Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 AM   #1
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Sony DPT-1 13.3" Reader Discontinued?

From GoodEReader:

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...s-discontinued

Quote:
CDW is informing people who have recently ordered a DPT-S1 and telling them that the product is discontinued and the company is refunding all orders placed in the last two weeks.

{Michael Kozlowski} reached out to Sony’s other retail partner B&H and a sales rep named Adam R told me “We just had training on this from Sony, maybe a month ago. They never mentioned that it was discontinued.”
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
Ghitulescu
Addict
Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: PRS-T1
Yet another item to be displayed in the Museum of failure belonging to Sony.

This would have been a really really good device, should it have been marketed accordingly.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
I don't claim to have information from Sony about this, but Goodereader is in direct competition with the Sony DPT-S1, as they are selling a rebranded Netronix device, I'm not saying that this is a cheap marketing strategy, they could be honestly reporting on what they received, but I wouldn't take it unless there is an official Sony statement.

I just checked both websites that sell the Sony B&H & CDW, and they both still sell the device

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_system.html

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/So...h/3582492.aspx

So, if CDW is pulling the device because it's discontinued, shouldn't they remove it from their store first? why let people pay and then apologise and refund?

Besides, as in the article:

Quote:
I reached out to Sony’s other retail partner B&H and a sales rep named Adam R told me “We just had training on this from Sony, maybe a month ago. They never mentioned that it was discontinued.”
Now, I'm not saying that Sony wouldn't discontinue the device, they could, and yes it's 2 years old now, but there is nothing new in this field (e-paper) to come with something new, it's not a tablet that becomes outdated after two weeks of its release , although, they could push the specs up a little and come up with DPT-S1+

Two years or not, it's still the best option for a 13" ereader, better than the Netronix and better than Max, a device is not only hardware and memory, it's also the software that runs it, and the Sony software is just the best out there.

Sony still have the production line, they are manufacturing this for GVIDO

http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/0...uts-in-cannes/

Anyway, I hope they don't discontinue the project, since they are the only ones that got it right.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
That site makes shit up all the time.
Nate the great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
umeshg
Enthusiast
umeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony DPTS-1
Interesting price reduced

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tml#searchOpen
umeshg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
Begemot
Connoisseur
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
I just (Jul 25th) ordered Sony DPT-1 from BH, they claim to have it in stock and delivery should be by Wednesday.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshg View Post
Just noticed this and saw it on The Digital Reader too. On Amazon, shipping time has extended to "2 to 5 weeks" which is crazy.

I have a feeling a new model is coming, so my thread title is maybe not so incorrect after all
Old 08-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
tnforpaul45
Zealot

Amazon is completely out of stock it appears.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #9
Ghitulescu
Addict
Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.Ghitulescu is at one with the great books of the world.

It takes a while for a product to disappear from the shelves (of the end customer) after it was no longer manufactured. This delay is bigger as the product is more expensive - unless there is a manufacturer-seller agreement (return policy, storage policy etc.).
Old 08-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #10
Orange Gelato
Orange Gelato can shake the floor when laughingOrange Gelato can shake the floor when laughingOrange Gelato can shake the floor when laughingOrange Gelato can shake the floor when laughingOrange Gelato can shake the floor when laughingOrange Gelato can shake the floor when laughingOrange Gelato can shake the floor when laughingOrange Gelato can shake the floor when laughingOrange Gelato can shake the floor when laughingOrange Gelato can shake the floor when laughingOrange Gelato can shake the floor when laughing

Device: M96
Hi all,

I don't really think it is discontinued like the Goodereader people were saying (I think they later said that they were wrong about this). From the videos I have seen on this forum, the DPT-S1 looks like a really cool and capable machine. Unless Sony is making a better Dpt-s2 that I haven't heard of, I do not think they would discontinue such a useful product. Although, Sony has made some mistakes like that in the past and I still don't know why they left the smaller e-reader marketplace totally.

Maybe the delay could be to some production snag in the manufacture chain?
Orange Gelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:04 AM   #11
Ghitulescu
Addict

They left the eReader market for it was not "premium" enough for them. Read: not financially attractive.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
bcbob
bcbob began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
OOS at BHPhotovideo

BHPhotoVideo page
Quote:
Back-ordered
Ship Time: Not available

Expected availability: September 09 2016
Also price increased to $800.
bcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #13
Begemot
Connoisseur
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Whew, so happy that I managed to order mine from BHP for the sale price.

So far I am very impressed with DPT-S1 build quality. So light!

My only worry is that somehow the stylus will break the screen.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #14
bcbob
bcbob began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Still OOS at BJPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbob View Post
BHPhotoVideo page

Also price increased to $800.
Update 9/9/16 (previous estimated date of availability)

Quote:
Back-ordered
Ship Time: Not available

Expected availability: September 14 2016
bcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 AM   #15
teotjunk
Enthusiast
teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.teotjunk could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
It has been out of stock for a long time. Wonder why?
teotjunk is offline   Reply With Quote