Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iriver StoryHD
Remote Page Turning Controller

This is an experiment, cable based remote controller. Actually, it just uses the "unplug charger" event to flip the page. All you'd have to do is build a charger cable with a button that disconnects it for a short time.

https://vid.me/bVla

It could also be done through WiFi, possibly using the GoPro remote controller so you'd have a hand-held, wireless device. It's a bit too expensive to just buy it on a lark. Also, it has a short battery life and keeping WiFi always on drains the Kobo rather quickly, too.
frostschutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
surquizu
Addict
surquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O
Very interesting! It is ideal for reading in bed or a lectern. I want the final version! I will do my cable.
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
surquizu
Addict
surquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five wordssurquizu can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O
Hi frostschutz,

Is there progress in the project? I want to make my cable with button to turn pages. Which is the code or the pach?
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
To be honest, I'm not sure this is all that good for the life of the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
Is there progress in the project?
Sorry, haven't found the time/motivation to make something usable out of it yet.

Although I ordered a USB cable with a push button for around 2€ from Ebay; which works nicely if you're careful not to push it all the way through (so you can get a short trigger instead of going a full on-off click cycle).

Quote:
I'm not sure this is all that good for the life of the battery.
The battery might be fine if the device is smart enough to not charge it while already charged; even so I don't know how the rest of the electronics will handle these power events, so yeah.

I'm also looking for a way to read the magnet sensor somehow. If the magnet would trigger page flips instead of sleep, you could add a page flip button over the magnet sensor.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:12 AM   #6
cramoisi
Groupie
cramoisi can load mercury with a pitchforkcramoisi can load mercury with a pitchforkcramoisi can load mercury with a pitchforkcramoisi can load mercury with a pitchforkcramoisi can load mercury with a pitchforkcramoisi can load mercury with a pitchforkcramoisi can load mercury with a pitchforkcramoisi can load mercury with a pitchforkcramoisi can load mercury with a pitchforkcramoisi can load mercury with a pitchforkcramoisi can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo Aura (wife) - kobo gloHD (Mine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I'm also looking for a way to read the magnet sensor somehow. If the magnet would trigger page flips instead of sleep, you could add a page flip button over the magnet sensor.
That would be awesome. The only thing I'm missing from my sony ereader is the push button to switch pages ...
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User

nickel grabs the /dev/input/event0 exclusively by default so events can't be read from the outside. (event0 is the "keyboard" that includes power button and magnet sensor keys). It's possible to patch nickel to drop the exclusive access though (change grab=1 to grab=0 - lucky this isn't hardcoded). At that point an external process can read the magnet event and effect a page flip by sending a touch event.

So the pieces are all there, not sure if/when I'll get around to make a useable remote control mod out of it.