Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
Intelligencer
Intelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to beholdIntelligencer is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo, Sony, Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Does anyone have a link for this firmware yet?
Still not getting this pushed via wifi...

Link appreciated.
Intelligencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
release notes:
As well as what is in the release notes, 2.3.1 includes:
  • Improved handling of font/setting changes. It doesn't hang as often.
  • Series information supported and displayed. This is in 2.2.x, but most people won't have seen it. The calibre driver was updated in 0.9.8 to support this.
  • The reading percentage has been moved from the title bar to the bottom left when reading.
  • For kepubs, pressing the percent read brings up a progress info dialog.
  • When the clock goes away in the title bar, the book title is displayed.
  • Margin handling for epubs has changed.
    • The font settings dialog will change the line margins for most epubs. I don't know if the other settings will also changed.
    • Margin settings in the dialog are now in steps of 2 instead of 3.

A couple of my "favourite" bugs have been fixed:
  • Deleting or changing annotations from the annotations list works!
  • When closing the annotations list, the top bar is no longer still displayed
About the series information:
  • For kepubs, this comes from the Kobo server. Not all books have it yet but Kobo are adding it. The book titles still tend to include the series info.
  • For sideloaded books, the device doesn't read it from anywhere. The epub standard does not include series info in the metadata, so that causes problems with retrieving it. The calibre driver can update the information in the devices database, but cannot do this when you send the book to the device. It can only do this after the device processes the book and adds it the database.
  • Sorting on the device includes the series info as part of the title. The series name and number are put in front of the title.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-15-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Forgot about margin handling and changed the formatting
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Italics have been removed from some fonts and replaced with bold (including Gill sans and Kobo Nickel, two of my favourite).

It's a shame that the progress bar is only available for kepubs. Kobo has been introducing a lot of the new features (and the return of some old ones) on exclusively on kepubs at first, then bringing them to epubs much later. Is the coding for the two formats really that different or are they just trying to promote books from their store? I am merely curious, not making a wild accusation.

Also, what is this about checking reading stats while reading?

Last edited by kobokobe; 12-15-2012 at 08:24 PM.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
My Mini just updated to 2.3.0. Hopefully Touch will get something as well.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keslynn View Post
My Mini just updated to 2.3.0. Hopefully Touch will get something as well.
Is the 2.3.0 what was on the release notes? If you check the device information in settings, it will probably show 2.3.1.
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #21
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

^ this is what happened to my Glo. I was told the device updated to 2.3.0 (with the same change logs as the OP) but under device information, it shows 2.3.1
Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
^ this is what happened to my Glo. I was told the device updated to 2.3.0 (with the same change logs as the OP) but under device information, it shows 2.3.1
That's what I expect. Kobo seem to only put revision information for the x.x.0 versions of the firmware. But then they release the x.x.1 version instead.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is the 2.3.0 what was on the release notes? If you check the device information in settings, it will probably show 2.3.1.
You're correct. Just checked and it's on 2.3.1 though the release notes said 2.3.0.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #24
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
- For sideloaded books, the device doesn't read it from anywhere. The epub standard does not include series info in the metadata, so that causes problems with retrieving it. The calibre driver can update the information in the devices database, but cannot do this when you send the book to the device. It can only do this after the device processes the book and adds it the database.
For IIRC two weeks now calibre can send series information to the the Kobo, you upload the books, disconnect, wait until the book infos have been processed, the reconnect and calibre sends the series information.
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Italics have been removed from some fonts and replaced with bold (including Gill sans and Kobo Nickel, two of my favourite).
What is with Kobo's war on italics?!?!?! I've been forced to use Gil Sans because it was the only sans font with non-broken italics. And now it's borked too?!?!

Besides that MAJOR bug, every font that isn't Georgia also has a very limited character set.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #26
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
What is with Kobo's war on italics?!?!?
Because they're slanty...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #27
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycymru View Post
[...]plus if you tap in the bottom, middle half of the screen it dispays % read, which I think is a feature some people were after.
Wait, what? What's a middle half?

Quote:
It's a shame that the progress bar is only available for kepubs.
Noooo I wanted it for epubs much more badly Unless they've finally given us the option to read all the pages per total pages instead of reading chapter pages per chapter total (so annoying).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #28
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Italics have been removed from some fonts and replaced with bold (including Gill sans and Kobo Nickel, two of my favourite.
Really? How can one use a font with no italics? I find this very hard to understand. What do they use for BoldItalic?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #29
kobokobe
I am what I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Really? How can one use a font with no italics? I find this very hard to understand. What do they use for BoldItalic?
I can't. Gill Sans and Kobo Nickel were my favourites along with Caecillia, now they are not . I'm not sure I've ever actually encountered BoldItalic in any book that I read so can't say (or maybe none of the Kobo fonts have bolditalic).
Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #30
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
It was only the other day I was reading something with bold italics; this was in a paragraph that was completely bold, and then a phrase was in italics, so I don't think it is too uncommon. Glad I'm using a custom font now.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote