Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
blacknail
blacknail began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question First e-book reader with a specific purpose & restrictions

Hello all,

I am currently considering buying my first e-book reader. I want to use it mainly in a very specific context: helping me during my radio broadcasting shows. So, to be more specific, I just need it to read PDFs (or equivalent) with text, created in my laptop at home, and I'm looking for something low-end: I don't need wi-fi or 3G, nor display colours, nor touch screen, nor video, mp3 or radio capabilities. It is desirable that it has good readability with light, (so I guess a e-ink display is desirable, guess a backlit one isn't crucial). Important things are also the ability to edit the documents (or to take notes), but also not vital. The most crucial thing is price: I won't spend more than 50€ (or equivalent in other currencies) in it.

Just to finish, some details that can be important: I don't own a smartphone, only a dumbphone (with Bluetooth, though). I also have a laptop (where I create the documents) with Bluetooth and I run Linux in it. If absolutely mandatory, I can also run Windows in it.

I've searched a little over the web and got to no conclusions. txtr beagle (http://us.txtr.com/beagle/) seemed like an almost perfect solution, but it turned out that a smartphone is needed to operate with it, and also it seems it will only be sold by telecommunications companies in selected countries and only with subscriptions.

So, does anyone has an advice on something more or less similar to what I need & looking for?

Thank you all very much in advance,
João
blacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
PDFs created for a page size of 8.5 x 11 are not going to work well on any 6" screen ereader. You will have to pan and zoom too much. If you create the PDF files yourself, you can create them with a more appropriate page size, and any ereader that reads PDF files should work ok.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
blacknail

Thanks for your quick reply, Susan. PDF format is not mandatory, I just mentioned it because I'm used to create my radio scripts in PDF. I can create the document in other open, compatible formats :] If you have any suggestion or model, please let me know!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For an ebook reader, you need to create in either ePub (most ereaders), or .mobi (Kindle) formats. There are various free programs that you can use to convert Word documents output in filtered HTML to the various formats. Being a Kindle person, I would recommend a Kindle.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You don't say where you are based?

You'll struggle to get anything that cheap, unless you buy second hand.... there was the Binatone ReadMe Classic that a couple of places were selling pretty cheaply (UK £35-50), but that was 1-2 years ago, can't see anywhere selling it now.

Currently there is the Kobo Mini (UK £49) it's got a smaller 5" screen and is a touch screen, more of a pocket reader, but it's probably the cheapest new one available, as well as the standard ebook format EPUB, it can handle both PDF and TXT files too.

The basic Kindle (£69 in the UK) has the more standard 6" screen and isn't a touch screen reader, it uses Amazon's MOBI/AZW ebook format and can handle PDF & TXT files.

I don't think either would be any good for editing or taking notes though.

You are right about the txtr beagle, it wouldn't be of any use to you (can't read anything other than the files that are loaded onto it via the smartphone and they aren't a standard file but some sort of image file).

Last edited by soulfuldog; 01-08-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: To correct supported files
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
As you're creating your pdf files yourself you can use pdf. Simply take care to create them for a page 9x12 cm.
Another possibility would be to create html files and convert them via Sigil or Calibre into epub. These are all open formats/programs.
I don't know of any ereader where you can edit the documents on the device. That's only possible on your laptop. What you can do is taking notes or making scribbles.
And I'm afraid you will have to spend a little bit more than 50 Euros. One advice would be the Sony PRS-T2 that sells in Germany for 99 Euros.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard

The Kindle can't handle .doc files unless they are converted to .mobi format.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The Kindle can't handle .doc files unless they are converted to .mobi format.
Oops sorry you are right Susan, I missed the part that says it supports the following files through conversion..... I'll edit my post with the correction!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
blacknail

Thank you all. By the way, l_macd, I'm from Portugal. I was hoping there was some old Kindle (or other model) version still available in some obscure site, but I guess that I'll only have luck in the second hand market (eBay, etc). Nevertheless and again, thanks!

Tags
low-cost, low-end