PM|