Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
wemet
wemet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
SSH - Connection Refused - Going Insane

I'm quite new to this but I've read 10 zillion different threads trying to solve this.

-I have firmware 4.1.1
-I've successfully jailbroken
-I installed the simple usbNetwork hack
-Comp ip set to: 192.168.15.1 - Successfully pinged.
-Kindle ip: 192.168.15.244 - Successfully pinged.

I put the kindle in diagnostic mode, open up Putty and try to SSH to 192.168.15.244 but always get 'Connection Refused'.

I've also tried to SSh to Kindle from the home screen by doing: ;debugON and ~usbNetwork. When I do, the Kindle successfully goes into the usb network mode (and is no longer recognized as a mass storage device) but not I cannot ping the kindle and get 'Connection timed out' when trying to SSh with Putty.

-I'm using Windows 7 FYI

I assume my ignorance is causing me to miss a very simple, yet crucial step. Anyone know what that step is? Hhhhhhhhelp!
wemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Is there any reason you wouldn't ask this in that thread? All the right people would get notified of your issue...

Win 7... so no easy helpful toolset included for free... I guess you should check that port 22 actually exists.

One more thing - you say you "enter Diags" - and yet you talked about usbnetworking.

So are you trying to use a "built in" version of ssh (DIAGS ONE)
or Nilujes Usbnetworking (via wifi)

Because this seems like a mix of the two concepts.

What is the END GOAL, as Nilujes Usbnetworking does not require you do all this DIAGS stuff... I honestly am not grasping the big picture.

Someone did walk-through something similar recently http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204450
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
you installed usbnetwork on main - so you want to use it from main. Unplug kindle, reboot it to main, enable usbnetwork as per the instructions for the K4 (I think it's `debugOn; ~usbNetwork, but again, trust the instructions, not my memory). Finally plug the kindle to the computer and it will show up as a networked device, and ssh will work. As simple as that.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... (I think it's `debugOn; ~usbNetwork, but again, trust the instructions, not my memory).... As simple as that.
Yeah maybe it is ;debugON and ~usbNetwork on a 4. I recall Niluje saying it was a funny mix. so yeah... read the docs. boot to main. profit.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
Yep, ;debugOn then ~usbNetwork on the K4 (it's case insensitive, so ;debugon & ~usbnetwork works, too, which helps, because the virtual keyboard is annoying enough as it is ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote