Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
shewillfall
shewillfall began at the beginning.

Device: None!
Which eBook Reader would fit me? Kindle? Sony? Cybook?

Hi, everyone!

Newbie here, but I've honestly gotten a bit confused and thought I would ask you guys who are well versed in the world of ebook readers.

Basically, I want an ebook reader that can read PDFs well. At first I thought I would be fine with a Kindle Paperwhite 2, but after reading some reviews/here, perhaps this is not a good idea?

I mostly download PDFs (and I've seen its possible to download EPUB as well, but I don't know the difference), or have PDFs sent to me as reading material in my art academy. I would like to have a dictionary function, as English is not my first language, and it would be handy to look up words within the device instead of using my phone/book. I don't want an LCD-screen like an iPad, as I have attention-issues and I would start playing games on it instead. Plus, I think it would be better for my eyes to read on an eInk tablet.

I've been looking at Kindle Paperwhite 2 as I mentioned, and also Cybook Frontlight (under the name Letto Frontlight here in Sweden), and Sony Reader but those seems hard to find in Sweden.

Short summary:
- PDFs compatible
- Dictionary function
- not LCD

Last edited by shewillfall; 04-13-2015 at 10:39 AM.
shewillfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
No 6" reading device will read PDFs well. You really need a larger-screen device.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yup.

pocketbook inkpad or cybook ocean.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No 6" reading device will read PDFs well. You really need a larger-screen device.
I disagree. I read text pdfs (manuals, reports) on my sony all the time. It's not as good as epub, but it's fine to read text. The main issue I have come across is that the pages end according to the document so you get the last section of a page which might end up halfway down the screen or less. Otherwise it reflows the lines and paragraphs fine. If the text is in columns or there are a lot of graphics then there might be problems, but I haven't read many of those on my sony.

OP, it depends what kind of documents you are reading and whether the issue I described above would bother you or not. I've only used sonys, so I can't comment on other epub brands or kindles, but I've read a lot of pdfs on each of my sonys (prs-300, T1, T2).
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindles don't reflow PDFs. To do that, you have to convert to mobi format, which is easy for PDFs without a lot of fancy formatting. You can just email it to your Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote