Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2016, 12:33 AM   #1
jabus
jabus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jabus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jabus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jabus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jabus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 2
Help :( Old jailbroken kindle 2, looking to uninstall or update

Hey folks, I've been a longtime lurker on these forums. Over the years my Kindle 2, international has become a monster of mods and jailbroken patches. I suspect because I have no backups of these files I'm not gonna get any answers I would want to hear, but I'm hoping someone smarter than me might have a good idea for this one.

So here's the situation:

1) I have a kindle 2, international jailbroken
2) It's running on kindle version 3.2.1 that I updated at some point
3) With the security patch that came out in March, it wouldn't auto download over night so I knew I would have to manually do it, which is where I'm at now

This gets even trickier because I'm sure I broke something at some point where I no longer even have the kindle detected by windows, but I can still putty into it and transfer/wget files. It also seems like the security update is just an update to the cacerts file.

Here's what I'm wondering, is it possible still for me to revert out of all the ugly changes I did to the kindle and get it back to stock to try and get that security update in place? Or alternatively, would it be as simple as asking for someone elses cacerts file or does that contain information that is different per device? Or option 3, im way of base and I should just give up? I tried throwing the Kindle Services Update which belongs to software version 2.5.8 but as expected it complained on restart (i suspect because im running 3.2.1).

Any help would be great, any brains out there have some ideas for me to try? I'm open to half fixes, basically the ideal scenario is I get the security patch installed.
jabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O
Can't comment about doing the patch manually, but you can definitely check the system logs (;dm in the Homescreen's searchbar) to see which file the updater is crapping on, that should hopefully help us point you to the exact hack you need to revert.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
jabus
jabus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jabus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jabus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jabus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jabus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi NiLuJe, Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if that search/log option is available in 2nd gen? I went to the home screen --> menu button --> search --> ;dm

The kindle sits there for a few seconds then flashes and remains blank. I suspect I'm either doing something wrong or this option isn't quite available. Thoughts?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It should dump a few log files into the userstore.

Check [userstore]/documents/*_logs_as_of_*.txt (they should show up as Books/Personal Documents on the device).

You can tell if the command is available, because if it isn't then you will end up creating a search which will return "0 results found".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O
And yeah, it should definitely work on the K2i.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
jabus

Thanks all, through further troubleshooting it looks like I may have borked it a bit. I'm now permastuck at "please wait a moment while your kindle starts up" with no amount of holding the power button/slider resetting it. I'm gonna let the battery drain out over the next 2-3 months and maybe come back to this again. But you know what, it's not a big deal it's an old device that was on its last legs for me anyway, so I'll call the thread here. But I do appreciate everyone helping me out.

Cheers.