Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Lies, damned lies and statistics!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro

OMG, I KNEW I shouldn't have trusted my phones audio dictate feature when responding!!!

SADISTIC!!!

jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #18
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I'd chain her round the neck so if she fell asleep she'd strangle herself. Or have it so tight she'd need to be standing on her toes all the time.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good idea....I'm working with the prologue now so I may add that in....I'll update the blog when it's done and see what people think of the revised version. Not much will change, but will be incorporating alot of what you had said.

and who said statisticians weren't sadistic?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
jhempel24
Wizard

Okay, updated to reflect some suggestions....hopefully it works out better...all critique is welcome! Anything will help me be a better writer!

joehempel at the blogspot dot come site
Old 12-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #21
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
You repeat chained to the wall naked within a couple of sentences, and you have her laying in her own filth when she's chained upright. And her hair wouldn't smell of urine unless she was upside down.

"Show don't tell" was the most useful thing someone taught me.

(The girl stood in the darkness naked)

She shivered in the darkness (from a draught blowing across something that would be covered if she wasn't naked?).

That sort of thing. Get inside her head and describe what you feel, not what's happening to you.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #22
jhempel24
Wizard

Thanks, that is some great advice. I will go back tonight at work and fix in my downtime. I've just got to figure out how to "show" total darkness. I don't want a draft, or light, or anything. I want there to be absolutely nothing for her senses.

I'll be back tonight.

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #23
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
It's a worthy experiment. I have been trying this to unknown results. But in time I think the episodic approach will work out, especially as tablets become more popular.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
My1st thought was of that being how the classic authors that we all know (Stevenson, Dickens, etc) did it back in the day in the newspapers before they then had them printed up in novel format. So there is a precedent to it. Newspaper => Printed Novel and now Blog => ebook.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #25
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I wrote a couple of novels a chapter at a time with feedback from friends, and I've got to say it really helped me keep focus on what I was doing and where I was going. I didn't feel as though I could simply slack off. So I made it through my first novel and then my second, and now I seem to have no trouble getting through a novel. With self-publishing, you know it's going to be read by someone, even if it's only one person, and for me that acts as a spur to creativity.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote